No more support for Android 5.x

Egal

Oct 5, 2021, 8:11:48 AM10/5/21
to OsmAnd
It seems, that osmand will cut off the support for the Android versions 5.0, 5.1 and 5.1.1 and fire the users of these versions. This will start with OSMand version 4.1.x.
OSMand will get worse and more and more worse.
Since version 3.9.3 users of the paid google version of OSMand can't use it, when they havn't installed the spy services of google. And now the users of Android 5.x will be fired. The developers of OSMand have got our money and now we can go.

Stefan Monnier

Oct 5, 2021, 9:17:56 AM10/5/21
to Egal, OsmAnd
> Since version 3.9.3 users of the paid google version of OSMand can't use
> it, when they havn't installed the spy services of google. And now the
> users of Android 5.x will be fired. The developers of OSMand have got our
> money and now we can go.

I'm not sure how the version of Osmand in Google Apps works, but the
I get from F-Droid doesn't require any Google service, AFAICT (running
in LineageOS here, without any of the "gapps" installed).

Stefan

Dmitry Prodchenko

Oct 6, 2021, 4:08:23 AM10/6/21
to OsmAnd
Hello, Egal! Thank you for the feedback.
Yes, starting November all OsmAnd updates will require a minimum of Android 6. Due to Google Play requirements:
Starting in November 2021, app updates will be required to target API level 30 or above and adjust for behavioral changes in Android 11. Existing apps that are not receiving updates are unaffected and can continue to be downloaded from the Play Store. Wear OS apps must continue to target API level 28 or higher. https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/target-sdk

Egal

Oct 8, 2021, 7:52:24 AM10/8/21
to OsmAnd
OSMand gets more and more a slave of the world spying moloch google. I did like OSMand because it was a software free of google spy software (called google services). But now OSMand is a slave of this moloch. The moloch says "jump" and the developers of OSMand jumps. There should be another way to distribute the OSMand+Live version without the Play Store of the moloch. Boykott the Play Store and Google and its restrictions.
@Stefan: The version you get from F-Droid is not the OSMand+Live version, it is the free OSMand~ version. This is not the same.

Stefan Monnier

Oct 8, 2021, 8:18:25 AM10/8/21
to Egal, OsmAnd
> @Stefan: The version you get from F-Droid is not the OSMand+Live version,
> it is the free OSMand~ version. This is not the same.

I wouldn't know (nor care too much). I'm pretty happy with it (tho
I wish it could magically be less resource-intensive ;-)

Stefan