Cessna blades rotation

marco....@elmansrl.eu

Jun 29, 2022, 5:56:02 AM6/29/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hi,

given the cessna model, I wanted to know if there is a possibility to hook the motor blade knot to make it spin ...

Anyway, if I had a model of a helicopter (.obj), what is the way to generate the spin effect?

Thanks

Tony Vasile

Jun 30, 2022, 5:07:30 AM6/30/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Normally you need a MatrixTransform node attach to the propeller geometry and apply the appropriate rotations to that. Obj only describes the geometry and the possibly the textures for model. Maybe the easiest thing to split the cessna geometry into the body of the plane and the propeller. Load both models and attach a MatrixTransfrom to the propeller. Next create an instance of a MatrixTransfrom and an instance of NodeCallback which updates the rotational position of the propeller every frame. It maybe tricky to align the propeller and the Cessna body after loading them. Just my 2 cents worth.

marco....@elmansrl.eu

Jul 1, 2022, 3:59:07 AM7/1/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Ok, I understand well.

But, is there a way to split by library the node into its components using some osg classes?

Andreas Ekstrand

Jul 1, 2022, 4:18:16 AM7/1/22
to osg-...@googlegroups.com, marco....@elmansrl.eu
Hi Marco,

Since there's only one Geometry in the Cessna model, you will need to split it manually in a modeling tool.

I recommend separating the propeller geometry into DOF nodes and saving as OpenFlight in Remo 3D...of course. :-) It's available as a fully functional 15-days evaluation version from our website.

Regards,
Andreas

Marco Maisano

Jul 1, 2022, 4:30:12 AM7/1/22
to Andreas Ekstrand, osg-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for fast reply,

ok for cessna...

But if I have a .obj file? Because I saw that for example using the PolytopeIntersector class I found all subnodes that compose the model, then is there a way to split the model's subnodes?
--
Marco Maisano

SW Department

______________________________________

Via di Valle Caia, 37

00071 Pomezia (ROME) - ITALY

View map

T.  +39.069194405

F.  +39.069194306

Web:  www.elmansrl.com

Email:  marco....@elmansrl.com

Join us

______________________________________

This e-mail message including any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information pursuant to Legislative Decree 196/2003 and the European General Data Protection Regulation 679/2016 (GDPR). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If this message was received by mistake, please delete it and contact the sender. Thank you.

Tony Vasile

Jul 2, 2022, 1:14:09 AM7/2/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
The problem with an obj file is that is only geometry with an optional material file. As Andreas the easiest way to seperate the propellor is to load into something like Blender or Remograph and select the propeller geometry and split it. With Blender you would need to covert it to a format that Blender can import using osgconv.

You could use osgviewer to load the model after trimming some of the geometry off and with some trial and error you could split the appropriate geometry.

Tony Vasile

Jul 2, 2022, 4:14:23 AM7/2/22
to OpenSceneGraph Users
To help you on you way I had a quick go with splitting the cessna.
propellers.osg
cessnabody.osg