Connect and unconnect the link between OSMAND and GPSTest

Werner

May 17, 2021, 3:05:33 PM5/17/21
to OsmAnd
Tapping on the GPS-Info in OSMAND calls up a list of several apps, showing detailed information about the current GPS/Sat-status e.g. GPSTest.
Tapping one of these apps and you can connect it as direct link.
Now this app is directly connected to GPS-Info.

If I want to change the related app, how to remove this link?

Thanks

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 7:47:50 AM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
theoretically it is useful, in practical it is not working. Τwo gnss apps can't have simultaneous access to gnss chip. When the No2 is running the No 1 has stopped.

That's why i suggest to exit the No 1 run the No2 and then re-run the No1. Android OS remember and will continue at the same spot of every app we have exit

Werner

May 20, 2021, 1:19:50 PM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
Hi logdrog,

thanks for your answer, but this is a misunderstanding.
I do not want to connect to several alternative gnss-apps.

I have established the  link in Osmand see above (between GPS-Info and one of the proposed GPS-apps) and now want to remove this link.
May be I want to select a different  GPS-app.
But currently I cannnot remove the link and so I cannot select a different app.

I hope, it is now more clear, what my problem is.

Thanks

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 6:00:45 PM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
Hi Werner,

there is no misunderstanding. And of course you want to connect at several alternative gnss-apps, one is osmand No1 and No2 is the gpstest, at the same time. When you are running osmand, inside this app there is one option to run one external app, this is the gpstest. This is one gnss app for information and demand access to smartphone hardware. So, the android OS, make the osmand app background and the gpstest app as foreground. The OS stop to the background app the gnss access and let the foreground app gpstest to have access to the gnss receiver.
i hope this time to help you better with this examples

about the link
i don't have use it for now. I always run apps one by one every time, after exit

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 6:39:48 PM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
about the link
it has the option "remember my choice". If you press this ... it is a big mistake
- you must have save settings, before this action and restore to solve this "mistake". I have test it and works ok
- or you can re-install the osmand app, from the beginning

Tom Crocker

May 20, 2021, 7:01:02 PM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
Hi Lodrog

On Thu, 20 May 2021, 23:00 lodrog...@gmail.com, <lodrog...@gmail.com> wrote:
 The OS stop to the background app the gnss access and let the foreground app gpstest to have access to the gnss receiver.
I don't claim to know anything about the workings of Android but I think this depends. For example, with GPS status & toolbox running in picture in picture mode, both apps seem to have access to the gps data. Or if either app runs a notification to hold the GPS, like osmand does when track recording, they can both have a signal. e.g I can record a tracklog with osmand and Vespucci and take a georeferenced photo all at the same time. Or do I misunderstand?

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 8:40:54 PM5/20/21
to OsmAnd
i have test a lot of city navigation apps into split window into my device. In the beginnings it seems that the working but a into random time from a test of a lot km, both of them freeze.

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

May 21, 2021, 3:26:55 AM5/21/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
El dj. 20 de 05 de 2021 a les 10:19 -0700, en/na Werner va escriure:

> I have established the link in Osmand see above (between GPS-Info and one of the proposed GPS-apps) and now want to remove this link.
> May be I want to select a different GPS-app.
> But currently I cannnot remove the link and so I cannot select a different app.

Hi, maybe this link is created in Android itself?
Could you explore under Android Settings->apps if there is a Default GPS app, like there is default launcher, browser and so on?
Hope this helps
Pere

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 5:51:33 AM5/21/21
to OsmAnd
into my personal life when i am using "something", i can test it 24/7. that's why i can help people with 100% solutions
into post 4, i said that i don't use this application option. But i have this application. After 1 hour, i made some tests and finally found 2 solutions into post 5

i wish other people do the same
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Werner

May 21, 2021, 1:35:02 PM5/21/21
to OsmAnd
Many thanks to all of you,

to Pere:
I have checked my phone for some entries for "default GPS/GNSS" and similiar.
I did not find anything...

to tomcroc and lodrog :
In Windows there is a location API, where many apps in parallel can get current location.
I am not shure, but Android might have something similiar.
On my phone is running a Bluetooth-transfer of GPS-data and Osmand (navigation) in parallel.

to lodrog :
Yes, I have selected the option "remember my choice". (yes mistake).
So the link is installed, but how to remove?

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 2:35:59 PM5/21/21
to OsmAnd
hi werner,

about gnss location API into android, my answer was about internal gnss receiver, into my device with android 8 - 8.1 - 9 tested

about the link
you have the right to ask about the link. as i told you, i don't use this procedure. i run one app at time, after exit. the solution will come, only if the company add this option into a new version. If they want to do something like this

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 3:32:46 PM5/21/21
to OsmAnd
- how to remove the link
osmand app has the ability to save settings into a file. Inside this file is the solution

- open osmand and export all the settings. Not the data folder
- this file       "Export_21-05-21.osf"       must transfer to your desktop PC
- rename the extension from       .osf     to      .zip
- unzip this zip file into one folder
- there will be 12 files with extension of     .json
- edit the file       general_settings.json        with windows application    notepad++
- found the line          "gps_status_app": "",
- delete any name inside like     "gpstest"     and make it empty like this     ""
- save file      general_settings.json
- zip again the 12 files     .json     with the same file name  as it was before
- rename      .zip     to       .osf
- import this new file to osmand

Peter B - pebogufi

May 22, 2021, 12:01:58 PM5/22/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks a lot to lodrog.
It was a very valuable information for me, that .osf is .zip format, I did not know that. This now gives a lot of potential for looking inside, what / how it is working and what can be configured outside of "normal" options.
Kind regards Peter

Werner

May 24, 2021, 10:58:25 AM5/24/21
to OsmAnd
Hi lodrog,
many thanks for this information and possible solution for my problem.

I have found the way to export all settings, but I cannot find the related file you describe ( "Export_21-05-21.osf" ).
May be I have the Android11-problem, not showing files on the external SD-card.
How (special tool, routed phone?) and in what sub-directory did you find this file?
Is it possible for a non-routed Android-11 phone?

I remember having much deeper access to the Osmand-files on the external SD-card running android-10.

Kind regards

lodrog...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 12:59:55 PM5/24/21
to OsmAnd
Hi Werner
the name of the export file Export_21-05-21.osf, it was an example of the date i wrote the post. The osmand app creates file names, at the same date of the device we use.

- where is store folder
to your device, visit - settings, osmand settings, data storage folder. If by default is the option 1, this is the android hidden folder. chose another

yes, my device is running android 10 (now). But osmand knows about android 11. Somehow the user must backup / restore the settings

anyso...@gmail.com

May 26, 2021, 1:36:21 PM5/26/21
to OsmAnd
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 4:58:25 PM UTC+2 Werner wrote:
How (special tool, routed phone?) and in what sub-directory did you find this file?
Is it possible for a non-routed Android-11 phone?

If you are running Android 11, the directory /Android/data (both in internal memory and SD card) are treated

I think it is better if Osmand users are warned about that and the documentation page https://osmand.net/help-online

Note that not even the file manager that came with tool which came pre-installed with your Android, is able to access the contents of these directories (so this is very different from what is written in How do I use my SD card with OsmAnd under Android 4.4+ and 5?)

I think it is a very good idea that the documentation tell you not to install or move the data under /Android/data and that the default install does not put data into these directories

Never had I, as an Android user,  been informed about that from Android/Google or from the manufacturer of my phone, who deliver the update.
As this new behaviour case me big troubles both in Osmand and other apps I tried to ask about that in the Android community in the Google support web site https://support.google.com/android/community .

However instead of getting any useful information as a answer, I got my account blocked, without even a warning or even a notice that I have been blocked.

Very rude of Google and a very bad sign from someone who has the monopoly of both the OS and of the support website.

AnyFile

anyso...@gmail.com

May 26, 2021, 1:50:13 PM5/26/21
to OsmAnd
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 4:58:25 PM UTC+2 Werner wrote:
I have found the way to export all settings, but I cannot find the related file you describe ( "Export_21-05-21.osf" ).
May be I have the Android11-problem, not showing files on the external SD-card.
How (special tool, routed phone?) and in what sub-directory did you find this file?
Is it possible for a non-routed Android-11 phone?

I remember having much deeper access to the Osmand-files on the external SD-card running android-10.

If you are running Android 11 (and I believe that this will apply for future version too) move at first the android data directory outside the /Android/data directories.

Do not try to use the share function to export anything before having sone that. (I run into severe trouble, doing this, because of problematic situation created by Android/Google, and not by Osmand )

To change the directory where data are stored follow this procedure.  Doing this will also move the contents of the Osmand data directory (and subdirectories) to the new directory.

Create the directory where you want to store the data using a file manager

Open Osmand
Go to the main menu
select settings

select the first item: OsmAnd settings - Effective for the entire app
select Data storage folder
scroll down and at the bottom or near the bottom select
  Manually specified
and the press at the bottom "Change"

Specify the full path of where you want
If you want to use the same type of memory, but a different directory, the first part of path will  be the same.
Keep the part that is before /Android/data (exclude this part) and add the last part of the path

and follow the instruction given.

After you have done the moving you should be able to see the files and directories with any file managers and/or apps.

I think it is better if you do not try to but back the data directory under /Android/data

AnyFile

Tom Crocker

May 26, 2021, 2:15:02 PM5/26/21
to OsmAnd
You can also use the "Shared memory" option to have accessible files in an 'osmand' folder in the root (storage/emulated/0)

Screenshot_20210526-191029_OsmAnd+.jpg

anyso...@gmail.com

May 26, 2021, 3:41:24 PM5/26/21
to OsmAnd
On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 8:15:02 PM UTC+2 tomcroc...@gmail.... wrote:
You can also use the "Shared memory" option to have accessible files in an 'osmand' folder in the root (storage/emulated/0)

But you can only have it on the Internal storage memory in this way

Tom Crocker

May 26, 2021, 3:46:21 PM5/26/21
to OsmAnd
Yes

Werner

May 27, 2021, 3:44:43 PM5/27/21
to OsmAnd
Many thanks to all of you about this valuable information.
I will try to generate a new Data storage folder acc. to  anyso's proposal and then I will see....
Then I will try to export the settings acc to lodrog's proposal and the I will see....

I will come back and report about this...

Xavier

May 28, 2021, 11:33:54 AM5/28/21
to OsmAnd
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 07:43:03AM -0700, lodrog...@gmail.com wrote:
>into this screenshot we can see the option for the user to save his
>settings. But the programmers it seems to forget to add the ability to undo
>this action
>
>https://i.imgur.com/BQ0j1fp.jpg

How did you access this menu?

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

May 28, 2021, 2:38:17 PM5/28/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
El dt. 25 de 05 de 2021 a les 12:46 -0400, en/na 'Xavier' via OsmAnd va escriure:
Tapping in the sat icon on top right, strangely, the checkbox to remember
choice doesn't appear in landscape mode which I use leading me to think
into other possibilities and wrongly advising on them :)

Maybe is time to open a issue because that list is (deprecated?) users
helping users list

https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues

Pere