Trial migration of wiki and svn

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 6:40:29 AM11/20/06
to osg-crew, Jose Luis Hidalgo
Hi All,

Through last week Jose Luis Hidalgo has been working on doing a trial
migration to DreamHost by setting up access to his own DH account.
The wiki can be found at:

http://osg.codemaniacs.com/

With the subversion repository sitting below this in the osg/ directory:

http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg

You'll need to use the user name "guest" and password "guest" to
browse/checout the directories with read access.

I have been learning a bit about svn, but still am very much a novice.
So far everything I've wanted to do I've been able to track down how
to do it. The OpenSceneGraph project trunk checked in with the
deprecated directories still in place, so I've pruned these, and yes
svn makes this more straightforward than cvs :-)

To checkout the triple set you'd use something like:

svn checkout http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg/OpenThreads/trunk OpenThreads
svn checkout http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg/Producer/trunk Producer
svn checkout http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg/OpenSceneGraph/trunk
OpenSceneGraph

Now one little caveat is that the Producer cvs snapshot I gave Jose to
import was one that had compile problems in it, but since the import
included all the tags we can just check that out instead of the
Producer trunk:

svn checkout http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg/Producer/tags/Producer_OpenSceneGraph_BranchPoint/
Producer

Feel free to experiment, provide feedback.

Many thanks to Jose for setting this up,
Robert.

Jose Luis Hidalgo

Nov 20, 2006, 7:08:20 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Wiki seems to work, but there are some functions that are not working :
- change a wiki page
- delete content
- search content using wiki engine
- maybe sessions (but if you are not changing anything or
deleting, they don't apply)

I suspect that is a problem with php version ( the servers works with
php 5 and maybe the addons to pmwiki were done in php 4) I will try to
look at it and see what can be done.

Other problem with the current pmwiki is it can not be directly
updated to the last pmpwiki because the syntax of the wiki pages have
changed between versions. So, If we feel like we need to upgrade the
wiki, the effort of migrate content from the old wiki to the new one
will be the same, no matter if is an upgrade of pmwiki or a completely
different wiki.

IMHO we need to change the wiki... keep the "old" running for
historical reasons until everything is checked into the new wiki. That
is something to discuss here because is the community who has to do
the effort of migrate contents.

My very reasons to change:
- osg needs a new wiki (*avoid html-frames*, give a new and
polished look, ...)
- we can let the other wiki be read-only --> that means I don't
need change wiki code
- if we setup Trac, good integration with subversion
- less changes to the current wiki code ( I repeat this because it
causes me headache XDDD)
- make the current wiki work costs as much (in fact, much more)
as setup a new wiki.

Cons:
- we need to make the effort of migrate contents...
- one more thing to worry about... but I think community can handle this.

Cheers,
Jose L.

--
Jose L. Hidalgo Valiño (PpluX)
---- http://www.pplux.com ----

Shue, John

Nov 20, 2006, 8:09:01 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
While performing a svn checkout of the Producer trunk on my Windows box,
I get the following error:

Error: Failed to add directory
'C:\working\svn-OSG\Producer\VC++6.0\producer': object of the same name
already exists

Looking at the repository, I see that there are 2 directories that are
different only by the capitalization of the first letter. Also the
problem "producer" directory is empty. Is this an old directory that
needs to be pruned?

If I check out the Producer_OpenSceneGraph_BranchPoint tag, everything
works great.

OpenThreads and OpenSceneGraph trunks checkout without problem on
Windows.

I'll continue to play around with the Subversion.

-john

Hi All,

http://osg.codemaniacs.com/

http://osg.codemaniacs.com/osg

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain company proprietary and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

Shue, John

Nov 20, 2006, 8:10:50 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
I might have spoken too soon about OpenSceneGraph trunk, I got an error
but I'm not sure if it is something bad that happened locally:

Error: In directory
'C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph'
Error: Can't move source to dest
Error: Can't move
'C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\.svn\tmp\prop-ba
se\osgviewer-Info.plist.svn-base' to
'C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\.svn\prop-base\o
sgviewer-Info.plist.svn-base': The system cannot find the file
Error: specified.

I'll look into it more and report back.

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 8:29:46 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On 11/20/06, Shue, John <John...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:
> While performing a svn checkout of the Producer trunk on my Windows box,
> I get the following error:
>
> Error: Failed to add directory
> 'C:\working\svn-OSG\Producer\VC++6.0\producer': object of the same name
> already exists
>
> Looking at the repository, I see that there are 2 directories that are
> different only by the capitalization of the first letter. Also the
> problem "producer" directory is empty. Is this an old directory that
> needs to be pruned?

It looks to be the same problem as came across with OpenSceneGraph,
with the old directories that a pruned with -Pd under cvs need
manually pruning from svn. This is an import issue rather than an svn
issue.

Robert.

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 8:31:07 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

What is the source of this errors? The Xcode files themselves are not
relevant for windows.

Robert.

Shue, John

Nov 20, 2006, 10:10:48 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Could be a hard drive snafoo, I've seen similar errors with CVS on
windows where when checking out, the software uses a temporary file
until the entire file is received, and then moves/copies the file into
its proper place. This last step sometimes causes problems when the
Windows box is under heavy load.

I'll retry the checkout when I have a spare moment.

-john

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 11:23:50 AM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

On 11/20/06, Jose Luis Hidalgo <joseluis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wiki seems to work, but there are some functions that are not working :
> - change a wiki page
> - delete content
> - search content using wiki engine
> - maybe sessions (but if you are not changing anything or
> deleting, they don't apply)
>
> I suspect that is a problem with php version ( the servers works with
> php 5 and maybe the addons to pmwiki were done in php 4) I will try to
> look at it and see what can be done.
>
> Other problem with the current pmwiki is it can not be directly
> updated to the last pmpwiki because the syntax of the wiki pages have
> changed between versions.

Rainer Oder is the author of the curent PmWiki setup so hopefully
he'll be able help out smooth over such issues.

> So, If we feel like we need to upgrade the
> wiki, the effort of migrate content from the old wiki to the new one
> will be the same, no matter if is an upgrade of pmwiki or a completely
> different wiki.

Migration between PmWiki versions is less likely to hit syntax issues
than moving to a completely new wiki. I would hope that the PmWiki
authors have thought about this, and if there are differences will be
minor or to provide migration paths.

> IMHO we need to change the wiki... keep the "old" running for
> historical reasons until everything is checked into the new wiki. That
> is something to discuss here because is the community who has to do
> the effort of migrate contents.
>
> My very reasons to change:
> - osg needs a new wiki (*avoid html-frames*, give a new and
> polished look, ...)
> - we can let the other wiki be read-only --> that means I don't
> need change wiki code
> - if we setup Trac, good integration with subversion
> - less changes to the current wiki code ( I repeat this because it
> causes me headache XDDD)
> - make the current wiki work costs as much (in fact, much more)
> as setup a new wiki.
>
> Cons:
> - we need to make the effort of migrate contents...
> - one more thing to worry about... but I think community can handle this.

While I'm open to have a new wiki and new look for the website. In
fact I believe we do need a new look and layout of the website.

While some of the community might be ready, willing and able to help
with migration to a new wiki right now then great, but its better to
be patient for a time when the core developers themselves are fully
bought on board and ready.

I for one am totally overloaded by my current set of tasks in front of
me, I absolutely can't take on any more new stuff. Migrating to a new
wiki would way too much too quickly, and would put me into very
serious danger of burnout and for many tasks to start suffering.
Right now I need less to worry about not more.

Give things a couple of months to start getting back on an even keel,
then we start getting more ambitious.

Robert.

Shue, John

Nov 20, 2006, 12:06:23 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Tried the checkout of OpenSceneGraph trunk on another box and got the
same error. After looking into it further, it is another problem
related to Windows' lack of support for case-sensitive filenames. There
are 2 files in the Xcode directories with the same spelling and
different capitalization:

Added:
C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\osgViewer-Info.pl
ist
Added:
C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\osgviewer-Info.pl
ist

Anyone know if there is an easy way to go through a SVN repository
looking for filenames that only differ by case?

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 12:19:15 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On 11/20/06, Shue, John <John...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:

> Tried the checkout of OpenSceneGraph trunk on another box and got the
> same error. After looking into it further, it is another problem
> related to Windows' lack of support for case-sensitive filenames. There
> are 2 files in the Xcode directories with the same spelling and
> different capitalization:
>
> Added:
> C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\osgViewer-Info.pl
> ist
> Added:
> C:\working\svn-OSG\OpenSceneGraph\Xcode\OpenSceneGraph\osgviewer-Info.pl
> ist
>
> Anyone know if there is an easy way to go through a SVN repository
> looking for filenames that only differ by case?

Curious, the files both exist in the CVS version of the OSG, one if
for the osgViewer library and the other for the osgviewer application,
so they are both valid.

This makes me wonder if the CVS version of the OSG also has this
problem, or whether the CVS client is doing something to walk around
this conflict.

One way to solve this would be to rename osgviewer-Info.plist to
osgviewer-application-Info.plist. However, this will break the OSX
build without other amendments to the Xcode projects as they are real
tangled web of dependencies.

Robert.

Rainer Oder

Nov 20, 2006, 2:53:55 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

>     Wiki seems to work, but there are some functions that are not working :
>      - change a wiki page
>      - delete content
>      - search content using wiki engine
>      - maybe sessions (but if you are not changing anything or
> deleting, they don't apply)
>
> I suspect that is a problem with php version ( the servers works with
> php 5 and maybe the addons to pmwiki were done in php 4) I will try to
> look at it and see what can be done.
>
> Other problem with the current pmwiki is it can not be directly
> updated to the last pmpwiki because the syntax of the wiki pages have
> changed between versions.

Rainer Oder is the author of the curent PmWiki setup so hopefully
he'll be able help out smooth over such issues.
I had issues porting pmwiki to another server due to set directory and file right, so please check that.
W.r.t. the php version, this can't be an issue. PHP pretty much works solid between 4 and 5, except the support for OO-code.

> So, If we feel like we need to upgrade the
> wiki, the effort of migrate content from the old wiki to the new one
> will be the same, no matter if is an upgrade of pmwiki or a completely
> different wiki.

Migration between PmWiki versions is less likely to hit syntax issues
than moving to a completely new wiki.  I would hope that the PmWiki
authors have thought about this, and if there are differences will be
minor or to provide migration paths.
I don't think that the version of pmwiki are working together smoothly.
Actually, I don't see why one would update the wiki version. What was the idea behind that?
Porting the current wiki is a matter of configuration, while porting it to a later version is much more of a task.

I 100% with you. When I posted the question to the OSG-MailingList a couple of months ago, if we should update to a later version, I didn't get any answer. So updating the website should get a push_back and run after the more important ones are done.

I'm happy to support everybody who tries to port the wiki to another server. Maybe one could provide a temporary ssh login.

Cheers,
Rainer

Jan Ciger

Nov 20, 2006, 5:25:59 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Osfield

Nov 20, 2006, 6:07:04 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/20/06, Jan Ciger <jan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, CVS will silently replace one file with the other on Windows. On
> Unix (or other case sensitive system) you will get two files, on Windows
> just the one checked out later. It is a big mess :(
>
> Subversion will protest if there is an existing file with the same filename.

Thanks for the explanation. So we need to rename the Xcode project in
CVS. I'll ping Eric with this info.

Robert.

Shue, John

Nov 20, 2006, 10:52:50 PM11/20/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
BTW, what is the procedure to manually prune the directories in SVN
after the initial cvs2svn import? I am contemplating doing a CVS -> SVN
move here at work and I know in the past we had some issues with case
sensitive filenames.

-john

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain company proprietary and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

Robert Osfield

Nov 21, 2006, 3:53:06 AM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On 11/21/06, Shue, John <John...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:

> BTW, what is the procedure to manually prune the directories in SVN
> after the initial cvs2svn import? I am contemplating doing a CVS -> SVN
> move here at work and I know in the past we had some issues with case
> sensitive filenames.

svn delete/copy/move is probably what you are looking for.

Robert.

Jose L. Hidalgo

Nov 21, 2006, 4:15:41 AM11/21/06
to osg-crew
Hi John,

On Nov 21, 4:52 am, "Shue, John" <John.S...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:
> BTW, what is the procedure to manually prune the directories in SVN
> after the initial cvs2svn import? I am contemplating doing a CVS -> SVN
> move here at work and I know in the past we had some issues with case
> sensitive filenames.
>
> -john

There is an option of cvs2svn to prune empty directories, in fact it
should
prune them by default because the option is "--no-prune --> don't prune
empty directories".

With the CVS -> SVN migration we test the other day we use a config
file and I missed this
option:
ctx.prune = False

Sorry!!! For the final version I will try not forget to set it to True
to prune them.

(May I make another test? could I remove the current subversion and try
import the latests cvs
repository but pruning the empty dirs?)

Jose L.

Robert Osfield

Nov 21, 2006, 4:21:22 AM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

On 11/21/06, Jose L. Hidalgo <joseLuis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is an option of cvs2svn to prune empty directories, in fact it
> should
> prune them by default because the option is "--no-prune --> don't prune
> empty directories".
>
> With the CVS -> SVN migration we test the other day we use a config
> file and I missed this
> option:
> ctx.prune = False
>
> Sorry!!! For the final version I will try not forget to set it to True
> to prune them.

This is a pretty minor little hiccup, I consider the current svn a
darn good first attempt :)

> (May I make another test? could I remove the current subversion and try
> import the latests cvs
> repository but pruning the empty dirs?)

It'd be worth doing another trial. I think it'd be worth renaming all
the colliding names in the CVS version and then doing the new import.

Is it just the Xcode osgviewer files that are the colliding? Given
that the Producer/produce one will be pruned out anyway?

Robert.

Jose L. Hidalgo

Nov 21, 2006, 5:23:54 AM11/21/06
to osg-crew
Hi Robert,

On Nov 21, 10:21 am, "Robert Osfield" <robert.osfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>It'd be worth doing another trial. I think it'd be worth renaming all
> the colliding names in the CVS version and then doing the new import.
>
> Is it just the Xcode osgviewer files that are the colliding? Given
> that the Producer/produce one will be pruned out anyway?

I'm actually making another dump, here in the "new" server, it's almost
complete
in fact (in DH it took 45 min to complete the dump, here only takes 5)
I'm using the
same snapshots from
http://openscenegraph.org/downloads/Server-snapshots.

I suppose the effect of pruning in the dump will be the same as the -Pd
option
for CVS which is the desired effect.

The **NEW** subversion repository to test with is :
https://www.okode.com/osg/svn/
This new version has the prune directive set to "True"...

Cheers,
Jose L.

PD: This new subversion repository is in a server of my University. I
will try to set up the wiki too, That will be useful to test speed and
compare with DH.

Robert Osfield

Nov 21, 2006, 6:30:50 AM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

On 11/21/06, Jose L. Hidalgo <joseLuis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm actually making another dump, here in the "new" server, it's almost
> complete
> in fact (in DH it took 45 min to complete the dump, here only takes 5)
> I'm using the
> same snapshots from
> http://openscenegraph.org/downloads/Server-snapshots.
>
> I suppose the effect of pruning in the dump will be the same as the -Pd
> option
> for CVS which is the desired effect.
>
> The **NEW** subversion repository to test with is :
> https://www.okode.com/osg/svn/
> This new version has the prune directive set to "True"...

Just had a look at the trunk doesn't seem to contain the pruned
directories so a thumbs up so far.

> PD: This new subversion repository is in a server of my University. I
> will try to set up the wiki too, That will be useful to test speed and
> compare with DH.

Is this server local your lab? Will it be the final candidate for a server?

Robert.

Jose L. Hidalgo

Nov 21, 2006, 6:58:00 AM11/21/06
to osg-crew
Hi Robert,

> Is this server local your lab? Will it be the final candidate for a server?

This will be the final candidate server (at first), it is in a special
room inside the institute with other servers. Currently we are trying
to move it to the university Data center or even buy a better one if
finally you decide to be hosted by UPV. The specifications of the
server are:
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz HT and 2Gb of RAM
- RAID with 2 hard drives (200GB) in mirror, with SMART.
- 1 gigabit ethernet
- Ubuntu Dapper, Apache 2.0, PHP 5.0, Trac, Tracking Mantis, Tomcat
5.5 / J2EE 1.4, PostgreSQL 8 + MySQL 5, dotProject 2.0.2, Subversion
1.4, Samba, ProFTPD, Continuum, Gcc, java

I really feel they are enough, and no other big projects are hosted in
that server.

Jose L.

Shue, John

Nov 21, 2006, 9:35:19 AM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
I wrote a simple python script to check for filename collisions on the
latest CVS code from OpenThreads, Producer, and OpenSceneGraph and only
found the Xcode osgViewer-Info.plist osgviewer-Info.plist match.

-john

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain company proprietary and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

Robert Osfield

Nov 21, 2006, 9:42:53 AM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On 11/21/06, Shue, John <John...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:

> I wrote a simple python script to check for filename collisions on the
> latest CVS code from OpenThreads, Producer, and OpenSceneGraph and only
> found the Xcode osgViewer-Info.plist osgviewer-Info.plist match.

Thanks, I have just renamed osgviewer-Info.plist to
osgviewerApplication-Info.plist and changed the file external project
references to the file. This is now checked into OSG CVS.

Fingers crossed this won't break the OSX build...

Robert.

Shue, John

Nov 21, 2006, 11:24:40 PM11/21/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Jose, Robert,

Is it possible to regenerate a new SVN repository with the recently
renamed Xcode filename that was interfering with the SVN checkout on
Windows?

In order to do that, I imagine Robert will have to create a new
snapshot...

-john

Sure! only need Robert to create new (and updated) snapshots, and
2 very little scripts will do the rest.

Jose L.

On 11/22/06, Shue, John <John...@mantech-ist.com> wrote:

> Jose, Robert,
>
> Is it possible to regenerate a new SVN repository with the recently
> renamed Xcode filename that was interfering with the SVN checkout on
> Windows?
>
> In order to do that, I imagine Robert will have to create a new
> snapshot...
>
> -john

Robert Osfield

Nov 22, 2006, 3:46:03 AM11/22/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
On 11/22/06, Jose Luis Hidalgo <joseluis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
> Sure! only need Robert to create new (and updated) snapshots, and
> 2 very little scripts will do the rest.

I'll make a snapshot this morning.

Robert.

Robert Osfield

Nov 22, 2006, 8:44:26 AM11/22/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
I have just done the snapshot of OpenThreads, Producer and
OpenSceneGraph cvs repositories, you can can grab them from:

http://openscenegraph.org/downloads/Server-snapshots/

Note the wiki snapshot hasn't been updated.

Jose Luis Hidalgo

Nov 22, 2006, 1:23:50 PM11/22/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I've updated the svn with the latest cvs snapshots, you can find
the repository at https://pacman.ai2.upv.es/osg/svn/ (guest:guest)

Cheers,
Jose L.

On 11/22/06, Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just done the snapshot of OpenThreads, Producer and
> OpenSceneGraph cvs repositories, you can can grab them from:
>
> http://openscenegraph.org/downloads/Server-snapshots/

Robert Osfield

Nov 22, 2006, 4:23:58 PM11/22/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
HI Jose,

On 11/22/06, Jose Luis Hidalgo <joseluis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've updated the svn with the latest cvs snapshots, you can find
> the repository at https://pacman.ai2.upv.es/osg/svn/ (guest:guest)

I have run out of day and still haven't had an opportunity to test out
the new imports.

Tomorrow I'll check them out. If everything compiles file I guess
it'd be time to start telling osg-users about it to test it out fully.

Cheers,
Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 22, 2006, 6:24:17 PM11/22/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Shue, John

Nov 23, 2006, 12:42:21 AM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
I was able to successfully check out all three projects (OpenThreads,
Producer, and OpenSceneGraph) on my Windows box from the SVN server.
Previous problems with case-sensitive filenames is gone.

I'm currently compiling on VS 2003. Looking good so far, OpenThreads and
Producer compiled successfully.

-john

Nov 23, 2006, 3:48:04 AM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/22/06, Jan Ciger <jan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything checked out and built OK, apart of the version of Producer in
> the repo which barfed because I didn't have DWMake. Once I checked it
> out using the instructions, it wasn't obvious how to build it with it,
> so I have used my older copy instead.

I thought Don had decided to embed DWMake into Producer.

Robert.

Robert Osfield

Nov 23, 2006, 4:33:04 AM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/23/06, Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought Don had decided to embed DWMake into Producer.

I have just checked out the svn Producer and found that DWMake does
look to be integrated into Producer, but it still requies the DWMAKE
env var to be set to locate the local Make directory.

export DWMAKE=/home/me/Test/Producer/Make

Should do the trick. I would have thought Don will be able to resolve
this glitch.

Robert.

Robert Osfield

Nov 23, 2006, 5:22:00 AM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
On 11/23/06, Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just checked out the svn Producer and found that DWMake does
> look to be integrated into Producer, but it still requies the DWMAKE
> env var to be set to locate the local Make directory.
>
> export DWMAKE=/home/me/Test/Producer/Make

I tried the above, but then couldn't get Producer to compile to
problems with linux 64 bit build, clearly the embedded DWMake isn't
quite a stable across platforms as the seperate distribution of DWMake
that I have installed so I've reverted to the later.

Moving on then I found that osgconv wouldn't compile due to
osgProducer not having a Xmu function, to fix this I had to add
${X_LIBS} to the GNUmakefile link line in osgProducer. I don't know
why this is suddenly needed, the core OSG hasn't changed, I can only
guess that Producer/DWMake build changes are having a knock on effect.

Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 23, 2006, 2:02:41 PM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Jan Ciger

Nov 23, 2006, 2:04:53 PM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Osfield

Nov 23, 2006, 3:57:43 PM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/23/06, Jan Ciger <jan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most likely the Xmu was removed from linking in Producer as unneeded and
> now the linking fails in osgProducer.
>
> Adding it there is better, IMHO - why pollute Producer with libraries it
> doesn't need.

osgProducer doesn't use Xmu either. The only X in osgProducer comes
from Producer, and in theory Producer should be hiding this.

Producer is designed to hide the implementation details, so
osgProducer shouldn't need these to know how Producer wasn't
implemented nor what extra libs are required by it, but arn't linked
in directly.

Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 23, 2006, 4:43:02 PM11/23/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Osfield

Nov 24, 2006, 3:45:40 AM11/24/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 11/23/06, Jan Ciger <jan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, then this should be reported to Don - I know that he was cleaning
> up some of the linking recently and perhaps he removed what he shouldn't
> and the problem was hidden for him since he linked it elsewhere. It
> seems that the current state of the build of Producer is really a mess :(

Personally I'm burnout from trying to engage with Don, others are
welcome to step in a help sort of the build issues.

I believe others are already testing and providing feedback to Don and
things are improved over the last week, but it clearly isn't yet on
par with how things were before going with DWMake so more work needs
to be done.

We always have the tag to fall back on in the meantime.

Robert.

mynam...@hotmail.com

Nov 28, 2006, 2:32:09 PM11/28/06
to osg-crew
I really like subversion. However, I found that it is a lot slower
syncing(checking out) files. Anybody else witness this?

Robert Osfield

Nov 28, 2006, 4:30:20 PM11/28/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zach,

On 11/28/06, z...@faac.com <mynam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I really like subversion. However, I found that it is a lot slower
> syncing(checking out) files. Anybody else witness this?

I haven't timed things yet, but a clean check out is a bit slow. cvs
has a compressed checkout option that certainly helps things along, I
haven't spotted anything similar with svn yet though, perhaps I've
just missed it.

Robert.

Jan Ciger

Nov 28, 2006, 4:45:07 PM11/28/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Jose Luis Hidalgo

Nov 29, 2006, 4:01:15 AM11/29/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On 11/28/06, Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't timed things yet, but a clean check out is a bit slow.  cvs
has a compressed checkout option that certainly helps things along, I
haven't spotted anything similar with svn yet though, perhaps I've
just missed it.

That's true, the initial check out is about twice slower than CVS... But I'm confident about the  algorithm used for updating makes SVN faster than CVS in normal use. Anyway if we compare the time an user spends downloading/updating code with the time he/she spends compiling that code... this feels like a very minor problem. :)

I really still think subversion is much better than CVS, despite it isn't perfect.

Cheers,
    Jose L.

Robert Osfield

Nov 29, 2006, 4:24:32 AM11/29/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

On 11/29/06, Jose Luis Hidalgo <joseluis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's true, the initial check out is about twice slower than CVS... But I'm
> confident about the algorithm used for updating makes SVN faster than CVS
> in normal use. Anyway if we compare the time an user spends
> downloading/updating code with the time he/she spends compiling that code...
> this feels like a very minor problem. :)

From what I've gathered Subversion only sends changes to files rather
than whole files, so incremental updates will be faster.

> I really still think subversion is much better than CVS, despite it isn't
> perfect.

Well I'm not for turning back the clock, Subversion definitely has my
vote. Once we actually do a release then we'll find out just how good
it is, but so far its done just fine.

Robert.

Shue, John

Nov 29, 2006, 8:52:22 AM11/29/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
I just tried to do a svn update from what I thought was the latest SVN
server information posted to this list. I'm getting the following
error:

Error: PROPFIND request failed on '/osg/svn/OpenThreads/trunk'
Error: PROPFIND of '/osg/svn/OpenThreads/trunk': 405 Method Not Allowed
(https://pacman.ai2.upv.es)

Is pacman.ai2.upv.es still the latest SVN we're supposed to be testing
with?

-john

Paul Martz

Dec 1, 2006, 3:35:00 PM12/1/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I've not been active on this thread. I've been busy with other tasks.
Finally catching up.

Can someone fill me in on some background here? Why is there a copy of
Producer under SVN? Why wouldn't Producer users simply go to the normal
Producer home for this, like they do for libTIFF, gdal, etc?

Similarly, why is OpenThreads moving under SVN?

Confused,
-Paul

Robert Osfield

Dec 1, 2006, 4:46:50 PM12/1/06
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
HI Paul,

On 12/1/06, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:
> Sorry I've not been active on this thread. I've been busy with other tasks.
> Finally catching up.
>
> Can someone fill me in on some background here? Why is there a copy of
> Producer under SVN? Why wouldn't Producer users simply go to the normal
> Producer home for this, like they do for libTIFF, gdal, etc?
>
> Similarly, why is OpenThreads moving under SVN?

Producer and OpenThreads have been imported to test the tripleset.

I have exchanged emails with Sean Spicer and he is keen to see us host
OpenThreads on the new server, and to do so under svn. I also raised
the question of project leadership as Sean has been way too busy to
engage much of last few years, and Sean is happy to see another
volunteer from the OpenThreads/OpenSceneGraph community step up and
take the reigns. This another topic that deserves discussing in a
separate thread, something for next week perhaps.

I don't know what Don would like to do with Producer, I presume he'll
want to host it himself, and whether he'll migrate to svn is down to
him. As far as I can tell these days its easy to set up and import.

From my own perspective I would like to see a family of OpenSceneGraph
related projects that all use the same version control, build systems
etc. User coming to the OSG then would at least get a feel for
coherency between them, and not have to go through learning different
version control systems, build systems etc.

I have the idea in my head to have an idea of the "Family and the
Forge" where a set of closely related projects make up a family of
OpenSceneGraph projects, while the Forge is where members of the
family are incubated, or slightly less core family members live (i..e
cousins etc). Members of the family would need to have stricter
adherence to a common template of how the project is put together, and
the central role it plays for OpenSceneGraph users.

Robert.