OpenSceneGraph Discussion Forum now live, will replace osg-users google group going forward

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2022, 3:17:22 PM11/20/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hi All,

First up, apologies for a long absence from the OpenSceneGraph helm. the VulkanSceneGraph-1.0.0 is now out so I finally have a little more mental capacity for thinking about other tasks.

My first task on the OpenSceneGraph side side was to create a new github Discussion forum on the OpenSceneGraph github account.  It's a real shame that this facility didn't exist when we had to move across to the osg-users google group, but better later than never!

My second task was to write my thoughts on what next the OpenScenGraph project with a thread on the new Discussion page:

Now point on my waffling on here as I'd like just keep osg-users google group for archiving old discussions.  Please head over to the the Disuccsion forum, comment/ask questions/party.

Cheers,
Robert Osfield
OpenSceneGraph/VulkanSceneGraph Project Lead.

Daniel Trstenjak

Nov 21, 2022, 1:33:33 AM11/21/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hi,

is there a way to get an email notification for any discussion in the
github forum? I only saw that you can subscribe to a single thread.

Greetings,
Daniel

Chris Jaquet

Nov 21, 2022, 1:39:19 AM11/21/22
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
You can click on watch -> Custom and then choose "Discussions" as far as I know:

image.png

bret curtis

Nov 21, 2022, 8:59:54 AM11/21/22
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hey gang,

would it be interesting at all to either have an IRC channel or a Discord/Matrix server, or combination of both (via bots)?

Cheers,
Bret

Sam

Nov 21, 2022, 2:10:35 PM11/21/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hey All,

Personally I'd love to see a bit of discord integration with OSG development. It's really the platform I use these days for most projects / community work.

Thanks, Sam

Robert Osfield

Nov 28, 2022, 7:43:20 AM11/28/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
I want to centralize discussions in one place for everyone to see without requiring folks, including myself, having to keep track of multiple venues for discussion.

The github Discussions have good interoperability with the rest of the Githib openscenegraph so minimizing the support overhead it's a clear winner for me.

Robert Osfield

Dec 4, 2022, 9:48:02 AM12/4/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hi All,

Several days ago I changed the openscenegraph website and the OpenSceneGraph/README to point to the new OpenSceneGraph Discussion forum and removed links to this google group but today got another request to join this group.  I would encourage everyone to post questions to the forum rather than this google group.

Rather perpetuate more users joining this group and using a deprecated form of support, I've now closed the groups from open requests to invite only.  If you aren't already a member of this group and feel you really need to reply then contact me and I can add you.  However, it's my expectation that this google group which is already very quiet will be fine to mothball.

As a general comment, I've been impressed with how things have gone for users on VulkanSceneGraph Github forum, it's really so much more fit for purpose than a google group with the ability to edit posts, to give them categories, to easily link to PRs, Issues, commits etc.  it also should be available to more folks around the world than a google group.

Cheers,
Robert.