Re: Option to disable Turn by Turn Voice prompts

Paul Johnson

Dec 13, 2021, 9:36:00 AM12/13/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
It's in the navigation settings.  Turn sound off.  You can do this while navigating, just press the direction buttons, set sound to off, and hit resume.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM kajt...@gmail.com <kajt...@gmail.com> wrote:
When I  searched I found that the problem with too many voice prompts during navigation was discussed many times but I did not find a good solution.
If this forum is monitored by the development team please respond to this e-mail by saying if my proposal could be implemented.
My proposal is to make another switch in Voice prompts to enable or disable turn-by-turn prompts that are generated by OSMAnd and I can see looking in details. This would allow to silence them but still have the option to enable track waypoints or favorites prompts to be announced.
If a trail is simple with only a few turn-by-turn prompts then they are useful, if a hiking trail has many zig-zags they are annoying with announcements on every turn every 10-15 meters.
The switch would allow making manually a few useful wpts or favorites along the trail and they only would be announced.
On a long trail, I may need only a few voice prompts,  like when thas path crosses another path and the wpt titled, "go straight" or "go left"  would help to choose the proper path without need to look at the phone.
I hope I am clear about what I am asking for.

Andrzej

Harry van der Wolf

Dec 13, 2021, 9:45:47 AM12/13/21
to osmand
You can even make this as a "two tap" shortcut on your screen.
Settings -> configure Screen -> Quick Action
Add the voice prompts on/off

And then you can move the Quick Action icon to any place you like.

Harry

kajt...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2021, 11:34:30 PM12/13/21
to OsmAnd
This is not what I need.  I want to turn off only turn-by-turn announcements but still have track points, nearby favorites or POI announced.

Harry van der Wolf

Dec 14, 2021, 5:56:26 AM12/14/21
to osmand
That is currently not possible in Osmand. Instructions are on or off.
This is a "users help users" mailing list which is hardly visited by the developers.
Please file a feature request to the issue list that the developers do follow: Issues · osmandapp/OsmAnd · GitHub
And please specify it clearly like you did in your last mail "I want to turn off only turn-by-turn announcements but still have track points, nearby favorites or POI announced."

best,
Harry

Tom Crocker

Dec 14, 2021, 2:25:00 PM12/14/21
to OsmAnd

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM kajt...@gmail.com <kajt...@gmail.com> wrote:
When I  searched I found that the problem with too many voice prompts during navigation was discussed many times but I did not find a good solution.

You may know this already but it sounds like you're describing instructions at each bend instead of each junction. If you create the route in osmand you'll get far fewer instructions.