How to speedup osmand

Martin Trautmann

Mar 1, 2024, 8:10:56 AMMar 1
to Osmand
The latest osmand versions may take several minutes now until they will
show any map at all - although osmand might ask me immediately whether
to follow the initial route and then cause extra trouble with no map
available and routing on that one at the same time.

How could this be improved again?

Yes, of course I could use some local maps only and delete any other map.

I could use street maps only, without all the other data.

However, this OSM info is what makes osmand special.

So what I would like is any mechanism to make osmand faster again - e.g.

* I have BOTH street maps and full maps. Osmand would start up with the
street map only and would add local extra info only if needed.

* I could mark certain maps as currently inactive - there are several
contries where I do not want to use the bandwith to delete and download
the data again and again, although I won't go there within the next 12
months.

Or even better: I could use several storage locations, the local street
map on internal memory, but the little used other maps on the external
SD memory.

Maybe osmand could suggest to me which maps should be moved to internal
storage, while others had not been used for months, whether those should
be moved to external SD memory.

Dany Coomans

Mar 1, 2024, 8:31:58 AMMar 1
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Exactly, i have the same questions, for the rest osmand is super 👍

ralph lumen

Mar 1, 2024, 10:19:50 AMMar 1
to OsmAnd
hell, what maps do you use besides the street maps? what have I missed? on my pixel 4a my map is ready after 5 seconds ...

Martin Trautmann

Apr 19, 2024, 10:50:57 AMApr 19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On 01.03.24 15:05, ralph lumen wrote:
> hell, what maps do you use besides the street maps? what have I missed?
> on my pixel 4a my map is ready after 5 seconds ...

Today I had waited for 30 minutes for osmand to show the maps. So while
coming closer to the final destination I just turned osmand off and used
google maps instead.

As long as osmand+ does not change its behavior how to load its maps,
it's useless by now.

I got middle Europe on my phone, including Wikipedia and the full maps
with extra data. I have turned off shading and heights. But being close
to France and Switzerland, within the southwest part of Germany seems to
be a massive overload for osmand by now.

Instead Google Maps now offers me to download offline maps for the
actual routing I need.

Tom Crocker

Apr 19, 2024, 6:17:29 PMApr 19
to OsmAnd

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024, 13:10 'Martin Trautmann' via OsmAnd, <osm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

So what I would like is any mechanism to make osmand faster again - e.g.
* I could mark certain maps as currently inactive - there are several
contries where I do not want to use the bandwith to delete and download
the data again and again, although I won't go there within the next 12
months.
I can't tell from what you've written if you know you can mark certain maps as inactive/ reactivate them as necessary? I have several dozen maps deactivated and only a couple active. It does make a surprising difference.

Tom

Martin Trautmann

Apr 20, 2024, 5:50:49 AMApr 20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I wonder whether my system is completely messed up by now, due to the
changes of Googles memory policy.

For a few days now osmand always asks me on startup about its storage place.

At the moment it's on multiuser space 2 which names a path of
/storage/82A1-7ABC/Android/obb/net.osmand.plus
It's just a guess that this might be the "SD-Card".

The file managers that I checked no longer have access to these folders.

So I re-installed the typical maps which I actually need - and those now
are used again.

However, when I check for my local maps, all the other maps are still
shown. They are all marked with green, claiming to be the most recent
version, although all the old ones are from 1.12.2023 while the actual
new ones are from 01.04.2024

The map info does not show me where those maps actually are. I have the
icons
1) box with dropdown, telling me zero of one files have been deactivated
2) refresh spin arrows, do not work
3) edit pencil, does not work
4) upload from box, which asks me for the file manager
5) trash

So the maps are there, but are not there. I guess I'll walk through all
of them and trash them manually. But when I try, osmand tells me "zero
of one files have been deleted".

I feel it's not only Google's memory concept that was flawed by a
protection that I actually do not want, but also by osmands failure to
provide a useful migration policy and a now corrupted memory concept.

I wonder where else I still have dumps of former map storage locations
since those were created once and now are not longer accessible, while
they still are found by some other way.

Deactivation of maps should be done within osmand automatically, in
order to use only the most relevant maps within <100 km distance for a
reasonable startup speed.

I guess I should tell the system setup to delete all of osmand directly.
Is there any other way to clean up that mess?

I do not even understand the difference of "standard maps" vs "sources":
Standardkarten: 21.2 GB
Quellen: 33.84 GB

How can I save and export my own data (tracks, favorits etc.) before I
tell the system to remove all osmand data?

Peter B - pebogufi

Apr 20, 2024, 7:34:25 AMApr 20
to OsmAnd
Try changing location of osmand installation
from
storage/82A1-7ABC/Android/obb/net.osmand.plus
storage/82A1-7ABC/Android/media/net.osmand.plus

With android version 12 and newer this may help.
There are a lot of reports about this access problem.
Grüsse Peter

Martin Trautmann

Apr 20, 2024, 8:19:37 AMApr 20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On 20.04.24 13:34, Peter B - pebogufi wrote:
> Try changing location of osmand installation
> from
> storage/82A1-7ABC/Android/obb/net.osmand.plus
> storage/82A1-7ABC/Android/media/net.osmand.plus
>
> With android version 12 and newer this may help.
> There are a lot of reports about this access problem.

Very interesting. However, I can't create net.osmand.plus within media
(no write permission) and I can't access this folder since it does not
contain any maps yet.

Peter B - pebogufi

Apr 20, 2024, 8:48:10 AMApr 20
to OsmAnd
Within osmand use setting folder to "manual".
Works with androud 12.
It would help to know which android version do you use.

Martin Trautmann

Apr 20, 2024, 9:09:53 AMApr 20
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Peter B - pebogufi
On 20.04.24 14:48, Peter B - pebogufi wrote:
> Within osmand use setting folder to "manual".
> Works with androud 12.
> It would help to know which android version do you use.

it's Android 12 SP1A.210812.016

ralph lumen

Apr 20, 2024, 1:34:14 PMApr 20
to OsmAnd
what sense makes it to deactivate maps instead of deleting them? why should I want to activate then outdated maps? how should that even speed up osmand?

Tom Crocker

Apr 20, 2024, 1:54:22 PMApr 20
to OsmAnd

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024, 18:34 ralph lumen, <hinter...@gmail.com> wrote:
what sense makes it to deactivate maps instead of deleting them? why should I want to activate then outdated maps? how should that even speed up osmand?
Lots of maps equals slower. If they're deactivated they don't slow it down.
I have a bunch of maps downloaded that I don't expect to use all the time or ever. If I go there for a weekend I can activate the map for the weekend only, or if I go somewhere and have forgotten to download a new map I'm still able to use osmand without a data connection. Most stuff doesn't change over a few months. Different people have different needs.

Martin Trautmann

Apr 20, 2024, 3:36:24 PMApr 20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
and still I feel it would be osmand's own task NOT to load maps which
are not required - at least for an initial startup, but also later on
for navigation.

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 21, 2024, 3:18:51 AMApr 21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
It is not correct either to say that OsmAnd gets slower with more maps.
When a map is downloaded or upgraded, it is indexed. That will take a few seconds.
During use/navigation OsmAnd will determine, based on GPS coordinates, which indexed part of a map needs to be loaded.

What slows down OmAnd is maps on top of each other, covering the same area with roads and the like. But even that does not clarify your issues.

Also the index file can be corrupt. Removing the index file and then restarting OsmAnd, let it once index again can also help.
The problem right now with the newer Android versions is that you can't access and remove the index file anymore.
Close OsmAnd, in Settings -> App settings, remove OsmAnd cache (not data).
If that down't work and if you have your maps on an SD-card: remove the SD-card and run a checkdisk in your computer. An SD-card with corruptions in FAT-table, partition or bad clusters can seriously slow down OsmAnd like this.
And if your SD-card is already older: try a new fresh one. It might be some work, but might also prevent other and further issues losing data in the future.