Re: Another candidate for a bad English predatory spam award

David Wojick

Aug 3, 2022, 5:45:36 AM8/3/22
to Simon Linacre, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can use GS to calculate an impact factor. That their number is bogus does not surprise me. That is a different issue.

David

On Aug 3, 2022, at 3:10 AM, Simon Linacre <slin...@gmail.com> wrote:

A few points on this:
- It is possible to estimate a journal's Impact Factor if you have access to Web of Science, which is something publishers do to see if a journal has a chance of being accepted. This estimation, as Glenn points out, is not the Impact Factor, just an estimate of how a journal would perform if it was accepted into WoS
- The journal in question states its 'Impact Factor' is 0.883 - you can get a quick and dirty estimate of a journal's citation rate through Harzing's Publish or Perish software using Google Scholar as a data source. In this case, the journal published 24 articles in 2019-2020 that have received a total of 12 citations all-time (ie not just in 2021 required for the Impact Factor), so even with Google Scholar counts (which count everything rather than just WoS-indexed journals), its highest possible Impact Factor could only be 0.500 (but is more likely to be 0.000)
- A study published in THE today shows that where you publish still matters to academics (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/academic-reputation-still-driven-journal-prestige-survey?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial-daily&mc_cid=7b41f8875c&mc_eid=0c5faf57e2), so not only is the IF here to stay for a while yet, so are predatory journals ripping it off

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 at 02:26, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:
Or maybe what we need is yet another journal impact metric!—-this from Richard Poynder’s tweet: https://twitter.com/rickypo/status/1553987139859353600?s=21&t=QkzZrRaoqoMNFnDQLyliLA

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2022, at 6:02 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

 Not sure that’s true either because Clarivate uses one dataset for all calculations—self-counts may not be accurate—but I defer to the publishing experts here. In any event, as Lisa just tweeted (https://twitter.com/lisalibrarian/status/1554071262246445057?s=21&t=QkzZrRaoqoMNFnDQLyliLA) this focus on JIFs was supposed to disappear in the OA age. Hardly.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2022, at 5:04 PM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

 It may be a trademark violation but it can still be accurate.

David

On Aug 2, 2022, at 7:29 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

Well, technically, no. The Journal Impact Factor is a trademarked product that is owned and operated by Clarivate. There are no personal impact factors (well, there are, but they aren’t official JIFs). Also, only journals listed in the Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) and the Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) receive an Impact Factor from Clarivate. So, if a journal is making one up, they aren’t listed. Which isn’t at all to say they’re predatory---just that they’re too new, too small, or too insignificant (relatively speaking) to merit having an “actual” JIF. It’s a wildly abused and misused metric that we’ve complained about forever, but it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere soon.

On 2022-08-01 16:25, David Wojick wrote:

 Maybe not as bad as the last one. Runner up?

David

Begin forwarded message:

From: Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal <bios...@juniper-publisher.org>
Date: August 1, 2022 at 9:08:29 AM AST
To: "dwo...@craigellachie.us" <dwo...@Craigellachie.us>
Subject: Your Transcript

Dear Dr. David Wojick,

I am sure you're quite busy, but I would appreciate if you could take a moment to my below request.

Well, our Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal (BBOAJ) is scheduled to release its Upcoming issue, but we are in deficit of one article so is it possible for you to support us with any of your manuscript to achieve this goal?

Appreciate if you could provide your acknowledgment within 24 hrs.

Await your submission.

Regards,
Ruby Simmons
Assistant Managing Editor, Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal (BBOAJ)
ISSN: 2573-2633 |Impact Factor:0.883
Phone:+1-805-200-4030 |Fax:1-855-420-6872
www.juniperpublishers.com|bios...@juniperpublishers.com

3700 Park View Ln #12B, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
*If you do not wish to receive further emails from us please email us.

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/2CD5ACCE-F9D4-4AF6-8477-C9257D8D522E%40craigellachie.us.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/BN6PR1701MB1732D51931F3DCAD8F38C681C59D9%40BN6PR1701MB1732.namprd17.prod.outlook.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/75124EA8-A2A6-476F-91BF-7DC8D516C929%40nationalscience.org.

--
Simon Linacre

5 Otley Mount
East Morton
Keighley
West Yorkshire BD20 5TD
UK

Twitter: @slinacre

David Wojick

Aug 3, 2022, 9:03:37 AM8/3/22
to Simon Linacre, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
The basic point is that while one can own a name, they cannot own a concept or a calculation. People can calculate impact factors according to the standard procedure, citations over time, including not using WOS. One can even argue that GS gives a better estimate than WOS. Whether they can then call the result an "impact factor" is a complex legal question, that likely varies by country.

David

On Aug 3, 2022, at 6:47 AM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

Yes, you can use GS to calculate an impact factor. That their number is bogus does not surprise me. That is a different issue.

Glenn Hampson

Aug 3, 2022, 11:04:45 AM8/3/22
to David Wojick, Simon Linacre, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Again deferring to the experts here but there’s a “right” way to calculate the JIF and a whole bunch of “different” ways (e.g., technically, the citation counts for JIFs are only drawn from JCR, not from any/everywhere). So, for researchers who feel attracted to higher-impact venues (that would be most researchers), it may be important for them to understand why a 1.5 will be different for an OMICS journal than a Scopus journal. These two journals do NOT have the same “impact.” Also, Angela’s Scholarly Kitchen post from last week notes that Clarivate is expanding the inclusion list for issuing JIFs: The End of Journal Impact Factor Purgatory (and Numbers to the Thousandths) - The Scholarly Kitchen (sspnet.org).

I’m definitely not supporting impact factors or their use here---just noting that since they ARE used, it’s important not to gloss over the differences.