Hillshade not working

Androiden Dummy

Jan 27, 2021, 5:43:16 AM1/27/21
to OsmAnd
Hi,
I have been using osmand+ for years.
Recently I had to reset my phone and install osmand+ and the contourlines and hillshade plugin (bought years ago).

I downloaded contourlines and hillshade for germany but i cannot see the hillshade when viewing my map.
The contourlines are there. Hillshade is switched on in the map configuration but does not show on the screen. The map remains "flat".

I am using osmand on a Samsung Galaxy S4 with lineageos 18.1 (android 11).

Any ideas why hillshade doesn't work for me?

Thanks!

Dmitry Prodchenko

Jan 27, 2021, 9:31:16 AM1/27/21
to OsmAnd
Hello! Thank you for the feedback.
You can try to change the opacity of the "Hillside" layer in the "Configure Map – Terrain" menu. Also, check that in "Terrain" you have switched to "Hillshade" now the menu contains a switcher between Slope/Hillshade. If it doesn't help, please contact us at sup...@osmand.net and provide the region name for which you are downloading the map.

Androiden Dummy

Jan 27, 2021, 11:49:28 AM1/27/21
to OsmAnd
Hello and thanks!
Just for fun I also downloaded slope but neither slope nor hillshade was visible even after multiple times checking the buttons and sliders.

But then i discovered the cause of the problem:

I had the data storage folder set to my external sd-card.
After setting that to the internal storage and letting osmand move all files it worked perfect!

Without any other changes hillshade works well on internal storage and doesn't on external.
There seems to be a problem with android 11 and the external sd-card. Osmand had no problem with maps on the ext. sd-card, only with hillshade and slope.

I tested this behaviour on two different Samsung S4 with lineageos 18.1 and two different sd-cards.

I hope this can be fixed in future updates.
Storage on ext. sd-card is a must for osmand users with large collection of maps.

Michael O'Kelly

Jan 28, 2021, 4:56:25 PM1/28/21
to OsmAnd
I had a similar problem with an external SD card recently.  Subsequent to the Android 11 upgrade on my S20, map rendering went from <0.5s to 5+ seconds.

Based on some research, I think the problem is changes to the "Storage Access Framework" in Android 11.  For app-specific data stored on the SD card in /Android/data/, an API request for access permission can take 100ms -- and OsmAnd needs to do that hundreds of times.

I was surprised at how simple the solution turned out to be.  I made a new directory on my SD card, /OsmAnd, and told OsmAnd to use that as its storage directory.  Maps stored outside the /Android directories now have the same rendering performance I'm used to.

Peter B

Jan 29, 2021, 9:37:12 AM1/29/21
to OsmAnd
Refering to the solution of mok.. it would be interesting to know about speed on using SD card with /android/obb

Androiden Dummy

Jan 30, 2021, 9:53:42 AM1/30/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks for sharing your solution.
That sounded too good and simple. So I tried that. But again: No hillshade visible, when osmand files are in individual folder /OsmAnd on sdcard.
Mok... are you successfully using hillshade with your solution?
If not can you try if works?

Thanks!

Michael O'Kelly

Jan 30, 2021, 4:54:48 PM1/30/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, hillshade and steepness map both work for me. Sorry that didn't help!