Osmand illogicality

pc

Sep 13, 2022, 3:26:25 AM9/13/22
to OsmAnd
hello,

It is possible, for example, to search for restaurants in osmand and have them appear "superimposed" on the map in order to better visualize them, including on a smaller scale.
However for other categories such as works of art, this does not work (?). Does anyone have a beginning of an explanation? or is it just a bug?

EDIT: on osmand, search for "art" then choose "Work of art|tourism", and "DISPLAY WORK OF ART ON THE MAP": the symbols are not highlighted

Alessandro Sarretta

Sep 13, 2022, 3:34:03 AM9/13/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

this workflow works perfectly for me, so it doesn't seem a general bug of OsmAnd (I have OsmAnd+ 4.2.7 installed).

Ale

pc

Sep 13, 2022, 3:51:03 AM9/13/22
to OsmAnd
I have osmand 4.2.7 (not +) and it doesn't :(

Xavier

Sep 13, 2022, 7:46:21 AM9/13/22
to OsmAnd
On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 12:51:03AM -0700, pc wrote:
>> Le mardi 13 septembre 2022 à 09:34:03 UTC+2, alessandr...@gmail.com a
>> écrit :
>
>>> On 13/09/22 09:26, pc wrote:
>>>
>>> It is possible, for example, to search for restaurants in osmand
>>> and have them appear "superimposed" on the map in order to better
>>> visualize them, including on a smaller scale. However for other
>>> categories such as works of art, this does not work (?). Does
>>> anyone have a beginning of an explanation? or is it just a bug?
>>>
>>> EDIT: on osmand, search for "art" then choose "Work of art|tourism",
>>> and "DISPLAY WORK OF ART ON THE MAP": the symbols are not
>>> highlighted
>>
>> this workflow works perfectly for me, so it doesn't seem a general
>> bug of OsmAnd (I have OsmAnd+ 4.2.7 installed).
>>
>> Ale
>
>I have osmand 4.2.7 (not +) and it doesn't :(

One rather important question: Are the "works of art" for which you are
searching actually mapped in OpenStreetMap? You've given no example so
I have to ask the obvious quesion of "are they mapped?".

pc

Sep 13, 2022, 11:46:17 AM9/13/22
to OsmAnd

this artwork is of course visible (at a great scale), but when you search for "works of art" ("oeuvres d'art" in french), osmand seems to show all POI named "oeuvres" and not the "works of art" that are sought. So you can see this POI : "Restaurant Centre régional des oeuvres universitaires et scolaires" and "Musée de l'oeuvre notre dame" near strasbourg with this request. So I think it's a bug perhaps only in the french version

pc

Sep 15, 2022, 5:48:35 AM9/15/22
to OsmAnd
I answer to myself :
The only way to highlight in my example "artworks" is to create a "customed research" (recherche personnalisée) at the end of category tab of the search command then isolate artwork as a selection then save it, so it shows up when you do a search again and then choosing this option brings up the artwork correctly.
This does not solve the problem but circumvents it.

Tom Crocker

Sep 15, 2022, 10:31:27 AM9/15/22
to OsmAnd
Glad you've found a workaround. Seems worth opening an issue on GitHub https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues