CA North Coast redistricting ... time for input

Ruess

Aug 23, 2021, 12:45:05 PM8/23/21
to Sonoma Group EXCom Excom, Sierra Club Sonoma Grp Pol Com, Sierra Club.RedwoodExCom, MOAG, LDC_SonCo, SonCo_LCP.Update2020, SoCoGPU @google, Sonoma Coast Environmental, OSC EARTH ACTION GROUP, North Coast Water Network, Environment
So we don’t wind up the grab bag for other Districts without meaningful (and reflective) representatives. (see next dates below)

They want input on what we think are “communities of interest”.  I believe we are more like other coastal areas than inland counties … tell them what you believe and why!

Please share this with others who will be interested.

I know you’re busy - but this will be critical to our representation for years to come.

Stay safe.  Take good care.
Rue

August 23, 2021 Meeting
(Zone A--Del Norte, Humboldt County, Mendocino, Lake, Napa, Sonoma, Trinity)

Spanish interpretation will be provided automatically for this meeting. Other languages must be requested by email at interpret...@crc.ca.gov, on the registration form or by calling our offices at (916)323-0323.
Communities of Interest Public Input Meeting – 3:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M. daily or upon conclusion of business

Spanish Listen Only Audio Line
Phone Number: (888) 566-1377
Participant Passcode: 3891010

August 24, 2021 Meeting
(Zone C--Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano)

Spanish, Mandarin, Russian and Cantonese interpretation will be provided automatically for this meeting. Other languages must be requested by email at interpret...@crc.ca.gov, on the registration form or by calling our offices at (916)323-0323.
Communities of Interest Public Input Meeting – 3:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M. daily or upon conclusion of business

Spanish Listen Only Audio Line
Phone Number: (888) 566-1377
Participant Passcode: 3891010

Mandarin Listen Only Audio Line
Phone Number: (888) 455-5950
Participant passcode: 5461715

Russian Listen Only Audio Line
Phone Number: (800) 619-4436
Participant passcode: 1191472

Cantonese Listen Only Audio Line
Phone Number: (800) 988-9658
Participant Passcode: 3776377

Larry Hanson

Aug 23, 2021, 8:20:37 PM8/23/21
to Ruess, Sonoma Group EXCom Excom, Sierra Club Sonoma Grp Pol Com, Sierra Club.RedwoodExCom, MOAG, LDC_SonCo, SonCo_LCP.Update2020, SoCoGPU @google, Sonoma Coast Environmental, OSC EARTH ACTION GROUP, North Coast Water Network, Environment
I weighed in on this mostly emphasizing the connected watersheds of the Russian and Eel River and basins together with the coastal zone for fisheries and recreation. Keep it together.

Larry

On Aug 23, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Ruess <ruep...@gmail.com> wrote:

So we don’t wind up the grab bag for other Districts without meaningful (and reflective) representatives. (see next dates below)

They want input on what we think are “communities of interest”.  I believe we are more like other coastal areas than inland counties … tell them what you believe and why!

Please share this with others who will be interested.

I know you’re busy - but this will be critical to our representation for years to come.

Stay safe.  Take good care.
Rue

<New_Logo.jpeg>

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Ruess

Aug 23, 2021, 8:29:42 PM8/23/21
to Sonoma Group EXCom Excom, Sierra Club Sonoma Grp Pol Com, Sierra Club.RedwoodExCom, MOAG, LDC_SonCo, SonCo_LCP.Update2020, SoCoGPU @google, Sonoma Coast Environmental, OSC EARTH ACTION GROUP, North Coast Water Network Water Network, Environmental No Coast
Thank you Larry … those are excellent community of interest issues,  All true.

enjoy your evening All,
Rue

Tom Conlon

Aug 23, 2021, 11:17:54 PM8/23/21
to Ruess, Sonoma Group EXCom Excom, Sierra Club Sonoma Grp Pol Com, Sierra Club.RedwoodExCom, MOAG, LDC_SonCo, SonCo_LCP.Update2020, SoCoGPU @google, Sonoma Coast Environmental, OSC EARTH ACTION GROUP, North Coast Water Network Water Network, Environmental No Coast
I too listened to most of the redistricting meeting today (I had to take a break, so I may have missed something). Seemingly almost everyone who called in is in favor of maintaining the status quo.

The Commission heard loud and clear from up and down the North Coast that these folks want to stay together, rather than being forced to merge into some wanna-be future State of Jefferson to the east. They also heard from an elected in Novato who wants to stay connected to Sonoma (and all of the North Coast) and especially NOT get merged together with San Francisco. Several electeds from American Canyon spoke in favor of keeping Napa County contiguous and connected to Sonoma County (their main reason was because so many wine industry businesses are located there). The folks in American Canyon are worried they might be merged with Vallejo with which they share a zip code (and seemingly to me, much more than they do St Helena). Maddy Hirschfield (NB Labor Council) supported the North Coast's ask, but her main request was that the North Bay (Sonoma, Napa, and Marin) should stick together (the Chair asked her to clarify her definition of "North Bay" and it was basically this).

Jackie Elward called in and said, "Don't forget about us in Rohnert Park", but didn't seem to have a clear message or ask of the Commission. I followed her, and said that while I appreciated and wanted to echo many of the comments of all these communities asking for coherence with their communities of interest, most of them tend to be naturally aligned North-South along the coast and valleys. However, here in Sonoma Valley my own AD #4 has "a finger" which cuts east-west directly across several of these north-south valleys (coast, Petaluma, Sonoma, Napa, Yolo) and all these different counties. As a result, I almost see my Assemblyperson, who is based in Yolo County. I mentioned that this might be advantageous sometimes in that we get to have three Assemblymembers "representing" Sonoma County in Sacramento. What I left unsaid is that in practice, these are usually just 3 votes for the fossil-fuel/ag/wine/tourism interests who fund her campaigns. The result is a representative whose attention is spread across five counties, out of touch with the people who actually live in each one, and mainly listening to the lobbyists who visit her in Sacramento.

So I guess the status quo is working!
- Tom

Thomas P. Conlon
Ex-Com and Co-chair Climate & Energy, Sierra Club Sonoma Group
Steering Committee, Transition Sonoma Valley
PO Box 5 Sonoma CA 95476
707-322-8056 (mobile)
he/they