osg workflow

vadim balashoff

Dec 2, 2021, 8:43:02 AM12/2/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Is there any description of osg workflow? Main goal is to determine a software list and file formats between.
Say, Blender -> dae -> osgconv -> osgt -> osg. Ok. But it's only one way conversion. If I need change something in osg, I have to use dae again in blender -> dae -> osgconv -> osgt -> osg?
I know that there is an plugin to blender to edit osg. But I think it's for old blender (old python version 2 etc) and for old osg format?

I know that there is an osgedit. So, it seems that possible workflow can look like this: blender -> dae -> osgconv -> osg <-> (!!!) osgedit -> osg file -> osg.
But there are some troubles. Yes, osgedit can edit osg files. But it's using GTK2 and old osg formats.
Right now I'm trying to upgrade it to GTK3 by the way, but there are a lot of work to do.

So, please give some advice about osg workflow please.

And one more question. it seems that osgt file can not contain links to external textures. There are can only be embedded in it. Is that so? So, it not git-friendly format, despite of it's text nature?

v.v.b.

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Dec 2, 2021, 10:22:30 AM12/2/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have used fbx and obj with Blender and osg in the past. You can edit in Blender and when you are happy with the result you go osgconv into osgb (better then osg). You can import fbx (and obj) directly into osg

trajce nikolov nick

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Dec 2, 2021, 2:48:58 PM12/2/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I was too fast with the response. You are after editing osgt. FBX and obj are still valid outputs from Blender and I think your workflow is ok. Maybe instead of dae I would use obj. As for exporting textures into files and not embedding them into osgt you can use "OutputTextureFiles" option: osgconv -O OutputTextureFiles file.obj file.osgt

Hope this helps
--
trajce nikolov nick

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Dec 2, 2021, 2:55:51 PM12/2/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
One more note, I just gave it a try. To not embed the texture data into osgt you should use it like this: osgconv -O "OutputTextureFiles WriteImageHint=WriteOut" ....
--
trajce nikolov nick

vadim balashoff

Dec 3, 2021, 4:53:54 AM12/3/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

02.12.2021, 22:49, "Trajce Nikolov NICK" <trajce.ni...@gmail.com>:
FBX and obj are still valid outputs from Blender and I think your workflow is ok. Maybe instead of dae I would use obj.

Thanks, I'll try. And I'll try osgconv -O "OutputTextureFiles WriteImageHint=WriteOut" thing as well.
So, this workflow is suitable for 3d models. What about scenes? I need scenes with particles and lights and so on. Which workflow is better for it? What format to choose? fbx again? Where can I edit particles and lights?
What about cutscenes? I need camera and objects moving.
There is a demo project BrainTrain on github (https://github.com/goost/BrainTrain)
Animation of moving train here is created by zillion V3 coordinates. Ugly and uneditable. Is there any other way?

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Dec 3, 2021, 7:01:26 AM12/3/21
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For scenes you can still use Blender and obj. I am pretty sure is Blender can render zillions if vertices osg will do it too. I have experienced even a case where Blender was crashing with out of memory error on scenes that osg was rendering.

For animation fbx is supported by osg.

For particles, cameras and lights you have to code.