EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - September 5, 2021

1 view

Emerald

Sep 5, 2021, 11:07:54 AM9/5/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles where they are already posted.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Inside Clean Energy: In California, the World’s Largest Battery Storage System Gets Even Larger
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/02092021/inside-clean-energy-california-energy-storage-vistra-corp/
"The rapid expansion of batteries paired with wind and solar is transforming the grid and accelerating the transition to clean energy."

Government to ban single-use plastic cutlery
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58360064
"The government has announced plans to ban single-use plastic cutlery, plates and polystyrene cups in England as part of what it calls a "war on plastic".

LOCAL REPORTS
Volunteers Help Struggling Point Reyes Tule Elk Survive Drought (video)
https://youtu.be/ItSArqvtU60
KPIX CBS SF Bay Area: "Dozens of volunteers trekked 6 miles round-trip, carrying gallons of water, to replenish a watering hole used by tule elk trying to survive the drought."

Old-growth forests of Pacific Northwest could be key to climate action

Deniss Martinez on Indigenous science and cultural fire practices
https://www.ehn.org/wildfire-indigenous-2654682395.html

Update on California’s 30X30 initiative: The good, the bad, and the ugly
https://milliontrees.me/2021/09/01/update-on-californias-30x30-initiative-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Logging in disguise: How forest thinning is making wildfires worse
https://grist.org/fix/forest-thinning-logging-makes-wildfires-worse/
"The U.S. Forest Service clears trees from public lands in the name of fire prevention, but it doesn’t work. There are better strategies to protect communities, but don’t expect to hear about them from the logging industry."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
GM Bt maize hits predator of armyworm pest
"The new study is the latest in a long line of studies that raise questions about the effects of eating GM Bt crops on the guts of humans and other animals. But it also shows that the ecological effects of GM Bt crops stretch beyond the specific target pests to impact natural predators of those pests, affecting the sustainability of farming – something that is not given sufficient attention in regulatory assessments of these crops."

Pesticides can amplify each other. Bees have become the victims.

91% of Pennsylvania schools that tested drinking water found lead—only 9% removed it
https://www.ehn.org/pittsburgh-public-schools-water-lead-2654812292.html

FOSSIL FUELS
Why is life on Earth still taking second place to fossil fuel companies?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/19/life-earth-second-place-fossil-fuel-climate-breakdown
"It is still government policy to “maximise economic recovery” of oil and gas from the UK’s continental shelf. According to the government’s energy white paper, promoting their extraction ensures that “the UK remains an attractive destination for global capital”, which is “the best way to secure an orderly and successful transition away from traditional fossil fuels”. It’s hard to imagine a more perverse argument. But when you pursue incompatible aims, the first casualty is logic."

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Exposure to air pollution below legal limits still linked to premature deaths

The Proliferation of Plastics and Toxic Chemicals Must End
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/opinion/plastics-fossil-fuels.html?smid=tw-share

GREEN NEW DEAL
Climate activists fear this is the last chance to pass meaningful legislation
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/08/24/climate-biden-congress-protest/
"There is a rising frustration among many of those organizers, who say they helped turn out the vote in 2020 but are not seeing climate pledges translate into meaningful changes. They are worried that the opportunity to push through ambitious climate legislation will soon be gone — and that they may not have another chance."

WAKE UP CALL
After Ida, Toxic Smoke From Shell’s Norco Plant in Louisiana Creates Apocalyptic Landscape

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Wrap up cool: Blankets help stave off glacier melt on Swiss ski pistes

Our Driving Habits Must Be Part of the Climate Conversation
https://rmi.org/our-driving-habits-must-be-part-of-the-climate-conversation/?fbclid=IwAR2L0u2UMqLMVkVah5s-eS9brYZJjS4Vh3JlJ9pnR8DleVriswASqsdDNqU
"Transportation investments overwhelmingly favor the personal vehicle over public transit and other non-drivers despite the oversized environmental and social costs associated with driving."

Paris Introduces 30 Km/h Speed Limit 'to Reduce the Space Taken by Cars'
https://www.ecowatch.com/paris-speed-limit-2654840707.html

The Story of Water (video)
https://www.storyofstuff.org/movies/the-story-of-water/
"Cities around the country are finding creative ways to keep their water systems out of corporate control."

DIRECT ACTIONS
Enbridge pipeline opponents criticize Minnesota Capitol fence, police presence ahead of Wednesday rally
"The decision to militarize the Capitol grounds rather than welcome the presence of Indigenous grandmothers, art, and ceremony is part of the law enforcement pattern under Governor Walz," organizers said in a statement Tuesday. "Water protectors are planning to show up peacefully this week at the Capitol to defend the land and water for all people, despite being met with intimidation and threat of force."

"Slow and steady will not win the climate race"
https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1774818.html
"Greenpeace (Luxembourg) draws attention to the recently published IPCC report and therefore urges Minister of Social Security Romain Schneider to realign the investment strategy of the pension fund with the goals of the Paris Agreement. The organisation further demands that investments into fossil fuels be completely stopped: "The government's credibility is on the line."

‘We can’t just walk away’: Line 3 is almost done, but opponents aren’t giving up
https://minnesotareformer.com/2021/08/23/we-cant-just-walk-away-line-3-is-almost-done-but-opponents-arent-giving-up/

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Diverse landcover boosts yields for major U.S. crops, study finds
https://phys.org/news/2021-09-diverse-landcover-boosts-yields-major.html

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es (en español)
http://facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty
https://twitter.com/OcSoCo
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.