Rendering huge point clouds

Trajce Nikolov NICK

Oct 5, 2020, 7:18:21 PM10/5/20
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Community,

This might be an easy issue but I am struggling just with it. I have an array of  4GB of vertex data (position, normal, color) and I am trying to render the most optimal way. I am considering creating batches but it is not working well. Any hints, snippets are highly welcome!

Thanks a bunch as always!

Cheers,
Nick

--
trajce nikolov nick

Rafa Gaitan

Oct 6, 2020, 3:05:43 AM10/6/20
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trajce,

There's no magic bullet for this, you will need to preprocess your data in chunks and use PagedLODs/DatabasePager to load/unload on demand. Something similar to what virtual planet builder does for imagery.

Markus Schütz, has some good papers and recent research to do it in an efficient way: https://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/publications/2020/SCHUETZ-2020-MPC/, although he didnt't use openscenegraph, but maybe is possible to create a readerwriter of that format.

Best regards,
Rafa.

OpenSceneGraph Users

Oct 6, 2020, 3:47:38 AM10/6/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hello,

You will need to subsample that, 4GB is way too much to display at once unless you have crazy hardware. One way of doing that is by building an octree and rendering only a fixed amount of points closest to the camera position.

For the rendering itself the fastest method is to use instancing and a custom shader that will generate whatever needs to be displayed for each point e.g. using a geometry shader. In that way you can render a few millions of points every frame without too much craziness if you have decent hardware.

Jan

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 01:18, OpenSceneGraph Users <osg-...@lists.openscenegraph.org> wrote:
Hi Community,

This might be an easy issue but I am struggling just with it. I have an array of  4GB of vertex data (position, normal, color) and I am trying to render the most optimal way. I am considering creating batches but it is not working well. Any hints, snippets are highly welcome!

Thanks a bunch as always!

Cheers,
Nick

--
trajce nikolov nick

Chris Hanson

Oct 8, 2020, 11:36:44 PM10/8/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
You might look at this discussion from a while back:

https://www.mail-archive.com/osg-...@lists.openscenegraph.org/msg78153.html

You probably want to use Entwine to build the LODs and the existing OSG LAS/LAZ loader plugin to consume the Entwine-written LAZ files.

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xe...@AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 • GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Legal/IP • Forensics • Imaging  UAVs • GIS • GPS • osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography • LIDAR • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel facebook.com/alphapixel (775) 623-PIXL [7495]