Status January 2012

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Nikolay Georgiev

unread,
Jan 4, 2012, 8:10:14 PM1/4/12
to ose-micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

what is the current status of the Microfunding development?

Adam, could you work on it?

Wish you all a good start in 2012!

Nikolay

DJ Phéna Proxima

unread,
Jan 4, 2012, 8:37:35 PM1/4/12
to ose-micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikolay,

What I was thinking of doing was taking on a page that hasn't been done yet (I know there's at least one - can't remember which one(s) though) and implementing it as a self-contained module. I figure this will give us a lot of flexibility in terms of functionality, should we want to add/remove any later in the process. Also, if we get a lot of True Fans, the sheer number of nodes generated by that might become unmanageable. What do you think?

At least, now that the holidays are over, I can really buckle down on this.

-Adam
--
http://www.technomademestupid.com

"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler’s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski

Nikolay Georgiev

unread,
Jan 4, 2012, 8:53:35 PM1/4/12
to ose-micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I don't understand the "self-contained modules". Can you explain more, possibly with examples?
Why the number of nodes would be unmanageable?

Thanks,
Nikolay
"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler�s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski


-- 
Nikolay Georgiev
Open Source Ecology Supporter

Website: http://www.nikolay-georgiev.net/blog/
Skype: nikolay.h.georgiev
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nikolayhg
Address: Darmstadt, Germany

DJ Phéna Proxima

unread,
Jan 18, 2012, 9:22:14 PM1/18/12
to ose-micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikolay,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Work came down on me like a ton of bricks.

A module is a bunch of custom-written Drupal functionality, written in PHP, that acts as a single package. It gives us the most amount of control over every layer of the site's functions - especially data storage and front-end display, etc. Nodes are very flexible, but the maximum amount of flexibility and portability will be had by writing custom module.

By the same token, if we use a module, we'll be able to make changes more easily in the future. Modules also allow us to completely separate our code from the displayed content, which is both good practice and more secure.

By contrast, if we keep everything as nodes and then if we want to change something across all nodes of a certain type (or of all types), we'll have to retroactively go and make the change in each individual node. Plus, there is a certain amount of database overhead involved in storing nodes - if we use modules, we only store relevant data, with no overhead at all. Among other things, it can make various reporting-type things easier, and allow us to gather metrics without having to negotiate our way through the various mechanisms used to store data in nodes. At the very least, we may get a performance boost out of it at the the database level.

The truth is, nodes are intended to store individual pieces of content. I think that what we're looking at here is more of an application, where we want to store bits of data and then display/manipulate them in various ways. That's why I think a module is the way to go. Naturally, I'm open to whatever everyone else wants to do, but I strongly suggest this methodology going forward.

Cheers,

-Adam

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Nikolay Georgiev <nikolay.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

I don't understand the "self-contained modules". Can you explain more, possibly with examples?
Why the number of nodes would be unmanageable?

Thanks,
Nikolay


On 01/05/2012 02:37 AM, DJ Phéna Proxima wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

What I was thinking of doing was taking on a page that hasn't been done yet (I know there's at least one - can't remember which one(s) though) and implementing it as a self-contained module. I figure this will give us a lot of flexibility in terms of functionality, should we want to add/remove any later in the process. Also, if we get a lot of True Fans, the sheer number of nodes generated by that might become unmanageable. What do you think?

At least, now that the holidays are over, I can really buckle down on this.

-Adam

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Nikolay Georgiev <nikolay.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

what is the current status of the Microfunding development?

Adam, could you work on it?

Wish you all a good start in 2012!

Nikolay



--
http://www.technomademestupid.com

"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler’s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski


-- 
Nikolay Georgiev
Open Source Ecology Supporter

Website: http://www.nikolay-georgiev.net/blog/
Skype: nikolay.h.georgiev
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nikolayhg
Address: Darmstadt, Germany



--
http://www.technomademestupid.com

"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler’s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski

Nikolay Georgiev

unread,
Jan 28, 2012, 5:48:55 PM1/28/12
to ose-micr...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

this sounds too much work. If there is no one to do it then we need to put the project in pause! So far we couldn't produce even the first prototype.

Alternative would be to implement the Microfunding idea on the OSE Wiki. And if more help comes then we can continue with the Drupal implementation.

Any thoughts are welcome,

Nikolay




On 01/19/2012 03:22 AM, DJ Ph�na Proxima wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Work came down on me like a ton of bricks.

A module is a bunch of custom-written Drupal functionality, written in PHP, that acts as a single package. It gives us the most amount of control over every layer of the site's functions - especially data storage and front-end display, etc. Nodes are very flexible, but the maximum amount of flexibility and portability will be had by writing custom module.

By the same token, if we use a module, we'll be able to make changes more easily in the future. Modules also allow us to completely separate our code from the displayed content, which is both good practice and more secure.

By contrast, if we keep everything as nodes and then if we want to change something across all nodes of a certain type (or of all types), we'll have to retroactively go and make the change in each individual node. Plus, there is a certain amount of database overhead involved in storing nodes - if we use modules, we only store relevant data, with no overhead at all. Among other things, it can make various reporting-type things easier, and allow us to gather metrics without having to negotiate our way through the various mechanisms used to store data in nodes. At the very least, we may get a performance boost out of it at the the database level.

The truth is, nodes are intended to store individual pieces of content. I think that what we're looking at here is more of an application, where we want to store bits of data and then display/manipulate them in various ways. That's why I think a module is the way to go. Naturally,�I'm open to whatever everyone else wants to do, but I strongly suggest this methodology going forward.

Cheers,

-Adam

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Nikolay Georgiev <nikolay.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

I don't understand the "self-contained modules". Can you explain more, possibly with examples?
Why the number of nodes would be unmanageable?

Thanks,
Nikolay


On 01/05/2012 02:37 AM, DJ Ph�na Proxima wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

What I was thinking of doing was taking on a page that hasn't been done yet (I know there's at least one - can't remember which one(s) though) and implementing it as a self-contained module. I figure this will give us a lot of flexibility in terms of functionality, should we want to add/remove any later in the process. Also, if we get a lot of True Fans, the sheer number of nodes generated by that might become unmanageable. What do you think?

At least, now that the holidays are over, I can really buckle down on this.

-Adam

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Nikolay Georgiev <nikolay.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

what is the current status of the Microfunding development?

Adam, could you work on it?

Wish you all a good start in 2012!

Nikolay



--
http://www.technomademestupid.com

"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler�s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski


-- 
Nikolay Georgiev
Open Source Ecology Supporter

Website: http://www.nikolay-georgiev.net/blog/
Skype: nikolay.h.georgiev
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nikolayhg
Address: Darmstadt, Germany



--
http://www.technomademestupid.com

"Nay! I do protest, and draw my sword; It shall teach thee to disobey my word. Mark none but none into that bowler�s frame, Else thou shalt enter into a world of pain."
--Two Gentlemen of Lebowski

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages