FW: Disrupting history all week on Clubhouse

Glenn Hampson

Dec 6, 2021, 2:33:46 PM12/6/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Calling all OSI history buffs (and holiday shoppers still looking for that right gift)---here’s an update on Jason’s History Clubhouse and his long-awaited book (heading toward #1 on Amazon!). Pre-order your copy today (History, Disrupted, ISBN 9783030851163)!

Date: Monday, December 6th @ 8:00 p.m. ET

Show: NewsNewsNews

About: NewsNewsNews is Clubhouse’s daily show devoted to journalism and pressing headlines. My book delves extensively into the role the news media play in shaping what histories we learn and which we never encounter. In NewsNewsNews this week, we’ll talk about this intersection of history and journalism, and what it means for our understandings of the past. Hosted by Andrew Lee, Katherine Lynn and others, NewsNewsNews has more than 43,000 members.

Date: Tuesday, December 7th @ 8:00 p.m. ET

Show: Politics + Media 101

About: Politics + Media 101 is Clubhouse’s bipartisan politics program. Hosted twice per week, the show has interviewed Members of Congress, federal policymakers and journalists from both sides of the aisle to talk about the state of U.S. politics. “History, Disrupted” addresses the role that history plays in America’s political battles, as well as historical misinformation and disinformation online. Founded by Justin Higgins, Politics + Media 101 has more than 37,000 members.

Date: Wednesday, December 8th @ 8:00 p.m. ET

Show: Human Behavior

About: Human Behavior hosts regular conversations on neuroscience, psychology and marketing, bringing in medical professionals, authors, marketers and scientists for a wide range of fascinating dialogues. In particular, the show has examined the broad effects of social media on society, a topic that is at the heart of my book. Led by Dr. Sohaib Imtiaz, Human Behavior is the largest club on Clubhouse. It has more than 650,000 members.

Date: Thursday, December 9th @ 10:00 p.m. ET

Show: History Club

About: Hosted by yours truly, History Club hosts historically-informed and civic-minded conversations that connect the past with the present. History Club has been around since August 2020, and we’ve covered topics such as African American participation in the U.S. Civil War, U.S.-China relations, and the intersection of cryptocurrency and museums. This week, we’ll celebrate the forthcoming release of History, Disrupted with the assistance of friends-of-the-show Catherine Connors, “Amazing” Kwasi Asare, and other special guests. History Club has more than 102,000 members.

Date: Friday, December 10th @ 1:00 p.m. ET

Show: Citizens of Culture

About: Citizens of Culture examines the intersection of culture, activism and the arts. The show has hosted activists, writers, artists and social media influencers asking how culture is made and shaped, and by whom. History, Disrupted devotes several pages to the role of activists in shaping the histories we see online. Convened by artist and performer Maceo Paisley, the club has more than 32,000 members.

Date: Sunday, December 12th @ 1:00 p.m. ET

Show: We the Future

About: We the Future brings multiple generations together to discuss the challenges facing our world. The show has tackled issues such as climate change, global inequality, gender inequality, racial inequality, public health, sustainable agriculture and impact investing. The final chapter of History, Disrupted is titled, “Does History Have a Future?” In this conversation, we’ll speculate on the future of history in a Web 3.0 world. Convened by technologist and futurist Kunal Sood, the club has more than 154,000 members.

Here’s a flier with all the events listed in one place:

Join us for one, some, or all of these conversations!

Can’t make these events? Don’t fret. This is just the tip of iceberg. Many more events are being planned for 2022, in-person and online. Stay tuned to this newsletter, as well as Twitter, Instagram and my website for updates.

See you on Clubhouse this week!

P.S. - A reminder you can buy the book on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, or you can order through your local independent bookstore. Just provide the title (History, Disrupted) and the ISBN (9783030851163).

History Club meets Thursdays at 10 pm ET. Want to participate? Suggest a topic for a future conversation.

Haven’t supported the History Club? Please consider it. Your support allows me to publish posts like this.

Share

Comment

Share

You’re a free subscriber to The History Club. For the full experience, become a paid subscriber.

Subscribe

© 2021 Jason Steinhauer Unsubscribe
In the heart of the nation's capital

Publish on Substack