new german female voice much worse than before

Ed f

Nov 3, 2022, 9:55:43 AM11/3/22
to OsmAnd
since a few weeks, not more than a month, without me changing anything actively, the standard german announcing voice in osmand has changed, and much to the worse. I was always happy with the previous (which was in every respect so much better than i.e. that from google maps!), but now there is that sad sounding new voice which shocked me when I suddenly heard it for the first time and ever again ever since. how can I get the old one back?

Dmytro Prodchenko

Nov 4, 2022, 10:23:37 AM11/4/22
to OsmAnd
Hi!
All voices are generated by using the installed Text-to-Speech (TTS) engine. You need to check in the System settings, what software it uses,s and select the needed voice.

Ed f

Nov 4, 2022, 12:54:32 PM11/4/22
to OsmAnd
I was surprised that it changed. if I ever once in a while used googlemaps I disliked its voice. which one uses android for gmaps and which for osmand and why did it change for osmand? as I do not know the lady behind her nice voice - how can I get her back?

Dmytro Prodchenko

Nov 7, 2022, 5:44:09 AM11/7/22
to OsmAnd

Ed f

Nov 7, 2022, 9:09:22 AM11/7/22
to OsmAnd
yes I have found that (even though the path was MUCH different). but that is not the voice I heard before. as I can only check it when actually navigating it may take a while, as I don't drive every day. I still would like to know why the speech in osmand changed. I never changed anything as I was very happy with the osmand speech setting from the very beginning years ago - which is now gone.

Xavier

Nov 7, 2022, 9:13:38 AM11/7/22
to OsmAnd
One of the prior replies indicated that Osmand uses the Android text to
speech subsystem.

Therefore, the answer to your question of why the voice changed is:

Because Google changed the voice they use as part of the Android OS
text to speech system.

I.e., Osmand does not supply the voice you hear, that voice is built
into Android. If Google changes the voice they use in Android, then
the voice you hear changes.

Ed f

Nov 7, 2022, 9:17:22 AM11/7/22
to OsmAnd
if the voice is coming from google then why the voive of google maps has always been so much worse than osmands?

Xavier

Nov 7, 2022, 9:47:09 AM11/7/22
to OsmAnd
I have no idea on that question.

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Nov 8, 2022, 1:30:22 AM11/8/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
No idea of what happened, just noting a couple of things that still had not been mentioned:
Osmand by default uses the tts engine available in the device, mostly google, but users can install own tts engines.
Also, osmand offers to download pre-recorded, not tts, voice guidances.

ra

Nov 8, 2022, 5:28:48 AM11/8/22
to OsmAnd
... is there a way to hear them before action, at home? I always thought it were osmands voices, as it downloads them. if so (and not google!): does anyone know if and WHY osmand then changed the perfect german female voice?

Tom Crocker

Nov 8, 2022, 6:12:12 AM11/8/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 at 10:28, ra <whatthehel...@gmail.com> wrote:
... is there a way to hear them before action, at home? I always thought it were osmands voices, as it downloads them. if so (and not google!): does anyone know if and WHY osmand then changed the perfect german female voice?

You can hear at home using simulate navigation (in options within navigation popup). You can check the kind of voice prompts you are using in configure profile> Navigation settings > Voice prompts > Language > TTS/recorded (and language).

Helmut Jarausch

Nov 8, 2022, 8:39:53 AM11/8/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Go to
extension -> OSMAnd-development -> check voice announcements
(the terms might differ since I just translated the German terms)

ra

Nov 8, 2022, 9:17:48 AM11/8/22
to OsmAnd
as soon as I followed the last hint (Go to > extension -> OSMAnd-development -> check voice announcements) and calculated a short route I luckily heard the well-known voice again, the good one! hope it stays with me now. it's so much better than googles!
if in a profile I go to "Navigation settings > Voice prompts > Language > TTS/recorded (and language)" TTS was set, system speech/voice. I changed this now to "recorded" german (1,1mb, 10.8.2018) and hope, that is not only good for a test run, but also for navigation, which I will test these days. very shure, that I did not change that ever before, as I saw this interface now for the first time. strange. but in good hopes ;-) thanks for now!

ra

Nov 8, 2022, 9:25:08 AM11/8/22
to OsmAnd
no, that was NOT right. unknown bad voice, returned to TTS, now wondering where in hell that strange second voice came from which I heard on navigation these days, as is was not one of these 3.