Can the OSLO-EDU version do aspheric optimization?

Steve King

May 12, 2012, 12:14:08 AM5/12/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to optimize an aspheric lens in OSLO-EDU?

If yes, how do you make the aspheric coefficients variable so they will optimize?

Steve

Dr. Eck

May 14, 2012, 1:39:24 PM5/14/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is possible.  Here is the procedure:

1. Make the surface an asphere by opening the Surface Data Spreadsheet and clicking the "Special" button for the surface, then selecting "Polynomial Asphere" then "Standard Asphere"  (For telescope mirrors, "Conic" would be an alternative.)
2. In the Standard Asphere Data, make one of the coefficients nonzero (say, 1e-20), and click the green check mark.
3. Make a coefficient variable by clicking the Variables button in the Surface Data Spreadsheet, adding a new line to the Variables spreadsheet (right-click a button on the left and click Insert After); set the surface number to the correct value; enter cc for the conic constant, ad for the 4th order coefficient and so on.  The codes are listed in the Help system under Optimization Variables.
4. Hint: the 4th order coefficient and the conic constant are almost redundant; don't vary both.  I use AD if the surface is nearly flat and CC if it is curved.

Stephen King

May 14, 2012, 3:30:30 PM5/14/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Steve,

There was not any documentation I could find on this topic.

The need to set the coefficient(s) to a non-zero value to make them active is certainly not intuitive.  I would have expected a checkbox or something like that.

By the way, I notice this group is hardly active at all.  I was actually surprised when I got the first response since there hadn't been any activity since Dec 2010!  Because OSLO-EDU is clearly the best free optics design software around I'm surprised there aren't more people using this group as a resource.  The available documentation (OSLO Optics Reference and OSLO Reference Guide) is helpful but still quite limited, so, questions are certain to arise.

Anyway,  thanks again for your help.  You obviously have quite a bit of optics design experience and your answers are easy to understand.

Best regards,

Steve King
  • Retired IR systems engineer (Raytek / Fluke)
  • Some optics design experience (Kidger / Zemax)

Brian Blandford

May 16, 2012, 9:38:12 AM5/16/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Steve
The simple way is to open the surface data spreadsheet, click on the grey button under "Special", Choose "Polynomial asphere>Standard asphere", and enter 1e-10 as the value of AD. The fast way is to close the spreadsheet, and enter the command "AD  [surf no] 0" Either way, an "A" will appear in the Special column, and you can include AD AE AF AG as variables. But if you want only CC as a variable, you don't need to do this.
Brian
Ancient and Modern Optics

May 18, 2012, 11:52:11 PM5/18/12
to oslo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian,

It's interesting that after using the "simple" or the "fast" approach it is still necessary to go to the Variables Data Editor and add another line for each variable.  For my system I wanted to add the 4th and 6th power aspheric terms (AD and AE) to surface 6, so:
  • I clicked on the Variables button to open the Variables Data Editor
  • I added another line to the  Variables Data Editor and edited the line so that Surf = 6 and Type = AD
  • I added another line to the Variables Data Editor and edited the line so that  Surf = 6 and Type = AE
Once these lines were added to the Variables Data Editor then clicking on Ite in the Text Window optimized the lens including the 4th and 6th power terms for surface 6 as desired.

Thanks again for the help.

Best regards,

Steve King