Tracking more than one hand simultaneously?

textchimp

Feb 2, 2012, 9:20:13 PM2/2/12
to OSCeleton
Hi all,

I've just been playing around with OSCeleton and finding it a nice,
simple, fast utility for hand tracking stuff.

I wanted to ask people if there's a trick to get it to track more than
one hand at a time? No matter how much I wave around I only get data
for l_hand (0).

Any ideas? Thanks.

textchimp

Feb 3, 2012, 1:57:00 PM2/3/12
to OSCeleton
Okay, to answer my own question a bit and hopefully help out anyone
else who has the same issues:

First it was necessary to enable multiple hand tracking in the OpenNI/
NITE drivers generally. For me, this involved changing the following
files:

/usr/etc/primesense/Hands_1_3_0/Nite.ini
/usr/etc/primesense/Hands_1_3_1/Nite.ini
/usr/etc/primesense/Hands_1_4_1/Nite.ini
/usr/etc/primesense/Hands_1_4_2/Nite.ini
/usr/etc/primesense/Hands_1_5_2/Nite.ini

It might only be necessary to change one of the files (the most
recent?), but I changed them all just to be sure.
I had to remove the semicolon comment ';' from the start of the lines
in these files so that the lines just read:

AllowMultipleHands=1
TrackAdditionalHands=1

After doing this, OSCeleton could 'find' more than one hand at a time.
However, it still only sends OSC messages about one hand. A look at
the source code suggests that the program just doesn't have support
for tracking more than one hand written into it (i.e. there is only a
variable for tracking one hand, and the "l_hand" message is always
used). I'm going to play with the code to see if I can get messages
for r_hand to work, and I'll report back...

David Alberto Viramontes

Feb 6, 2012, 11:50:41 PM2/6/12
to osce...@googlegroups.com
let me know what you find,
i'm interested in tracking two hands as well.

will look into this further...

LittleBigDonDon

Jun 27, 2013, 5:15:31 PM6/27/13
to osce...@googlegroups.com
Nice! If you make any progress on this, please report back. In the meantime, I'll be doing the same.