Major difficulties to download maps.

Bas G. Roufs

Aug 14, 2021, 9:18:44 AM8/14/21
to Osmand
Dear Everybody.

Until some moment in the first quarter of 2021, my Samsung A40 worked with Android 10. Dowloading maps with Osmand+ was no problem.

However, ever since the update to Android 11, I am getting more and more difficulties to download them. It takes way too much time.

After the first update to Android 11, I have had 3 or 4 updates more. However, ever since the latest update, I cannot download any map, unless I don't do anything else at my phone. If I DO manage to download one or a few maps, I need way too much time for it.

In July 2021, my phone has been repaired. This did not solve the problem.

More and more often, I cannot donload anything at all. Instead, I get error reports like this:

“(...)
I/O error. Cannot fully read the file.
(....)"

Can you help to find solutions?

Yours.

Bas.

anyso...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2021, 11:49:00 AM8/14/21
to OsmAnd

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 3:18:44 PM UTC+2 ba***ail.com wrote:

> Until some moment in the first quarter of 2021, my Samsung A40 worked with Android 10. Dowloading maps with Osmand+ was no problem.
>
>However, ever since the update to Android 11, I am getting more and more difficulties to download them.

If your directory where the maps and the other OsmAnd data is inside any of these directories

<internal_memory>/Andorid/data
<internal_memory>/Andorid/obb
<exterrnal_memory>/Andorid/data
<external_memory>/Andorid/obb

You can try to change the location to any directory outside the above mentioned ones.

Android 11 considers these directories (and their subdirectories) in a special way.

To make the change do not try to move the data by yourself via a file manager (you would not be able to), but use the procedure I have explain in a previous message, the procedure start after "To change the directory where data are stored follow this procedure. " in the message at

Let hope that after doing this, the download would be better

AnyFile

Bas G. Roufs

Aug 16, 2021, 4:24:58 AM8/16/21
to Osmand
Hello Anyfile.

Thanks so much for your advise. It works!

Op za 14 aug. 2021 17:49 schreef anyso...@gmail.com <anyso...@gmail.com>:

If your directory where the maps and the other OsmAnd data is inside any of these directories

<internal_memory>/Andorid/data
<internal_memory>/Andorid/obb
<exterrnal_memory>/Andorid/data
<external_memory>/Andorid/obb

Yes, Osmand was at such a directory.

You can try to change the location to any directory outside the above mentioned ones.

I did. Via a file manager, I created this path at the SD card......

/Osmandmaps/net.osmand.plus/files

Via the Osmand settings, I have manually edited this path:

/storage/039D-1F64/Osmandmaps/net.osmand.plus/files

Android 11 considers these directories (and their subdirectories) in a special way.

You point here at the data and obb directories...I understand....

To make the change do not try to move the data by yourself via a file manager (you would not be able to), but use the procedure I have explain in a previous message, the procedure start after "To change the directory where data are stored follow this procedure. " in the message at

Yes, I did. The transfer went smoothly.

Let hope that after doing this, the download would be better

Yes - way much better!

Bas.

Any File

Aug 16, 2021, 6:16:58 AM8/16/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 10:24 AM Bas G. Roufs <basr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Anyfile.
>
> Thanks so much for your advise. It works!

I am glad of that

I think it would be better if the standard installation of Android did
not place the files under these special directories

> <internal_memory>/Andorid/data
> <internal_memory>/Andorid/obb
> <exterrnal_memory>/Andorid/data
> <external_memory>/Andorid/obb

An evident and understandable explanation should be added to the
documentation (I can not write such an explanation as I have not
understood the Android change...)

AnyFile

Bas G. Roufs

Aug 16, 2021, 1:26:15 PM8/16/21
to Osmand
Hello Anyfile & others.

> Thanks so much for your advise. It works!

I am glad of that

I think it would be better if the standard installation of Android did
not place the files under these special directories

I agree.

> <internal_memory>/Andorid/data
> <internal_memory>/Andorid/obb
> <exterrnal_memory>/Andorid/data
> <external_memory>/Andorid/obb

An evident and understandable explanation should be added to the documentation

I agree....

(I can not write such an explanation as I have not
understood the Android change...)

Me neither.....I understand now the the consequences and workarounds, but not the rationale behind that change.....

By the way......One problems remains....it is NOT possible to multitask while downloading maps via Osmand.

Yours.

Bas.