BRouter for OruxMaps?

Ausreis(s)ender

Jan 11, 2013, 2:32:23 PM1/11/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
Hey Arndt,

your app is really awesome although the interface and the installation is a little "beta" :-).

Do you have any plans to port the app for other apps? E.g. OruxMaps? Within OruxMaps (the best outdoor navigation program) you can export Waypoints to gpx. I tried to export a "from" and a "to" waypoint and moved the files, but only the "from" waypoint is recognized :(. Support for OruxMaps folders would be awesome :).

abre...@googlemail.com

Jan 11, 2013, 5:47:57 PM1/11/13

On Friday, January 11, 2013 8:32:23 PM UTC+1, Ausreis(s)ender wrote:

Do you have any plans to port the app for other apps? E.g. OruxMaps? Within OruxMaps (the best outdoor navigation program) you can export Waypoints to gpx. I tried to export a "from" and a "to" waypoint and moved the files, but only the "from" waypoint is recognized :(. Support for OruxMaps folders would be awesome :).

No real plan yet. I'm thinking of a tighter integration with OsmAnd to become able to do dynamic recalculations in case you are off the track. For my personal use that would be a big plus. The other direction I'm thinking is a better support for following a route non-visual. Important for people with visual disabilities, not able to read a display n bright sunlight, but also for use without a bike mount as well as for motor-bikers navigating by headset. For that I'm evaluating any options, and I will definitly have a look into OruxMaps (which I didn't know up to now).

The file-interface to OsmAnd is more a workaround, this is not the roadmap. I do not really want to extend that to more platforms and run into a test-nightmare. But a generic solution that works independent of a specific map tool is of course something I'm looking for.

regards, Arndt

Ausreis(s)ender

Jan 13, 2013, 6:33:09 PM1/13/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
Hey Arndt,

that sounds even more reasonable :). I love to read that you plan to improve the wonderful app :D. Thx a lot for it! As I can see, it has a nice impact in many internet forums :).

abre...@googlemail.com

Apr 7, 2013, 4:24:27 PM4/7/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, January 11, 2013 8:32:23 PM UTC+1, Ausreis(s)ender wrote:

Do you have any plans to port the app for other apps? E.g. OruxMaps? Within OruxMaps (the best outdoor navigation program) you can export Waypoints to gpx.

Hi,

WIth Version 0.7, I added OruxMaps to the file interface now. Very much the same way I did for Locus, so I directly read the sqllite-database file that includes the wayoints, so no need to export them. Here's what I do:

- read the waypoints from ${basedir}/oruxmaps/tracklogs/oruxmapstracks.db

- write the result to  ${basedir}/oruxmaps/tracklogs/brouter0.gpx (, brouter1.gpx, ...)

I'm not really happy with that solution, because in OruxMaps there seems to be no way to change an existing waypoint, so you always have to delete the old waypoints to prevent creating duplicates. But anyway, it works...

I'm open for suggestions on how to make it more usable (e.g. allowing duplicate waypoints and taking the one with the mist up-to-date timestamp?)

I did not yet update any documentation, will do that soon.

Regards, Arndt

Jose Vazquez

Jun 26, 2013, 2:52:02 AM6/26/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com

Hello Arndt,

Awesome application.

I am OruxMaps developer.

A user has indicated that he was using Brouter, and I found interesting integrate it with oruxmaps.

In the current beta, you can use Brouter for route searching between two points, as an alternative to online services -> 'route button' ->' search route ', then select two points and brouter (offline).
-->www.oruxmaps.com/cs

But it requires Brouter installed and the server active, which does not happen often (tested with android 4.1.2 & 4.2.2). Are you using a sticky service (it returns START_STICKY when onStartCommand() is called? This would prevent android to kill the server.

Another approach (I think the right one) would be to use Intents. If you need help, ...

thanks,

orux

abre...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2013, 5:29:14 AM6/27/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

thanks for that beta! That can really push the idea of close integration.

Yes I need help. Here's how I'm dealing with Android Service Interface:

  http://h2096617.stratoserver.net/brouter_bin/BRouterService.java

I already asked at Locus-Forum:

  http://forum.locusmap.eu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2987&start=20#p21486

and at OsmAnd:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/osmand/paCDL5_xHkk

I agree that it should be an Intent-interface ( "Bound-Service" ), however, I'm not a "real" Android develeoper so for me these things are difficult to understand.

regards, Arndt

Jop

Jul 26, 2013, 9:18:25 AM7/26/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arndt,

I think you have made a nice app. Only I'm not able to install the app correct and let it work with Oruxmaps. I think that the problem is the map where I install or connect the prgram.

As base dir I use now: /mnt/sdcard/oruxmaps

I got this error when I started the program brouter:
(i) An error occured
No coordinate source from a maptool found.
Please make sure at least one OsmAnd/Locus/Oruxmaps is installed,
 uses base directory /mnt/sdcard/oruxmaps and has Waypoints(POIs) named 'from' and 'to' (see www.dr-brenschede.de/router for setup instructions)

I tried also as base dir /mnt/sdcard but that was also not succesful

Hopefully you can inform me what i do wrong.

With kind regards,

Jop Planje

DISCLAIMER
De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de geadresseerde is verboden. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet toegestaan. Moorland Investments BV/Lobevis Vastgoed BV staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mail, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst daarvan.

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or the entity to whom it is addressed and the others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Moorland Investments BV/Lobevis Vastgoed BV is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

abre...@googlemail.com

Jul 26, 2013, 10:50:19 AM7/26/13
Am Freitag, 26. Juli 2013 15:18:25 UTC+2 schrieb Jop:
I think you have made a nice app. Only I'm not able to install the app correct and let it work with Oruxmaps. I think that the problem is the map where I install or connect the prgram.

As base dir I use now: /mnt/sdcard/oruxmaps

Hi Jop,

BRouter tries to read a file like /mnt/sdcard/oruxmaps/tracklogs/oruxmapstracks.db for the inout coordinates.

For that, you need "/mnt/sdcard" as base-directory (without thte "oruxmaps!").

Please also check that the oruxmapstracks.db file exists, could be that it is first created when you edit the first waypoint in oruxmaps?

Tobias Heilig

Aug 5, 2013, 4:38:25 AM8/5/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
Auf meinem Motorola Defy+ (Android 2.3.6) mit OruxMaps v.5.5.2 funktioniert BRouter 0.9.3 nicht.
Ich starte BRouter und wähle das "trekking"-Profil.
Dann erscheint die Meldung:
"Success
-----
no from/to found (coordinate-source: /mnt/sdcard/oruxmaps)
-----
[Exit]   [Server-Mode]"
Diese Meldung bestätige ich mit [Server-Mode].
Danach setzte ich die service-modes foot_short, foot_fast, bicycle_shot und bicycle_fast und bestätige mit [Ok].
Nach dem Tippen auf [Ok] (bei der service-mode-Auswahl) erscheint wieder mein Android-Home-Screen. Ist jetzt BRouter abgestürzt?
Wenn ich jetzt in OruxMaps das Routing über BRouter versuche, erhalte ich die Fehlermeldung:
"BRouter http://brence.de/brouter not found or not started. Must be installed and started as a server." (oder so ähnlich)

abre...@googlemail.com

Aug 5, 2013, 11:55:37 AM8/5/13

On Monday, August 5, 2013 10:38:25 AM UTC+2, Tobias Heilig wrote:
Auf meinem Motorola Defy+ (Android 2.3.6) mit OruxMaps v.5.5.2 funktioniert BRouter 0.9.3 nicht.

Hi Tobias,

You are talking about the new feature of direct communication between OruxMaps and BRouter. OruxMaps v.5.5.2 seems to call the "old" (internal HTTP-) service interface which is available only in BRouter 0.9.2. See here for details: http://brensche.de/brouter/revisions.html

BRouter 0.9.3 implements a new service interface which is not yet supported in OruxMaps

However, the good old way of using it by setting waypoints and using the file interface works in any case.

regards, Arndt

abre...@googlemail.com

Aug 25, 2013, 11:35:34 AM8/25/13

On Monday, August 5, 2013 5:55:37 PM UTC+2, abre...@googlemail.com wrote:

BRouter 0.9.3 implements a new service interface which is not yet supported in OruxMaps

I just tested OruxMaps v5.5.3  (version currently in Google-Play) with BRouter 0.9.3 and the direct communication via the (new) service interface works fine.

Few more word on how the configuration in that setup works:

OruxMaps calls the BRouter-Service with on of the 6 possible "standard-routing-modes" (car/bike/foot * shortest/fastest)

BRouter uses a routing profile (trekking, fastbike, ...) and optionally a list of nogo-areas.

I do not deliver a default-mapping between the standard-routing-modes and the brouter-profile, so you have to configure that by running brouter via the "old-style-interface", pressing "Server-Mode" when it's done and pressing o.k. again to register the last-used configuration (profile + nogo-list) for a selectable list of standard-routing modes.

Sounds complicated, but once you have done that, this configuration stays valid for all subsequent calls to BRouter via the service-interface, so normally you don't have to start the BRouter app again, except if you want to change configuration or if you want to calculate a long-distance route that does not finish within the 60 seconds timeout of the service-interface.

Chris

Sep 7, 2013, 10:00:37 AM9/7/13
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
For the reason that OruxMaps got built-in support for brouter I did a download of the most recent version (at time of writing 5.5.3) and fetched maps from http://vectormaps4locus.eu/Europe-Germany and of course here http://www.openandromaps.org/downloads/deutschland

Amazing!

I did like OruxMaps a lot, but I hated the Interface. With the new version I am fully satisfied. It beats Locus as well as OSMand in clearity and structure.

One thing I'd like to have changed in favour of greater usability:
Can we name the to to_AB1234 and the from_AB1234 and the via as well to have more speaking names?

It would nice to have a picker (list of existing where to choose from)

abre...@googlemail.com

Oct 7, 2013, 6:19:35 AM10/7/13

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:00:37 PM UTC+2, Chris wrote:

One thing I'd like to have changed in favour of greater usability:
Can we name the to to_AB1234 and the from_AB1234 and the via as well to have more speaking names?

It would nice to have a picker (list of existing where to choose from)

Hi Chris,

no problem to accept names with literal extensions, when keeping the uniqueness-requirement for the to/via/from waypoints - I can change that. However, the picker-approach implies dropping the uniqueness-requirement and in that case there's no need for naming convention at all, I could just offer a picker to pick from all existing waypoints. Maybe I can do that as a fallback if to/from do not exist.

Don't know what's the best approach for usability. But probably this file/waypoint interface will become less important anyhow when the service-interface will become the standard-way of calling the router.