Export Import New Feature

Androiden Dummy

Feb 11, 2021, 2:12:31 PM2/11/21
to OsmAnd
I was happy to see that in the latest version there is a feature to export settings, profiles, etc. into a file.
I tried to use that to copy all my settings to another phone but without success.

On the source phone I go to settings export and osmand creates a file named "share.data".
After copying that file to the other phone and after settings import osmand complains "this is not a valid obf file".

What am I doing wrong here?

Has anybody successfully exported and imported settings and profles?

Navigator9

Feb 11, 2021, 4:55:37 PM2/11/21
to OsmAnd
I was able to export settings (less maps) and, on another tablet of identical make, model, and software configuration level (Android 10 and latest Osmand), import that settings file.  The settings appeared correctly in Osmand in the "import" tablet.

I then attempted to import that same settings file into a tablet of different make and model, that was also Android 10 and latest Osmand.  On the "import" tablet, in the "import settings" dialogue window, when I selected the aforementioned settings file, the import settings dialogue window sort of flashed briefly and there was an error message to the effect that the settings file that I pointed to dialogue box to could not be imported.  Also, the settings that I wanted to import did not appear in Osmand in that "import" tablet.

Hope that helps.

Navigator9

Jul 29, 2021, 11:24:37 AM7/29/21
to OsmAnd
My post dated 11 Feb 2021 stated that I succeeded in exporting to another tablet of identical make, model, etc.  That has stopped working.

After updating my OS to Android 11 One UI Core 3.1, I cannot export any OsmAnd files to anywhere.  After generating the export file, OsmAnd provides a lengthy pick-list of candidate destinations from which to choose.  It does not, however, offer to save the export file to the simplest possible location which would be to save it to e.g. the uSD card that is in the tablet drawer, or to a user-accessible folder on the tablet, or to a USB thumb drive connected via an On-The-Go cable.  After choosing e.g. my Google Drive and pressing the save button, the screen flashes very briefly and immediately reverts to the initial export menu.  I cannot find the newly-generated export file anywhere.  Ditto for exporting to OsmAnd itself.

Fortunately, as of 2021-July-29, I can still back up / export my track files and my favourites by inserting the uSD card into my desktop PC and manually copying the discrete track and favourites files from there onto hard drive of the PC via the classical Windows method (i.e., Ctrl+A then Ctrl+V).  That is OK but does not work for OsmAnd settings because there appears not to be a discrete OsmAnd settings file that is accessible to users - or, at least, not one that I can find.

IMO it would be better if OsmAnd stored, in a discrete settings file that is accessible to users, the settings, as it does for tracks and favourites.  Then folks could back up or export their settings manually, via moving the uSD card to a PC.

Peter B - pebogufi

Jul 29, 2021, 3:10:51 PM7/29/21
to OsmAnd

Problems with Android 11 are well known. Search for Android 11.