survey update

Glenn Hampson

Mar 8, 2022, 2:07:01 PM3/8/22
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

What a difference a region makes. SciELO started circulating a unique version of the OSI researcher survey yesterday. About three dozen responses have been received so far, representing seven South American countries. Over 75% of the respondents from this region note being unhappy with the current research communication system and would like to help look for new solutions. Lowering costs and closing the North-South equity gap topped the priorities list.

In contrast to this perspective, Figshare promoted a link yesterday and three dozen responses from this mostly US cohort (so far) are even happier than the OSI cohort with the state of research communication---about 70% are satisfied with the way things are.

So, TBD since we only have 130 responses so far, but there does appear to be a clear split forming at the moment between the “establishment” and everyone else---researchers in the US and EU who have what the need and are using it to full advantage, and researchers elsewhere in the world who are frustrated by a lack of equity and affordability.

Again, still to be determined (from more data analysis and follow-up questions) is what exactly people mean when they say they’re “satisfied.” Does this mean “I’m getting what I need and don’t have time to worry about everyone else,” or “I’m taking advantage of reforms and they’re working out well,” or “I’m playing the subscription journal JIF game and winning so far,” etc. Lots of nuance to uncover.