svn:author

Joakim Simonsson

Feb 26, 2007, 5:11:29 PM2/26/07
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have made a python script that parses all log messages in the osg repo.
It finds all contributor names in the log messages ("From NAME, ...") and
changes the svn:author property to the contributor name. It is intended to
run only once. And for future commits a hook script will change the author
automatically based on the log message.

But I ran into some problems:

1. Not all log messages are formatted like "From NAME,"
Some are
"From NAME :"
"From NAME\n"
"From NAME."

2. What to do with multiple authors?
Example:
Revision 5073: Joran Jessurun and Chris Hanson
Revision 3033: Ulrich Hertlein & Iskander Prins

Problem 1 could be solved by doing exceptions on the specific revisions
that have other formatting than "From NAME,"

But for problem 2, I don't know what to do. Who should get the credits?
Only one author can be set with the svn:author...

--
/
/

Robert Osfield

Feb 27, 2007, 8:50:39 AM2/27/07
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joakim,

I have done a bit of my own parsing of submission messages in the past
to generate the AUTHORS file, with the code for this in
applications/osgversion.cpp.

I end up with losts of hacks to avoid false detection, and to add in
missing attributes - the early CVS submissions didn't include from,
and Don didn't start doing it until much later than I did too. For
the last few years pretty well everything should be be submitted in
the from From Name, except for typos. The other thing about typo's is
sometimes I have made mistakes in the submitters name so one person
will have multiple variants, and this include with/without surname.

It would be good to be able to generate the AUTHORS file without
needing to keep osgversion.cpp in sync. Python would certainly be a
lot more appropriate than C++ for doing such parsing.

W.r.t using this parsing to adjust the svn:authors, this is possible,
but not a priority for me right now, its not going to break the build
or add any functionality. I have a huge number of pressing tasks that
will get need to done before I can iddle away with other stuff.

Robert.

Joakim Simonsson

Feb 27, 2007, 9:23:28 AM2/27/07
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert,

I understand that you are under great pressure right now. But if you want,
I would like to help you on this one.

In fact, as I mentioned, I already have made one script.

If you could send me a packed version of the repostory, I could do some
more scripting.

When everything works and is tested I will come back to you.

What do you think?

--
Joakim Simonsson

Robert Osfield

Feb 27, 2007, 12:03:36 PM2/27/07
to osg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joakim,

On 2/27/07, Joakim Simonsson <joa...@joakims.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I understand that you are under great pressure right now. But if you want,
> I would like to help you on this one.
>
> In fact, as I mentioned, I already have made one script.
>
> If you could send me a packed version of the repostory, I could do some
> more scripting.
>
> When everything works and is tested I will come back to you.
>
> What do you think?

Items that help me out are things testing out SVN on various
platforms, and testing out with CMake build, getting the wiki website
up to scratch.

Author attribution within SVN is not critical to me or the community
as we can always do this later, all the info is retained in the
submission messages. If you wish to spend you time on it then its
your free time, working out how to pack up the repostory and writing
this email and just a distraction for me from the dozens of really
important things.

Robert.

Joakim Simonsson

Feb 27, 2007, 12:15:56 PM2/27/07
to osg-...@googlegroups.com

Ok, no problem.

I understand the situation. I just wanted to ask.