dynamic tangent plane for ECEF

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Jun 7, 2021, 9:44:16 AM6/7/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Community,

I have ECEF database and I can perform 6 degrees of movement using the EllipsoidModel class. However I have a third party package that is integrated in my application that is not working in Geocentric. So just for the testing purposes, I create a tangent plane at some point of interest and move from there pretending with translations to my third party package that I am in local space. That works as a proof of concept, but the real thing is that I have to dynamically update the origin of the
tangent plane somehow for continuous movement around the globe. Here I will welcome some ideas, hints

Thanks a bunch as always!

Nick
--
trajce nikolov nick

Matthew Murrian

Jun 7, 2021, 10:09:55 AM6/7/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

It would help if you described a little more what the third-party package does.

If the third-party package only deals in 2D translations then you'll need to decide how much vertical error you're willing to accept and let that drive how frequently you update the origin of the tangent plane. By the way, the tangent plane you describe would be part of the ENU (East-North-Up) or NED (North-East-Down) coordinate system... to provide a few keywords if you are in search of already-derived equations.

But if the third-party package deals in 3D translations then it might be usable in ECEF coordinates after all.

What exactly is your question? Are you asking how to convert coordinates from one local frame to a local frame at a different origin? If so then, conceptually, you will want to convert through the ECEF frame.

First, convert from local frame at origin #1 coordinates to ECEF.
Then, convert from ECEF to local frame at origin #2 coordinates.

Best,
Matthew

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Jun 7, 2021, 11:00:44 AM6/7/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matthew.  It is trueSKY from Simul.co , clouds rendering package.

What you just wrote at the end makes sense. Let me try it and get back to you.

Thanks a lot!

Nick