survey spam

Glenn Hampson

Mar 9, 2022, 1:47:52 PM3/9/22
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

From the egg on my face file, it looks like about 90% of the researcher survey responses we’ve collected via Twitter so far are spam---people who saw the prize money and filled out fake replies and fake contact information. So, I’ve tightened up the email field to require a WORK email address (instead of a clearly spammer gmail address). Hopefully this will help. I would also advise any groups considering sending this out to just use your internal channels (like a newsletter) instead of social media. We would obviously rather collect 100 good replies than 1,000 junk replies.

The good news is that the SciELO survey was almost 100% clean, so those observations I relayed yesterday are still accurate. I’ll hold off on relaying any more observations until the data is cleaned. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Glenn

Lynn Kamerlin

Mar 9, 2022, 1:48:40 PM3/9/22
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
This is super depressing, that people would do that. Hopefully requiring a work email address will help. So sorry they messed the survey up like this!

Lynn

-------------------------------------

Caroline Lynn Kamerlin, PhD, Docent

Professor of Structural Biology
Wallenberg Scholar
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
Department of Chemistry - BMC
Uppsala University
Phone: +46 (0) 18 471 4423
Mobile: +46 (0) 70 425 0181

Due to my own family/work life balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy

Glenn Hampson

Mar 9, 2022, 2:06:09 PM3/9/22
to Lynn Kamerlin, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Should have seen it coming…fill out this survey and win $100! Duh. But it’s encouraging that from a targeted list the response rate can be really good. So fingers crossed we can get help from some more folks with clean lists (publishers, scholarly societies, etc.). If anyone out there is interested, just let me know and I’ll create a custom version of the survey for you so your results can be used to tell you something about scholcomm attitudes in your group/institution.

cm...@ic.unicamp.br

Mar 9, 2022, 7:15:09 PM3/9/22
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Dear Glenn

I am extremely sorry, this is unbelievable. I intended to help, and engage
people in RDA-Brazil, but am absolutely overburdened and have not been
able to do anything

Until when is the survey on?

CLaudia