[lwip-users] lwip not working with Linksys switch?

twenty

Mar 15, 2012, 5:35:51 AM3/15/12
to lwip-...@nongnu.org

Hi All,

I implemented lwip in ADI BF527 DSP on a customized board. The Ethernet
communication is fine between the board and the PC. However, if i connect
the board and pc via a linksys switch, there is no communication at all. I
am sure there is no physical connection problem. i suspect it might be
related to lwip stack as the old platform which used KwikNet TCP/IP Stack
from Kadak didn't have this issue. Do you guys have any idea on that?
Thanks.

Best regards,
Xia

Oane Kingma

Mar 15, 2012, 5:49:46 AM3/15/12
to Mailing list for lwIP users
One thing I found when I was implementing lwIP was that my HP Procurve
switch didn't like my test '01:23:45:67:89:AB' MAC address very much. It
dropped all packets originating from that MAC address...

Best regards,
Oane

--
Oane Kingma
KITT Engineering

Darius Babrauskas

Mar 15, 2012, 5:58:47 AM3/15/12
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Are you use DHCP?
Maybe swith have more ports and it have some delay to start work after
startup your DSP. Maybe try insert delay 20ms after init eth interface.

Best regards,
Darius

Simon Goldschmidt

Mar 15, 2012, 6:28:27 AM3/15/12
twenty <fx...@kns.com> wrote:
> I implemented lwip in ADI BF527 DSP on a customized board. The Ethernet
> communication is fine between the board and the PC. However, if i connect
> the board and pc via a linksys switch, there is no communication at all. I
> am sure there is no physical connection problem. i suspect it might be
> related to lwip stack as the old platform which used KwikNet TCP/IP Stack
> from Kadak didn't have this issue. Do you guys have any idea on that?
> Thanks.

Maybe the switch uses VLANs? If so, try setting ETHARP_SUPPORT_VLAN to 1 in lwipopts.h (included since lwIP 1.3.2) to allow VLAN headers (the VLAN id is not checked without defining ETHARP_VLAN_CHECK or ETHARP_VLAN_CHECK_FN() accordingly - see comment in opt.h).

Simon

Joe Bloggs84

Mar 15, 2012, 7:02:49 AM3/15/12
to Mailing list for lwIP users
This is good advice. If your MAC address doesn't conform to some rules
some systems will not pass the packets and/or some DHCP servers will
refuse to allocate an IP address.

If you want to create your own MAC address for testing then you might
consider using a "locally administered address" - basically make sure
the first octet has bit 0 = 0 and bit 1 = 1, or easy to just choose 0x02
as the first octet of the MAC.

The following IEEE pdf has details but be careful of the bit ordering in
the document (they are shown with the LS bit on the left of the octet
when displaying the binary representation):
http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/macgrp.pdf

Bye for now,
Ian

On 15/03/2012 8:49 PM, Oane Kingma wrote:
> One thing I found when I was implementing lwIP was that my HP Procurve
> switch didn't like my test '01:23:45:67:89:AB' MAC address very much.
> It dropped all packets originating from that MAC address...
>
> Best regards,
> Oane
>
> On 15-3-2012 10:35, twenty wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I implemented lwip in ADI BF527 DSP on a customized board. The Ethernet
>> communication is fine between the board and the PC. However, if i
>> connect
>> the board and pc via a linksys switch, there is no communication at
>> all. I
>> am sure there is no physical connection problem. i suspect it might be
>> related to lwip stack as the old platform which used KwikNet TCP/IP
>> Stack
>> from Kadak didn't have this issue. Do you guys have any idea on that?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Xia

Xia, Fei

Mar 19, 2012, 6:08:27 AM3/19/12
to Mailing list for lwIP users
Thanks guys. You are right. After I set the MAC address according to standard MAC group address convention, the problem is resolved.

Best regards,
Xia