saving a planned route

ra

Apr 13, 2021, 5:36:58 AM4/13/21
to OsmAnd
I always stumble across the same problem: in the evening I make a plan for a trip and build a route in osmand, i.e. starting from my home to X. next morning I want to use that exact route, not just a newly calculated one, now starting on my actual place, switching GPS on. how can I save the "evening"-route to use it in that way? I do not find an option for that. thank you!

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 13, 2021, 7:46:42 AM4/13/21
to OsmAnd
This video might help.  The basic idea is to plan the route with the trip planner feature and locate it for navigation in My places.

Peter Elderson

Apr 13, 2021, 8:13:16 AM4/13/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Learned a few new things!
Peter Elderson

ra

Apr 13, 2021, 8:53:46 AM4/13/21
to OsmAnd
thank you bart! i have seen your great movie before. but: for such a route I have to do everything from scratch, cannot use any stored favorites or adresses - so it seems. is it possible to save an built route with altered waypoints and use it later with GPS on?

ra

Apr 15, 2021, 2:20:19 PM4/15/21
to OsmAnd
no idea for that? - another "missing link" is to pause a route. there is only "verwerfen" and "fortfahren" - one means delete what i have created, the other continue - and that means whenever I make a break that lady in my pocket keeps talkin' ...

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 15, 2021, 6:10:40 PM4/15/21
to OsmAnd
If you mean using "plan a route" function you build your gpx track and save in My places. And the day after you "follow track" in the "directions" options. If you mean using "directions", setting start, destination, intermediate destinations to see intermediate distance and so on, I think you can not save this. It's one of the improvement to do together with saving waypoints/favorites as internediate destinations on requests without having everytime you use the app to set them as markers again. Osmand in "directions" could trasform the waypoints of track in intermediate destinations, that would be fantastic and also a solution for saving directions.

Peter Elderson

Apr 16, 2021, 2:03:01 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Saved (calculated) routes, as opposed to saved tracks, I like that.
Offer to save when starting or pausing navigation.
Separate tab in My Places.
Offer as a target option in navigation ("Route to ...") .

Isn't there already a route exchange format e.g. when using brouter to calculate routes instead of OsmAnds own routing engine?

Peter Elderson

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 16, 2021, 4:03:19 AM4/16/21
to OsmAnd
Hi Peter, I think saving calculated routes (directions on osmand) it would be complicated because it would mean to skip the intelligence of the engine the second time you use that routes, and routes are made to be calculated depending on the map/streets conditions in that very moment, so they need to be updated everytime to get a valid answer. And I don't know any software who save routes/directions, including google maps.
BUT, it would pefect if we could save the "parameters" we set to calculate a route, not only the track to follow, but also intermediate destinations and waypoints/favorites along the routes as intermediate points plus all other options you can set in directions menu. Making a good job the first time with many points and parameters it would give aprox the same routes everytime or whatever the best solution considering them... This would be the goal for me.

Peter Elderson

Apr 16, 2021, 5:11:05 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea,

This sounds great to me! Too bad I can't help with programming, but I can test, and give feedback  about usability, if that helps.
Peter Elderson

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 16, 2021, 5:45:27 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry but I'm in the same condition : )
I asked in other threads but I take advantage of your kindness....do you the proximity message with name about waypoints when you follow a track? I'm not able to turn them on.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OsmAnd" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/CAKf%3DP%2BuGZ15R1-O189kE0PnfB3hdwgWkDKNCQH5Bixd4h7pJ5g%40mail.gmail.com.

Peter Elderson

Apr 16, 2021, 5:54:09 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I thought I got that in the past - but no, they were not waypoints but POI's. I'll have a go at it on my next hike.

Vr gr Peter Elderson

rjgambrel

Apr 16, 2021, 9:49:30 AM4/16/21
to OsmAnd
I have been experimenting with one way to deal with the problem. The overall approach I am trying is to:

1) Design a route I would like to follow. I am using brouter.de (the web interface)
2) Export it to a Google Drive folder I call GPS Routes (not an important detail, but just the way I do it)
3) On phone I import the specific route (more about this in a bit)
4) I make sure that route is visible and give it a distinct color and width (why will be apparent in a minute)
5) On OSMAND I create a few POIs. They are usually somewhere on the route I just created. For example if I have a big loop for a route, I might create one at a far point on the route, then also one at my finish point (same as start for a loop). Below I call them point A and B.
6) I favorite the POIs A & B
7) I have done all of this without actually beginning my trip
8) At beginning of trip I start navigation to point A. I do not try to improve the route that OSMAND choses.
9) At this point on OSMAND screen you can see the OSMAND route with turn by turn instructions AND you can see the route I picked
10) Occasionally I look at the OSMAND screen and if I have deviated from my route, I get back on it.
11) If it hasn't done so yet, OSMAND will eventually chose a route that is similar or same as one I picked (to point A)
12) when I get to point A, I then ask OSMAND to navigate to point B

Regarding #3. I actually do this for many routes. I call them segments. I am a cyclist and have many favorite routes to take. I am building up a number of medium size segments that can be thought of as a web of routes. My intent is display the entire web on my phone (or sometimes just a subset of it) I haven't yet, but might choose to color them differently.

Regarding POIs. I actually create many of them that serve as nodes in my web.

This is not automatic but does solve the problem that I had in which I want OSMAND turn by turn, but I do not want to have to plan my route on OSMAND. It is good enough for me if I can have OSMAND plan to go to some point I choose and display for me the route I would like to take. In my case I don't mind getting off course a bit as long as I can see where I would like to be and have OSMAND try to get me to my destination.

I have not included specific instructions above, just "psuedo instructions". I can provide details if there is an interest. I can also give some renders of the POIs and route segments.

I am a cyclist doing rides from 10 mi to 50 mi who wants various routes to choose depending on my mood.

Peter Elderson

Apr 16, 2021, 9:54:12 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you are actually creating your own private node network for cycling!

Peter Elderson

Bob Gambrel

Apr 16, 2021, 9:57:03 AM4/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com