[lwip-users] Stable release with IPv6 support

Omer Ilany

Oct 26, 2011, 7:55:14 AM10/26/11
to lwip-...@nongnu.org
Hi,

I'm currently using version 1.4.0 in a project I'm working on and I was wondering if IPv6 support (dual stack, as in the master branch) is going to be integrated soon into future stable releases.
Can you provide any information regarding what is the next stable version supporting IPv6 and when is it expected?
Do you have any experience with that code? Was it tested against standard linux/windows stacks?

Omer

Simon Goldschmidt

Oct 26, 2011, 8:43:29 AM10/26/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Omer Ilany <OME...@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using version 1.4.0 in a project I'm working on and I was
> wondering if IPv6 support (dual stack, as in the master branch) is going
> to be integrated soon into future stable releases.
> Can you provide any information regarding what is the next stable version
> supporting IPv6 and when is it expected?

The next release will most probably be 1.4.1 - a pure bugfix release from 1.4.0. I'd expect to finish bug fixing during November, so I expect it to be released this year.

For now, we planned to release the IPv6 code (i.e. the current master code) as 1.5.0 and I'd like to get a beta out around the same time as the 1.4.1 release.

> Do you have any experience with that code? Was it tested against standard
> linux/windows stacks?

Although the code runs pretty stable in my tests, we (in our company) haven't done any IPv6 tests. Also, I don't expect too many users currently used it as it's available via git only - that's the reason I'd like to provide a beta downloadable as ZIP.

Simon

Philipp Tölke

Oct 26, 2011, 8:46:29 AM10/26/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Hi,

> Do you have any experience with that code? Was it tested against standard
> linux/windows stacks?

I am using LWIP head for a project with IPv6 and UDP only. It works as expected
and so far without any problems.

Regards,
--
Philipp Tölke

signature.asc

Philipp Tölke

Oct 26, 2011, 7:58:27 AM10/26/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Hi,

> Do you have any experience with that code? Was it tested against standard
> linux/windows stacks?

I am using LWIP head for a project with IPv6 and UDP only. It works as expected

signature.asc

Kieran Mansley

Oct 26, 2011, 1:20:57 PM10/26/11

On 26 Oct 2011, at 13:43, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

> Omer Ilany <OME...@il.ibm.com> wrote:
>> I'm currently using version 1.4.0 in a project I'm working on and I was
>> wondering if IPv6 support (dual stack, as in the master branch) is going
>> to be integrated soon into future stable releases.
>> Can you provide any information regarding what is the next stable version
>> supporting IPv6 and when is it expected?
>
> The next release will most probably be 1.4.1 - a pure bugfix release from 1.4.0. I'd expect to finish bug fixing during November, so I expect it to be released this year.
>
> For now, we planned to release the IPv6 code (i.e. the current master code) as 1.5.0 and I'd like to get a beta out around the same time as the 1.4.1 release.

I think getting the 1.4.1 release out by the end of the year should be our primary target, with 1.5.0 to follow. I haven't yet decided, or given enough thought to, what features other than IPv6 should be included in the 1.5.0 release.

Kieran

Mason

Oct 27, 2011, 4:47:35 AM10/27/11
Kieran Mansley wrote:
> I haven't yet decided, or given enough thought to, what features
> other than IPv6 should be included in the 1.5.0 release.

Support for zero-copy DMA drivers (RX and TX) with netconn API :-)

On RX, I used
CORE_LOCKING=1
CORE_LOCKING_INPUT=1
PBUF_REF custom pbuf with custom free function

Simon wrote:
> For the RX side, using a *custom* PBUF_REF would be the best solution.
> That's a pbuf that has a 'freed' callback and references external
> memory. However, that doesn't work, yet (though I planned to add support
> for it as I can see it's one possible solution to implement DMA MAC
> drivers). The problem here is that pbuf_header() can't grow such pbufs
> (as it doesn't know the original length). This would have to be fixed by
> changing the struct pbuf (if only for PBUF_REF pbufs).

I haven't found how to make TX work without copying the frame before
sending, yet.

--
Regards.

vincent cui

Nov 1, 2011, 9:56:30 AM11/1/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Hi:

I just wonder to know that the release code for IPV6 could be ported to LWIIP1.3.2 , anyone care this?

Vincent Cui
Sr. Firmware Engineer
Mobile: +8613255150315
Tel: +86 21 34612525x6104
Fax: +86 21 34619770
E-Mail: vince...@enlogic.com
Shanghai EnLogic Electric Technology Co., Ltd.
Address: 1104-1106, Building A, No.391, Guiping Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, 200233

Mason

Nov 2, 2011, 5:36:41 AM11/2/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
(Please don't top-post.)

Vincent Cui wrote:

> I just wonder to know that the release code for IPv6 could be ported
> to LWIP 1.3.2, anyone care this?

I may be wrong, but I think that 1.3 may be configured to support
EITHER v4 OR v6 (both at the same time is not supported).

I don't think anyone is looking at porting the dual stack back to
the 1.3 branch.

Simon Goldschmidt

Nov 2, 2011, 6:43:31 AM11/2/11
Mason <mpeg...@free.fr> wrote:

> I may be wrong, but I think that 1.3 may be configured to support
> EITHER v4 OR v6 (both at the same time is not supported).

Well, there has been IPv6 support in lwIP for a while, but I don't think it really worked. I think it didn't actually compile without errors for a while now.

The IPv6 code we have now is completely new written (in addition to dual stack support).

> I don't think anyone is looking at porting the dual stack back to
> the 1.3 branch.

I wouldn't advise that as there have been many other bugs fixed since 1.3.x.

Simon

vincent cui

Nov 2, 2011, 6:56:40 AM11/2/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
So , I will report lwip1.4.0 again ? but I need support IPV6..it is critical ..

There is LWIP1.4.0 porting to freertos with STM32?

Vincent Cui
Sr. Firmware Engineer
Mobile: +8613255150315
Tel: +86 21 34612525x6104
Fax: +86 21 34619770
E-Mail: vince...@enlogic.com
Shanghai EnLogic Electric Technology Co., Ltd.
Nov 2, 2011, 8:29:53 AM11/2/11
vincent cui wrote:
> So , I will report lwip1.4.0 again ? but I need support IPV6..it is critical ..

I'm afraid you won't get IPv6 support from us before 1.5.0 unless you
are willing to use a version checked out from git or backport it
yourself or are lucky enough to find someone doing the work for you.
There are not many developers active for lwIP, currently, and so we
don't have a very strict and short time schedule for releases.

vincent cui

Nov 4, 2011, 1:31:54 AM11/4/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Hi:

When will LWIP1.5.0 released ?

Simon Goldschmidt

Nov 4, 2011, 8:18:44 AM11/4/11
vincent cui <vince...@enlogic.com> wrote:

> When will LWIP1.5.0 released ?

We don't have a time schedule, but probably not before the first quarter of the next year, I guess...

Simon

vincent cui

Nov 10, 2011, 12:25:54 AM11/10/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Hi Kieran:

When will you release new lwIP with stable IPv6 version?
Could IPv6 work with IPv4 together ? if not, how to switch automatically ?

Thank you in advance

Vincent Cui
Sr. Firmware Engineer
Mobile: +8613255150315
Tel: +86 21 34612525x6104
Fax: +86 21 34619770
E-Mail: vince...@enlogic.com
Shanghai EnLogic Electric Technology Co., Ltd.
> When will you release new lwIP with stable IPv6 version?

Simon has already answered that question:

Vincent wrote:

> Could IPv6 work with IPv4 together ?

I think the trunk supports dual stack operation.

Simon Goldschmidt

Nov 10, 2011, 5:17:03 AM11/10/11
Mason <mpeg...@free.fr> wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> Please do not top-post.
> http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

Hehe, I think the link you posted doesn't really fit to those mails: his mail was not replying to the original mail at all, so he should not have included the original mail at all if there's nothing of interest to his own question in it. That's not a question of top- or bottom-post, but a more general question of formatting a mail in a way that makes it easy for others to read it (and no, HTML-formatting, doubled line distance and full quoting does *not* increase the chance of such a mail being read by many people!).

And in addition to this: yes, I have already answered that question before. The answer was not too accurate and maybe that's why he now explicitly asked Kieran, not me :-)

Simon

Kieran Mansley

Nov 10, 2011, 11:26:20 AM11/10/11
On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 05:25 +0000, vincent cui wrote:
> When will you release new lwIP with stable IPv6 version?

Simon's already answered this, but I'm even more vague (I think start of
next year is optimistic). It will be released when (i) it is ready; and
(ii) we have the time to do it. I'm more concerned about getting 1.4.1
out at the moment, so won't start thinking about 1.5.0 until after that.

Kieran

vincent cui

Nov 10, 2011, 9:09:35 PM11/10/11
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Kieran and simen:

Thank you for your answer, what I can do now is waiting until next year, but maybe I could play contrite version first.
In fact, I have developed ftp server with lwIP, it works well enough ..and support FlashFXP and FileZilla utility.
The download speed is 200KB/s and upload speed is 40KB/s in my Cortex M3 with spi flash AT45DB321D.
I also plan to release it in LWIP contribution version ...
Hope you can allow me this ...

Appreciate very much

Vincent Cui
Sr. Firmware Engineer
Mobile: +8613255150315
Tel: +86 21 34612525x6104
Fax: +86 21 34619770
E-Mail: vince...@enlogic.com
Shanghai EnLogic Electric Technology Co., Ltd.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:17:41 AM1/26/15
to osdeve_mirro...@googlegroups.com, lwip-...@nongnu.org, gold...@gmx.de
Hi,

The lwIP project is still active?