Virtual conference on public communication of basic research July 27-28

David Wojick

Jul 23, 2021, 2:21:28 PM7/23/21
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Abstract: "On July 27-28, 2021, SciPEP will convene a virtual conference exploring the unique characteristics of the relationship between the public and basic research, drawing from the experience and expertise of our colleagues in the science and science communication communities. Communicating the Future: Engaging the Public in Basic Science will explore why the public and basic science should be connected and what current communication and engagement efforts are taking place, including the challenges and opportunities in this work. Ultimately, we intend to identify how scientists and professionals can work to engage the public with basic research as effectively as possible."

Sponsor is US DOE's Office of Science (SC), perhaps the world's biggest funder of basic physical science research. (Disclosure: for ten years I was Senior Consultant for Innovation with SC's Office of Scientific and Technical Information and did research on this very topic.)

Looks like the kickoff conference for a new initiative, so maybe worth registering and at least attending a bit. (The speakers list looks rather long.) SC is a very big gun.

SciPEP is the Science Public Engagement Partnership, which looks to be new.

David

David Wojick

Jul 23, 2021, 7:37:27 PM7/23/21
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
You have to register to see the agenda, which is mostly panels of academics with a scattering of agency outreach people. No hint of publishing. There are some interaction sessions where OA and OS might be introduced.

David

On Jul 23, 2021, at 3:21 PM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Anthony Watkinson

Jul 24, 2021, 7:23:41 AM7/24/21
to David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com
You can see the speakers David. I am an information scientist these days and it always amazes me how information science is so cut off from science policy - these people. Publishers and librarians do not interact with these people either,

Anthony

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/911055C4-F02E-4FF6-B52A-E8E35B702E61%40craigellachie.us.