Crash on slip road navigation

Allan Palmu

Aug 15, 2022, 9:38:28 AM8/15/22
to OsmAnd
The app crashes almost every time when I'm using navigation and a slip road I'm supposed to take comes up. I'm using a Oneplus 10 Pro and Finnish TTS navigation instructions. I've tried all up-to-date builds of OsmAnd and both Android 12 and 13.

Now that I've loaded the exception log up on my PC instead of just sending it straight through email on the road, I see the crash is TTS-related and occurs when it tries and fails to say the word "metrin", which is the conjugation of the Finnish word for metre used for "X metrin päästä" (in X metres). I think the TTS voice used to say "undefined" sometimes instead of "metrin", and this seems like a try-catch has been removed, making the problem present more severely.

I assume I can avoid this crash by switching the TTS language, but I would like to be able to use Finnish at least for street and junction names. Generally speaking, an option to use local language TTS to pronounce map object names would be excellent, but I assume that has been considered and judged not worth implementing.
exception[1].log

Tom Crocker

Aug 15, 2022, 11:03:45 AM8/15/22
to OsmAnd
Hi Allan

Can I suggest adding this as an issue on GitHub https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues as it's more likely to be looked into there by the developers. This group is primarily users.

Hope that helps

Tom

Kevin Kenny

Aug 15, 2022, 11:21:50 AM8/15/22
to osm...@googlegroups.com
There was a recent discussion in one of the OSM Slack channels, where user `1ec5` posted:

My quixotic quest to get the software industry to recognize plurals in Vietnamese has led to a bunch of projects maintaining ostensibly the same plural rules in separate tables, most recently Launchpad and gettext. Some of these projects are playing chicken w/ the others.

There is some risk that application projects should be aware of: once CLDR corrects the issue and the fix is deployed, new versions of major operating systems such as macOS, iOS, and Android will be incompatible w/ translation management systems that do not use CLDR, such as Launchpad and poeditor. This may lead applications to crash on these platforms, as was seen in Arabic and Czech several years ago, or at least trigger linter warnings that are impossible to fix. (Transifex, Translatewiki.net, Translate Toolkit, and Weblate use CLDR, so they would be in good shape.)

(I'm not fully conversant with the issues, but including this information might be able to help the OSMand developers.)

Allan Palmu

Aug 15, 2022, 12:56:21 PM8/15/22
to OsmAnd
Right, GitHub is a better place for this. Thanks for the tip!