New US open access policy

Glenn Hampson

Aug 25, 2022, 8:45:16 PM8/25/22
to osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Thank you to Ilona for bringing this to my attention. I haven’t fully absorbed this yet but on it’s face, it looks like the US is making a major edit to T Scott’s work that will result in US open policy looking much more like the EU’s.

Sent from my iPhone
08-2022-OSTP-Public-Access-Memo.pdf

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 6:27:48 AM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
I have not studied this new policy but up front all it does is (1) eliminate the 12 month embargo period from the public access system of agency repositories of accepted manuscripts and (2) expand that system to include agencies with smaller research budgets.

I see no mandate to publish OA. If there is one please point it out in the text. Same for funding OA publication.

David

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 9:11:43 AM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Now we see what the publishers do. They might sue, given that the embargo was the compromise that kept them from suing last time. Or they might decide that this program is harmless. I am sure they are discussing it.

Not suing last time likely cost them their two strongest arguments. First that the federal use license does not apply to articles they did not pay for the writing of, which is likely most of them. Second federal use does not include publication.

They will have to argue this mandate is damaging and capricious. Not a strong argument given the benefits of OA.

We shall see.

David

On Aug 26, 2022, at 7:30 AM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

I have not studied this new policy but up front all it does is (1) eliminate the 12 month embargo period from the public access system of agency repositories of accepted manuscripts and (2) expand that system to include agencies with smaller research budgets.

Danny Kingsley

Aug 26, 2022, 10:19:23 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Hi all,

David, that elimination of the 12 month embargo is not insignificant as implied by your tone. I have looooong argued (approx 15 years) that the complete lack of evidence for embargoes means the huge amount of busy work for librarians in institutions and countries that use green OA is a complete waste of time. I am exhausted by the argument - so I say bloody hooray this has happened.

PS it is just after midnight Fri night here & I am off to bed so unlikely to respond in real time.

Danny

Dr Danny Kingsley
Scholarly Communication Consultant
t: @dannykay68
o: 0000-0002-3636-5939

On 26 Aug 2022, at 11:11 pm, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

Now we see what the publishers do. They might sue, given that the embargo was the compromise that kept them from suing last time. Or they might decide that this program is harmless. I am sure they are discussing it.

JJE Esposito

Aug 26, 2022, 10:27:46 AM8/26/22
to Danny Kingsley, David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
David, could you elaborate your remarks, please? You say that the eMBARGO period has been eliminated, but then you say that there is no mandate to publish OA. Isn't that a distinction without a difference? I may be missing a fine point here and would welcome  a clarification.
Joe Esposito

--
Joseph J. Esposito
espo...@gmail.com

Lisa Hinchliffe

Aug 26, 2022, 10:31:30 AM8/26/22
to Danny Kingsley, David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Oh, the work of Green continues here!
___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:03:21 AM8/26/22
to JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Joe, the embargo has only been eliminated on the federal posting of the accepted manuscript by the agency repositories. Authors can still publish in any journal they choose, including subscription journals that never make the VOR articles OA. So there is no mandate to publish OA.

David

Glenn Hampson

Aug 26, 2022, 11:08:39 AM8/26/22
to Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, T Scott Plutchak, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Looking through the policy again just now (12 hours opposite Danny), it’s intriguingly vague. The overriding goal is “to make publications and their supporting data resulting from federally funded research publicly accessible without an embargo on their free and public release.” To reach this goal, every federal agency that funds research will need to come up with their own mechanisms. I don’t disagree that the net effect over time might be to push the US toward a gold rush, but in the short term, there may also be a whole lot of KISS (keep it simple stupid) solutions that dot the horizon, such as:

  1. Green, baby. A massive infusion of green content along with a massive upgrade to what green repositories can do (connectedness, discoverability, etc.) would be fantastic outcome for research (remember the All-Scholarship Repository?), providing that the incentives get aligned. Will researchers see the prestige in this route? Will overlay journals pop up that curate the best-of-green and sell it by subscription? Will peer review mechanisms keep pace such that these repositories will be well-regarded and not just junk heaps?
  2. What about subscription journals? The kicker here, as Michael noted, is that there’s comparatively little prestige in green, so “open” may mean gold. Even still, the overwhelming majority of prestigious journals are subscription based. Researchers publish in these venues and cite articles in these venues for a reason---not because they’re vain, but because these venues are generally older and more established, and the articles in them are reliably vetted, high quality, and relevant. It doesn’t seem likely---economically---that all these journals will be able to flip to gold in a hurry (and this flip will need to be very fast in order to meet the 2025 deadline). So, this policy will either be extended to give journals more time to flip, or, it will be softened at the edges such that subscription journals can qualify for inclusion by becoming hybrid (wherein the research supported by federal funding is gold but the rest of the journal stays subscription). By this thinking, the next wave of growth will be flips to hybrid, not gold.
  3. Parsing “publicly accessible.” CC-BY isn’t a requirement (yet). The lowest common denominator of publicly accessible is free to read, and PubMedCentral already does this, so no new wheels will need to be invented for researchers. Personally, I like this vagueness. Data should be CC-0 and but text can be searched/summarized without being CC-BY (even though the majority of new articles being deposited to PMC carry some version of a CC-BY license).
  4. Fallout from “on their free and public release.” What does this mean? There are two competing forces at work here. Pulling in one direction, researchers need to publish asap to register their discovery. Pulling in the other direction, many researchers are compelled (often legally, by partnership agreements with the private firms they are partnering with---think pharma and biotech research) to sit on their data long enough to eke out maximum value before making it public. To satisfy the first need, we may see a rise in use of “discovery registration” as a precursor to publishing---not a full-on pre-print or journal article, but a public notice that entity x has made discovery y (because you may not want to publish your work right away, but you still need to announce your discovery). To satisfy the second need, researchers will be instructed to build more time into their research timelines---to extend their federal funding requests 6-12 months such that they’re sitting on the data for a while longer (meaning that the pace of science communication and discovery will slow, not accelerate). I’m not disagreeing with Danny about embargos---just noting that they serve a purpose in the incentive system so those so incentivized will invent workarounds, and the end result will be a new world of unintended consequences.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

T Scott

Aug 26, 2022, 11:08:49 AM8/26/22
to Lisa Hinchliffe, Danny Kingsley, David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

As we noted in our recent paper describing the impact of the Roundtable on the 2013 Holdren memo, it was clear that the only policy issue undecided by OSTP in the spring of 2012 was what to do about the embargo (that the policy wasn't announced for nearly another year had to do with politics, not policy).  They wanted real evidence for the impact of embargoes of whatever length and despite all of the rhetoric from all sides, there was none.  All that could be said at the time was that the scattering of 12-month embargoes had had no demonstrable impact on subscriptions.  We recommended using the 12-months as a starting point while encouraging the agencies to work closely with their disciplinary communities to examine the impact and develop evidence for longer or shorter embargoes on an agency by agency basis.  Language to that effect made it into the final OSTP guidance, but I'm not aware of any real efforts in that direction (I'm not sure if we were naive or merely hopeful in suggesting that there should be).  What is clear a decade later is that the scholarly publishing enterprise remains as healthy as it was prior to 2013, so it's not surprising that OSTP finally decided to go ahead with eliminating the embargoes altogether.  I have a note from Fred Dylla this morning in which he laments the lack of significant broad stakeholder engagement and suggests it's unlikely the agencies will be able to deliver their plans within the timeframe required.  He also notes that analysis from Howard Ratner at CHORUS and David Weinreich at STM will provide some clues as to how publishers may be likely to respond.

Glenn Hampson

Aug 26, 2022, 11:10:38 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Ooh. Please explain---how/where do you read/interpret this?

Joe, the embargo has only been eliminated on the federal posting of the accepted manuscript by the agency repositories. Authors can still publish in any journal they choose, including subscription journals that never make the VOR articles OA. So there is no mandate to publish OA.

David Wojick

JJE Esposito

Aug 26, 2022, 11:15:38 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Well, that's a distinction without a difference, in my view.

Joe

Michael Clarke

Aug 26, 2022, 11:18:44 AM8/26/22
to JJE Esposito, David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Agree. It is a mandate to publish *green* OA that will result in the end of green OA (because it will make subscriptions unviable and force publishers to shift to gold) and hence is ultimately a gold mandate.

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:22:56 AM8/26/22
to T Scott, Lisa Hinchliffe, Danny Kingsley, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Exactly Scott. Any hint what those clues are?

It may be hard for CHORUS to meet that deadline but for the agency repositories the software change could be simple. They could change the administrative interval from 12 months to one day or some such.

David

Lisa Hinchliffe

Aug 26, 2022, 11:23:20 AM8/26/22
to Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Nuanced point that some won't care about but I think it matters financially: it will result in the end of green-only OA.

Articles will end up gold AND green. Gold so that the author can comply with green. And, of course, the cost of supporting both. We do finally get rid of the cost of subscriptions though?

___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:24:21 AM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Here is the basic point.

"This memorandum provides policy guidance to federal agencies with research and development expenditures on updating their public access policies. In accordance with this memorandum, OSTP recommends that federal agencies, to the extent consistent with applicable law:
st
1. Update their public access policies as soon as possible, and no later than December 31 ,
2025, to make publications and their supporting data resulting from federally funded
research publicly accessible without an embargo on their free and public release;"

They are just updating the public access policy that established the agency repositories.

David

Glenn Hampson

Aug 26, 2022, 11:25:59 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, T Scott Plutchak, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

David---interesting if true, but I think your interpretation is at odds with the specificity of section 3a: that articles “are made freely available and publicly accessible by default in agency-designated repositories without any embargo or delay after publication.” So, yes, a researcher COULD publish in a subscription journal, but only if that journal made the article free to read (at minimum) immediately upon publishing.

Michael Clarke

Aug 26, 2022, 11:30:00 AM8/26/22
to Lisa Hinchliffe, JJE Esposito, David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Important nuance Lisa - yes, end of “green-on OA.”

I imagine we are in a phase with subscriptions much like we were with print 20 year ago — they will not disappear overnight but the trend line will only go in one direction.

Lisa Hinchliffe

Aug 26, 2022, 11:31:08 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Sections 3a and 4 aren't just updates/expansions to what exists. Open data mandate, metadata, and PIDs ...  Honestly, I'm pretty excited for the PIDs -- though the deadline for that is even later. So much potential to link up everything.

___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:38:58 AM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, T Scott Plutchak, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
The agency designated repositories are in general the agency public access repositories.  The article is the accepted manuscript. This article builds on the 2013 memo that built the system. The publisher has no role or responsibility (except CHORUS). It is all based on the supposed federal use license.

David

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:40:12 AM8/26/22
to Lisa Hinchliffe, Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Yes but I am only talking about articles.

David

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 11:43:16 AM8/26/22
to Michael Clarke, Lisa Hinchliffe, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
This all assumes that the zero embargo US public access system will seriously and widely hurt subscriptions. It may not, for several well known possible reasons.

David

On Aug 26, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Michael Clarke <mtcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Important nuance Lisa - yes, end of “green-on OA.”

Lisa Hinchliffe

Aug 26, 2022, 11:47:53 AM8/26/22
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
David, you started off saying "I have not studied this new policy but up front all it does is (1) eliminate the 12 month embargo period from the public access system of agency repositories of accepted manuscripts and (2) expand that system to include agencies with smaller research budgets."

I was responding to the assertion of "All it does" ... those two things aren't all it does.

Michael Clarke

Aug 26, 2022, 11:50:31 AM8/26/22
to Lisa Hinchliffe, David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Other than *that*, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? ;-)

T Scott

Aug 26, 2022, 12:06:56 PM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Footnote 4 to section 3a says that such publications include "research articles or final manuscripts" so the author can do just what they're doing now -- publish in a subscription journal and deposit the final manuscript, but with no embargo.  The issue for the publisher will be whether they're willing to amend whatever their publication agreement currently is to eliminate the embargo requirement.  OSTP is assuming the publishers will squawk and complain and gnash their teeth and eventually give in just as they did ten years ago.  At some point, around 2018 or later, there will finally be enough unembargoed green to find out what the impact of librarians' subscribing behavior will be.

Scott

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 12:24:29 PM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, T Scott Plutchak, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
CAVEAT: I stopped publishing my weekly subscription newsletter "Inside Public Access" four years ago, after five years of doing it, because there was little left to report. Things may well have happened since then that I do not know about. With CHORUS for example.

David

On Aug 26, 2022, at 12:41 PM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

The agency designated repositories are in general the agency public access repositories.  The article is the accepted manuscript. This article builds on the 2013 memo that built the system. The publisher has no role or responsibility (except CHORUS). It is all based on the supposed federal use license.

David Wojick

Aug 26, 2022, 12:30:38 PM8/26/22
to JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Yes, Joe, I think we are using the term "OA mandate" in two different ways (among many). Your version includes green OA, with authors required to deposit in a repository. Mine refers to requiring authors to publish OA. But the repository requirement has been there  since 2013. The new memo just eliminates the 12 month delay for subscription articles.

I am reminded of this: https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2013/11/11/open-access-on-the-sea-of-confusion/ about multiple meanings.

David

Glenn Hampson

Aug 26, 2022, 12:40:48 PM8/26/22
to T Scott, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Interesting angle---thanks David, Scott.

Do you really think libraries will unsubscribe, Scott? Much of the world’s research will still be in subscription format, and subscribers will no doubt be increasingly enticed with more and more value-added---high functioning data warehouses, for instance. So, even if embargoes are dropped and the US government starts paying APC fees to publishers, won’t this be IN ADDITION to subscription funds (for overlay journals, China journals, etc.)?

Either way, it seems like we’re heading for a massive payday for publishers, who have demonstrated they aren’t likely to go quietly into the night.

Still, as the smoke clears, even will all this spinning of the wheels, this dreamed about benefit from open access/data doesn’t materialize unless the info/data is truly integrated and interoperable, which is a massive undertaking unto itself (and one that hasn’t been executed anywhere at scale---it’s a truly complex task well beyond the scope of anything anyone in the open community has discussed). Massive open initiatives without purpose or focus (beyond just making things open) aren’t likely to deliver on the promise of open. As we posited long ago in this group, open should be a means to an end, not the end itself.

T Scott

Aug 26, 2022, 12:55:10 PM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Will libraries unsubscribe?  Well, that's always been the unknown, hasn't it?  Librarians are pretty conservative in practice.  If there are some journals that end up with 100% open content then librarians will be inclined to cancel those.   But I think the reality will be much more complex and will take years for us to see clear impacts.  During those years innovative publishers will come up with plenty of clever ways to develop services that will keep them in business.

Scott

Mel DeSart

Aug 26, 2022, 6:05:09 PM8/26/22
to Glenn Hampson, T Scott, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Libraries are already unsubscribing, and not because of anything of note to do with the original OSTP directive from 2013.  Rather, put crudely, at least SOME libraries have finally grown a pair and have started pushing back against the packaging, pricing, and license terms of content, particularly from commercial publishers.  The University of Washington isn’t cutting edge on this front in the least, but we reduced our spend with Wiley last year, we’re working to reduce our spend with Elsevier this year, and we’ll be looking to reduce our spend with Springer-Nature next year.  The timing on those is tied entirely to when existing multi-year deals are expiring or have expired.  Doing that frees up collections money to invest in other publishing ventures that we feel are worthy of support without having to go to the Provost to ask for additional funding to be able to make those investments.

We’d like to believe that the stronger stance that we and other libraries are taking in these negotiations also sends a message to at least some of those publishers that we’ve finally realized that we have some power and leverage in our journal negotiations with those publishers AND that we’re going to start exercising some of it.  Our ILL and document delivery systems are well-enough developed that we can get a scan of an article for a researcher in just a day or two (and sometimes within just a few hours).  And while faculty may have initially objected to losing _immediate_ access to content from a particular journal, most have been happy enough that we’ve been able to get them a copy of an article they need in relatively short order that the long-term grousing is pretty minimal.

Some library systems have realized (and more are beginning to) that while publishers control their content, academic libraries control the money that pays for that content, so they DO have more leverage in package negotiations than they realized they had.  And because these kinds of situations are no longer isolated, but rather are happening at libraries all over the U.S. (and likely more broadly, although I’m not as well acquainted with journal negotiations of institutions in other countries), commercial publishers are recognizing that libraries reducing their spend is leaning toward becoming the norm rather than an occasional isolated instance.  Publishers obviously don’t like to see subscription cuts, and NOT just for financial reasons.  Part of publishers’ power is the number of titles they’re able to publish and the reputation of their journals portfolio.  When enough libraries start cutting journals from a particular publisher, that begins to impact the prestige of that publisher as well as its bottom line.  Based on what I am hearing from colleagues, as well as a publisher rep or two, at least some commercial publishers are resigning themselves to the fact that libraries ARE going to cut titles from their current packages and that those publishers are more looking to limit the degree of cuts rather than to try to stop them altogether.

In the short term, I don’t think the updated directive from OSTP will have much of any impact on subscriptions.  There are core journals from every publisher that libraries will continue to want to subscribe to because their user community publishes in those journals and wants to read the work that others publish in those journals.  Whether the new directive emboldens more libraries to push back against publisher offers to try to gain more control over their spend (and their negotiations with those publishers) or whether it makes libraries that have already pushed back push even harder the next time they enter into negotiations with a particular publisher remains to be seen.

Mel

Lisa Hinchliffe

Aug 26, 2022, 10:44:28 PM8/26/22
to Mel DeSart, Glenn Hampson, T Scott, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Co-sign to what Mel said. All of that an unsub too - recalling SUNY credited unsub as instrumental in cutting $7 million from their Elsevier contrat. Two pieces I can suggest as a bit of a primer/background: https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2020/07/14/what-do-libraries-keep-when-they-cancel-the-big-deal/ and https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2020/05/19/taking-a-big-bite-out-of-the-big-deal/

___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

T Scott

Aug 26, 2022, 10:48:54 PM8/26/22
to Lisa Hinchliffe, Mel DeSart, Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, Danny Kingsley, Michael Clarke, JJE Esposito, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Absolutely agree. The OSTP policy is a factor but there are so many other elements at play in the decisions librarians make.

Scott