RE: {OSLO-Talk} Definition of Buchdahl MU1 - MU12 coefficients

Steve Eckhardt

Sep 4, 2012, 5:46:33 PM9/4/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

                I think the only two people who could really answer that question are Matthew P. (Chuck) Rimmer and Hans Buchdahl.  Hans passed away in 2010, and I’m not sure if Chuck Rimmer is available.  Seriously, though, the information you want appears to be contained in the first 43 pages of Buchdahl’s book “Optical Aberration Coefficients”.  Rimmer’s notation is essentially Seidel’s, if I remember correctly.  Again, my memory is vague, but I think Chuck’s master’s thesis (U of Rochester, Institute of Optics) covered this subject.  My Google-fu couldn’t come up with any more details quickly.

                There’s a little information at http://www.sinopt.com/ if you click on Learning, then Design Notes, then Evaluation.

Best regards,

Steve Eckhardt

dr.e...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2012, 1:42:28 PM9/5/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve,

The discussion at the Sinclair website was actually quite helpful.  It describes how the OSLO Buchdahl coefficients are related to the transverse aberrations.  Given this information I no longer need to find the correlation between the Buchdahl and Rimmer notations!

I actually have Buchdahl's book.  However, although I feel my math background is reasonably strong, Buchdahl's book is at a level that I find extremely difficult to understand.  Things that are obvious to him are not obvious to me.  I'm glad I never had him as a professor that I would have to go to and ask for help (I had enough of certain professors that "humbled" me - I think for their enjoyment).

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Steve Eckhardt

Sep 5, 2012, 5:21:40 PM9/5/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com

You’re welcome.  From what I’ve heard, Buchdahl’s math is not very difficult – it’s his notation.  That’s why Chuck Rimmer got a Masters decoding it.  Someday I’ll get bored enough to order the thesis from University Microfilms.

Best regards,

Steve Eckhardt

dr.e...@gmail.com