Setting up a 50/50 Beamplistter plate

dp

Oct 27, 2008, 5:21:07 PM10/27/08
to OSLO-Talk

I am trying to set up a 50/50% glass beamsplitter plate to reflect
collimated light at 45deg using Oslo premium. I have set up a glass
plate at 45deg as a standard sequential surface to ensure that the
refraction at the first surface is correct. Howevever when I set the
beamsplitter as a non sequnatial surface group, I have difficulties
getting rays to both reflect and refract from the first surface of the
plate. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sincerely

Don

Brian

Oct 30, 2008, 11:39:10 AM10/30/08
to OSLO-Talk
On Oct 27, 9:21 pm, dp <dfperra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
... I have difficulties
> getting rays to both reflect and refract from the first surface of the
> plate.

In non-sequential mode you have to decide whether a ray is reflected
or refracted according to rules you assign to the surface, or (total
internal reflection being the most obvious example) according to the
ray properties. OSLO does not allow a ray to "split" as your comment
suggests you would like it to do.

If you want to see a good example of non-sequential mode in action,
look at public/len/demo/premium/nonseq/aryns5x.len Anything more
clever than that and I am afraid you are in TracePro territory.

Brian