using Trac for osg

Jose L. Hidalgo

Nov 14, 2006, 12:04:20 PM11/14/06
to osg-crew
Trac ---> http://trac.edgewall.org/

If osg is going to move from cvs to svn, maybe as Jan said in the osg
list:

A nice tool which works with Subversion is Trac:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ - it provides source browsing, wiki and
integrated bug tracker all in one without requiring a dedicated
database
(everything is stored as subversion project). I am running this for our
internal needs at the moment and it works great.

I'm not sure about the not requiring a database ( the Tracs I installed
need a database from mysql or a file with the database sqlite... ) I'm
not sure, but it is fantastic how trac integrates with Subversion.
Installing track we will have:
- subversion browser
- wiki -- > IMHO the osg wiki needs reorganization, clean, purge or
whatever... nobody uses html-frames and maybe you can consider start
moving on a new wiki (Trac has its own)
- tickets, milestones, roadmap, bugtracker in general --> thats
perfect to send tickets with problems, bugs, enhacements, and let
people try to solve them.

Other things I'm impressed with, are:

Track Links --> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracLinks : Can be used
in any part of the wiki to point a milestone, a pice of code, a
ticket... and *should* be used in subversion comments.

RSS -> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracRss : That allows people to
syndicate events (from code, pages,...)

Other things: mail notification, queries, reports....

Best Regards,
Jose L.

Robert Osfield

Nov 14, 2006, 12:12:10 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

I'm open to using Trac, but I'm keen to take things slowly during the intial change over period.

The existing wiki has been very useful but a good wiki does need managing, prune, re-organsing to keep efficient.  I have never had the time to do this and since me time has always got more and more contended as time goes on the changes of me suddenly having time for this is close to zero.

However, we have a community ;-)

For the new server I'd suggest :

  1) move to svn,
  2) migrate exsting PmWiki website
  3) migrate mailman

Then when life has settled down, get 1.3 out the door, and once life settles down again start thinking about other technologies for the new server.

Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 14, 2006, 12:50:43 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Osfield

Nov 14, 2006, 1:59:17 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
One thing I'm considering is the using openscenegraph.net for ongoing experimentation, so things like Tracs could be experimented with there.  First instance will be using openscenegraph.net for the new server, then move the openscenengraph.org domain across last.

Jan Ciger

Nov 14, 2006, 2:25:44 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Osfield

Nov 14, 2006, 2:38:39 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/14/06, Jan Ciger <jan....@gmail.com> wrote:

Robert Osfield wrote:
> One thing I'm considering is the using openscenegraph.net for ongoing
> experimentation, so things like Tracs could be experimented with there.
> First instance will be using openscenegraph.net for the new server, then
> move the openscenengraph.org domain across last.

That is a prudent thing to do, IMHO. Ideally, the new server will be up
and running and when everything is ready, you just change the DNS
records. After few days, if everything is going smooth, you just shut
down the old machine and everything is migrated over.

There is one potential problem with this  - current the mailing list goes under the openscenegraph.net domain.  I think its possible to use cvs using openscenegraph.net right now as it just points to same server.  So perhaps we should duplicate the wiki website, mailman then transfer the openscenegraph.net domain.

I'm fumbling my way through this stuff though, once we got a rough plan together I'm happy to defer to others for detailed planning of the transfer to those who will be getting their hands dirty on the server.

Look like we now have enough expertise between us to consider the move quite soon.  Nothing can happen till I go an open an account with a new hosting organisation...

We've had several good reports of dreamhosting now.  Would they support things like our present wiki and the possibility of moving to tracks.

I guess we need to itemise exactly what facilities we need.

Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 14, 2006, 2:57:48 PM11/14/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Jose L. Hidalgo

Nov 14, 2006, 5:14:54 PM11/14/06
to osg-crew
Hi Robert,
Dreamhost for osg? but what kind of plan? I have a "crazy domain
plan" which works pretty well, I have to say that dreamhost is formed
by really good people (the support is really good) and they are really
really geek people (in the good way) and its very funny.... but It
isn't too slow? I suppose it depends on the plan, but... in my opinion
is too slow for such a big project.

For example there is no Trac support, maybe it will in the future, is
possible to install it (I've done it) but as you need to run your our
version of python, sqlite, svnwrappers for python, etc... its SLOW...
Another issue is that, supposing you don't contract a dedicated server,
you can create mailing list but not access directly so there is no way
to import the old mailman's mails.

Jose L.

Robert Osfield

Nov 15, 2006, 7:56:52 AM11/15/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

On 11/14/06, Jose L. Hidalgo <joseLuis...@gmail.com> wrote:
bert,
   Dreamhost for osg?

Possibly.

but what kind of plan? I have a "crazy domain
plan" which works pretty well, I have to say that dreamhost is formed
by really good people (the support is really good) and they are really
really geek people (in the good way) and its very funny.... but It
isn't too slow? I suppose it depends on the plan, but... in my opinion
is too slow for such a big project.

You positive feedback is mostly encouraging.  Could you explain what you mena by too slow.  Do you mean the server or the max bandwidth?

For example there is no Trac support, maybe it will in the future, is
possible to install it (I've done it) but as you need to run your our
version of python, sqlite, svnwrappers for python, etc... its SLOW...

What is the cause of the speed problem?  Simply that one server itself is hosting too many different sits?

Another issue is that, supposing you don't contract a dedicated server,
you can create mailing list but not access directly so there is no way
to import the old mailman's mails.

I wonder if we be possible for dreamhost engineers to do the import of the old mailman mails for us.

Robert.

Mathieu

Nov 15, 2006, 8:11:41 AM11/15/06
to osg-crew
Hi all,

Just joined this list and would like say that I've read many good
reports on www.hosted-projects.com (german company), they are
commercial but not so expensive and offer also migration services.
Anyone tested their offer ?

--Mathieu

Chris Hanson

Nov 15, 2006, 1:05:32 PM11/15/06
to osg-crew

> > Dreamhost for osg?Possibly.

> > Another issue is that, supposing you don't contract a dedicated server,
> > you can create mailing list but not access directly so there is no way

> > to import the old mailman's mails.I wonder if we be possible for dreamhost engineers to do the import of the

> old mailman mails for us.

I think Dreamhost could be used for the website portion, but could
not be used for the mailman duties, or CVS/SVN. DH does offer dedicated
servers, but I don' think it's cost-effective. I would also worry a
little bit about having the web server and the mail/CVS-SVN server be
different machines, since sometimes they need to interact with each
other and this can be more difficult when they are separate. I don't
believe DH will import an existing mailman setup, and I'm not sure
you'd want them to try.

I run my main website on DH and I don't have any speed problems. I
think I have run PmWiki on it at one point too, but I don't now.

I'm not sure what would be the cause of your slow experience with DH.

Robert, how much $ does OSG (you) contribute to Don's HE.net server
right now? This gives us a target budget.

> Robert.

Gordon Tomlinson

Nov 15, 2006, 1:12:58 PM11/15/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Dream host would certainly work for Web, FTP, Forums and Wiki's

DH does support mailman whats the issue( I'm a dunce when it comes to mail main )

Also it does support CVS/SVN ( issue ???)

Just wondering what the issues are, obviously OSG will go to what works for it,

G.
--
Email         : gor...@gordon-tomlinson.com
YIM/AIM       : Gordon3dBrit

"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks
but is a function of how quickly and intensely one
can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Eric Sokolowsky

Nov 15, 2006, 4:37:11 PM11/15/06
to osg-crew
Jan Ciger wrote:
> I think that he is right - I have forgotten about the database because
> we are using sqlite and not something like MySQL. So, strictly speaking,
> you do need a database, but not a database server :) On the other hand,
> I have no clue how well sqlite will scale for many users :(

We use sqlite on the backend of a service we provide on our website at
work (http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov) that receives about 30,000 hits per day
and it has performed very well. Surely sqlite can handle the load svn
would place on it. Plus, installing and administering sqlite is so very
easy. I'm sure it can handle the task.

Chris Hanson

Nov 16, 2006, 1:29:11 PM11/16/06
to osg-crew
On Nov 15, 11:12 am, "Gordon Tomlinson" <gordon.tomlin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dream host would certainly work for Web, FTP, Forums and Wiki's
> DH does support mailman whats the issue( I'm a dunce when it comes to mail
> main )

I was concerned about importing the existing mailman data into their
mailman system. It's a shared mail server, so they won't give you
complete access to it, and yo'd need rather extensive access to import
that data.

> Also it does support CVS/SVN ( issue ???)

I didn't think that was the case, but I was mistaken. DH does offer
CVS/SVN.

Dreamhost also does offer good MySQL via a shared server.