survey update

Glenn Hampson

Mar 4, 2022, 5:31:25 PMMar 4
to osi20...@googlegroups.com, Neupane, Bhanu, Du Toit, Jaco

Hi Folks,

Here’s a quick update on the OSI researcher survey--- https://forms.gle/GddPew4XTfL29rUn7---and also a bcc heads-up to seven researchers who I forgot to bcc before (sorry about that), as well as two organizations still thinking about distributing this.

I think we have exceeded expectations so far. After two days of advertising we now have volunteer commitments from 60 researchers representing 10 different countries and all levels of experience and fields of expertise. This is just from your outreach efforts and OSI’s retweeted tweet, so thank you. Coming up soon are really huge (compared to OSI) distributions by Emerald Publishing, SciELO, Cactus (hopefully), and Figshare, all of which could net us a really large and very geographically diverse group of researchers who can help us with our upcoming policy development work---exciting stuff.

Speaking of which, I’d like to ask for volunteers from OSI who can meet (virtually) soon to discuss how best to structure our engagement with this global group---e.g., a few massive online conferences, distributed workgroups through Slack, a listserv, etc. I think at minimum  we can reach everyone through some kind of email/newsletter solution, through which we can then distribute more surveys and questionnaires, get feedback on best practices, etc. A lot of this planning will depend on how large the researcher group ends up being. Managing a group of 60 is a lot different than a group of 6,000 😊 Just let me know directly if you’d like to be part of this planning group and we can then pick a meeting date for early-ish April (after which point we’ll have a better idea of group size).

And finally, the data being collected is being dumped into one humungous Excel spreadsheet. Cross-tabbing a few hundred responses is going to be easy, but analyzing thousands is quite possibly going to be way above my pay grade. So, if anyone has a grad student available with R skills or some such, that would be wonderful. We’re a 501c3 on a frayed shoestring budget so we can’t pay anything, but we can offer bona fide nonprofit volunteer hours and recognition---maybe even an opportunity to co-author a report if we get lots of responses.

Thanks all. Good weekend, pray for peace,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)