Planning another mapathon in August!

Madeline Steele

Jul 21, 2017, 7:49:29 PM7/21/17
to OSM PDX
Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who was able to attend the Map Rack Attack Pedalpalooza mapathon last month! We had a good turnout (around 10?) and a nice mix of new mappers and old hands. Together, we added 145 bike racks that were previously unmapped! I put together a very quick map to show off everyone's work (see attached). As an FYI, I did go back over the route the next weekend (it's close to home) and look for duplicates or other issues, and found only a couple things to fix. Nice work everyone!

It was a good time, and since we now have 93 mappers in the meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Portland/) and nothing on the horizon, I'd like to schedule another mapathon. The OSM US board is leading a Summer Mapathon (http://www.openstreetmap.us/2017/06/bus-mapathon/) , and have asked us to participate.  They're focusing on transit and cycling information, so we could do a couple of things that might be related:

1) Have a sit-down computer mapathon where we add any missing bus shelters using TriMet GIS layers for reference.
2) Go out on bikes or on foot and map bike racks in another under-mapped area using apps. SE Foster Road has practically nothing (http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qxa), and I'm pretty sure that can't be right.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I suppose we could even do both. For an outdoor event, I'm thinking of the weekend of either August 12th or 26th. The computer mapathon could be on a weeknight - maybe August 23rd or 30th?

Looking forward to getting your input!

Best,
Madeline

Pedalpalooza_after_map.pdf

roadgeek99

Jul 24, 2017, 1:47:20 AM7/24/17
to OSM PDX
Here are my thoughts:

1) That would be a great idea. Would there be additional computers available for people who don't have laptops? Also, several bus stops in the Portland metro were recently added with no further detail, with just the highway=bus_stop tag. Maybe we can add detail to those stops as well.
2) Yeah, let's build upon the energy that we had from the last meetup!!!

As the school year is almost approaching, I'd prefer the dates to be on weekends if possible.

I look forward to those future meetups!

--Irwin

Cone, Paul

Jul 24, 2017, 12:09:52 PM7/24/17
to osm...@googlegroups.com

FYI, bike racks installed by PBOT are here…

http://gis-pdx.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/bicycle-parking

Paul

Paul Cone

Corporate GIS

Bureau of Technology Services

City of Portland, Oregon

paul...@portlandoregon.gov

(503) 823-4071

www.portlandmaps.com

Madeline Steele

Aug 5, 2017, 8:47:00 PM8/5/17
to OSM PDX
Thanks to everyone who provided input on this! I went ahead and scheduled it For Saturday, August 26th at 2pm. Hope to see you there!

RSVPs appreciated!

-Madeline