Importing sqlite map files

Bart Eisenberg

Oct 29, 2022, 12:31:47 PM10/29/22
to OsmAnd

<Also asked on Github, but no reply>

What's the best way to import sqlite map files for use in OsmAnd? I used to use OsmAnd/tiles, but it's no longer available.

And (while I'm asking), what about importing them in OsmAnd iOS?

Thanks!

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 29, 2022, 2:03:28 PM10/29/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bart,

Like you already mentioned yourself: It used to work like "simply" copying your whatever_map.sqlitedb directly in the "tiles" folder inside the Osmand folder.
If there is no folder "tiles", can't you create it and then use it? Or download some tiles to make Osmand automatically create it?
Another option is to try to "Open" it and select OsmAnd to open the file, but that is on Android. No idea about iOS.

Bart Eisenberg

Oct 30, 2022, 1:46:33 AM10/30/22
to OsmAnd
Hi Harry and thanks.  These are good questions, and I plan to experiment to find some answers.  My basic question was whether there was a proscribed technique I should consider first.

I gather that the problem has to do with increased security for Android folder access imposed by Google.

Bart

Bart Eisenberg

Nov 2, 2022, 11:51:12 AM11/2/22
to OsmAnd
Per Victor on Github:
  • Android. If you just download click on *.sqlite it will suggest to import using OsmAnd
  • iOS. Same here if you sync it with Apple Cloud and open with OsmAnd.

Harry van der Wolf

Nov 2, 2022, 2:04:30 PM11/2/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe my terminology was wrong, but that was what I meant.
"Another option is to try to "Open" it and select OsmAnd to open the file, but that is on Android. No idea about iOS."

Nice you solved the issue.

Bart Eisenberg

Nov 2, 2022, 11:05:46 PM11/2/22
to OsmAnd
Agreed--I thought your solution and his suggested the same approach.