create "street names" for voice hints from way type?

Zossebart

Sep 20, 2016, 4:32:58 PM9/20/16
to OSM Android bikerouting
Hi,

would it be technically possible to create artificial "street names" for voice hints from the way tags? This would display at least some info in the maps application (e.g. Locus) when navigating the track instead of "unknown road".
Something like "agricultural track", "major road" or "service road" could be displayed instead? I think this could help the user to spot the right way to take at junctions of different way types.

Or is it too difficult to implement? Or maybe it would be too confusing for the user?

regards, Zossebart

Poutnik

Sep 20, 2016, 7:05:33 PM9/20/16
to osm-android...@googlegroups.com
It could be good,
as I understand going further would be difficult wrt BRouter design
philosophy.

--
Poutnik ( The Wanderer )

My Brouter profiles
https://github.com/poutnikl/Brouter-profiles/wiki

Andrew Heard

Sep 21, 2016, 6:35:41 PM9/21/16
to OSM Android bikerouting
+1

Arndt Brenschede

Oct 3, 2016, 1:27:54 PM10/3/16
to OSM Android bikerouting

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 10:32:58 PM UTC+2, Zossebart wrote:

would it be technically possible to create artificial "street names" for voice hints from the way tags?

Arndt Brenschede

Oct 3, 2016, 1:30:19 PM10/3/16
to OSM Android bikerouting
Message has been deleted

Zossebart

Oct 20, 2016, 10:01:24 AM10/20/16
to OSM Android bikerouting
Ahh, right, we already discussed about this some time (1,5 years ;-) ) ago.

Although I was ok with simple minimalistic instructions at that time, now that we have them (great!), I wouldn't mind to have some extra info also ;-)

Both Locus and OSMAnd have a tag for the streetname (to turn into) in their app-specific gpx extensions. So you could write them to

<extensions><locus:rteStreet> for turninstructionmode 2 (locus-style)

<extensions><street-name> for turninstructionmode 3 (osmand-style)

Additionally, you could consider adding a more detailed description like "turn right into gravel road" into the <desc> tag of the wpt. At least OSMAnd and TrackNavigator seem to use this tag...

Regards,
zossebart