FW: This Thursday on the Future Trends Forum: teaching change with José Antonio Bowen

Glenn Hampson

Oct 4, 2021, 3:58:10 PM10/4/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Of interest from Bryan

From: Bryan Alexander <bryan.a...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, October 4, 2021 11:01 AM
To: gham...@nationalscience.org
Subject: This Thursday on the Future Trends Forum: teaching change with José Antonio Bowen

Greetings, Future Trends Forum friends!

This week we're returning to one of our favorite topics with the help of a spectacular guest.  On Thursday, October 7th, from 2-3 pm EDT, we'll be joined by José Antonio Bowen, teacher, president, consultant, musician, author of Teaching Naked and, most recently, Teaching Change: How to Develop Independent Thinkers Using Relationships, Resilience, and Reflection

Our guest has been leading innovation and change for over 35 years at Stanford, Georgetown, and the University of Southampton (UK), then as a dean at Miami University and SMU and as president of a USN&WR most innovative college until 2019. He now runs Bowen Innovation Group L.L.C., and does innovation, leadership, pedagogy and D&I consulting and training in both higher education and for Fortune 500 companies in the healthcare, energy, automotive, and telecom sectors. (In 2020-21 he worked with leaders from AT&T, Chevron, Lockheed-Martin, Toyota, Verizon, Walmart and with dozens of colleges and universities.)

As a scholar, Bowen holds four degrees from Stanford University (in Chemistry, Music, and Humanities), has written over 100 scholarly articles, was editor of the Cambridge Companion to Conducting (2003), and an editor of the 6-CD set, Jazz: The Smithsonian Anthology (2011). He received a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship and has a TED talk on Beethoven as Bill Gates. In 2010, Stanford honored him as a Distinguished Alumni Scholar.

Teaching Naked (2012) was the winner of the Ness Award for Best Book on Higher Education from the American Association of Colleges and Universities. The sequel, Teaching Naked Techniques: A Practical Guideto Designing Better Classes with G. Edward Watson (2017), was called “as rich a resource…to improve students’ learning as has been written in a generation.” For more, see teachingnaked.com or his education TED talks.

I plan on asking Dr. Bowen about how we can best improve the learning experience.  What should we do to design better educational environments?  How can we best support students and faculty members?

More importantly, you will have the chance to ask your own questions. After all, the way the Forum works is that all attendees can ask our guests questions, engage and collaborate with other leaders in education technology, and also invite friends and colleagues to join.

To RSVP ahead of time, or to jump straight in at 2 pm EDT this Thursday, click here:

https://shindig.com/login/event/bowen

To find more information about the Future Trends Forum, including notes and recordings of all previous sessions, click here: http://forum.futureofeducation.us/

Copyright © 2021 Bryan Alexander Consulting, LLC, All rights reserved.
I'm writing to you because you participated in at least one Future Trends Forum.

Our mailing address is:

Bryan Alexander Consulting, LLC

10565 Winged Elm Circle

Manassas, VA 20110

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Bryan Alexander

Oct 4, 2021, 4:13:23 PM10/4/21
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
It should be a fun session.  Jose is a dynamo.

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---