EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - April 12, 2024

OSC

Apr 12, 2024, 4:40:08 AMApr 12
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles where they are already posted.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Great Redwood Trail milestone: Plan unveiled for path connecting San Francisco and Humboldt bays
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/great-redwood-trail-milestone-plan-unveiled-for-path-connecting-san-franci/
"What would be the longest U.S. rail-to-trail project came into sharper focus this week with the release of draft master plan outlining the proposed route, funding options and challenges."

"Grants for income-qualified Bay Area residents to retire their older car & replace it w a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, battery, or hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle, or a pre-paid card to use for public transit & purchase e-bikes."
This program is ending soon.

Oregon Passes One of the Strongest Right to Repair Laws in the U.S.
https://www.ecowatch.com/oregon-right-to-repair-law.html

Virginia’s Utility Regulator Approves Enough New Solar Projects to Power Nearly 200,000 Homes
https://www.ecowatch.com/virginia-utility-regulator-solar-projects-approval.html

Secondhand Clothing Market in U.S. Grew 7x Faster Than General Clothing Retail in 2023
https://www.ecowatch.com/secondhand-clothing-market-global-growth-sustainability.html

Phoenix Passes Historic Ordinance Giving Outdoor Workers Protection From Extreme Heat
https://www.ecowatch.com/phoenix-arizona-outdoor-workers-extreme-heat-protection-law.html

Florida Lawmakers Pass Ban on Intentional Balloon Releases
https://www.ecowatch.com/florida-balloon-release-ban.html

LOCAL REPORTS
Point Reyes National Seashore ranchers in talks with The Nature Conservancy amid fight over their private leases
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/point-reyes-national-seashore-ranchers-in-talks-with-the-nature-conservancy/
If the Nature Conservancy does something right, that would be a good thing.  They have not been reliable as environmentalists in regards to logging and other issues, so there is cause for concern that they are the mediators of this dispute.  The Center For Biological Diversity is also involved, and they have a consistently excellent record.  This article states that TNC might shut down the ranchers, but given their history that seems unlikely.

The Growing Threat of the Biomass Industry
https://www.pjcsoco.org/peace-press.html
Pages 8 and 14

California’s Yurok Tribe Becomes First to Steward Land Alongside National Park Service

Santa Rosa quarry facing $8.6 million fine is being sold to international company
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/santa-rosa-sand-and-gravel-company-facing-8-6-million-fine-is-being-sold-t/
"BoDean’s owner would not directly say if sale is related to potential fine involving Mark West Quarry."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
An herbicide so hazardous that courts have banned it twice
https://www.thenewlede.org/2024/04/an-herbicide-so-hazardous-that-courts-have-banned-it-twice/
"For the second time, a federal court banned the hazardous herbicide dicamba, which has been wreaking havoc on farmers, rural communities and the natural world for seven long years. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) re-approved dicamba after the first court action."

FOSSIL FUELS
White House open to ending LNG export pause in push for Ukraine aid, sources say
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/white-house-open-ending-lng-export-pause-push-ukraine-aid-sources-say-2024-04-02/
Big shots at the poker table gambling our survival. When Biden says he's going to do something good, watch the back door.

WAKE UP CALL
Fukushima Turns 13 in an Ever-More Nuclear World (full video)
https://youtu.be/0z89WDmzj5I?si=sY708Ieg0emEyq43

Fukushima Turns 13 in an Ever-More Nuclear World - clip 1 (video clip)
https://youtu.be/d1o6Y153k3s?si=LrVK_c_gUoDgR6zB

60% of Bamboo Toilet Paper Brands in the UK Were Made With Other Woods, Testing Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/bamboo-toilet-paper-sustainability-uk-greenwashing.html
Bamboo toilet paper is one of the worst greenwashing scams!  Please don't use that.  Bamboo is great for sustainable wood products, including the new bamboo toothbrushes.  But the process of making bamboo into paper and also fabric for clothing is extremely polluting.

Zimbabwe Declares ‘State of Disaster’ as Drought Threatens Food Supply
https://www.ecowatch.com/zimbabwe-drought-national-disaster-food-shortage.html

More Than 80% of EU’s Agricultural Subsidies Goes to Animal Farming That Is ‘Driving Us to the Brink’
https://www.ecowatch.com/eu-agriculture-subsidies-animal-farming-plant-based.html

$1 Trillion Worth of Food Is Wasted Globally per Year, UN Report Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/global-food-waste-un-report.html

More Than Half of U.S. Landfills Are Methane ‘Super-Emitters,’ Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/landfills-methane-super-emitters-us.html

3 ‘Most Important’ Greenhouse Gases Reached Record Highs Again Last Year: NOAA Scientists
https://www.ecowatch.com/greenhouses-gases-record-high-noaa-scientists.html

Most of Colorado River’s Annual Flow Is Being Used for Agriculture, Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/colorado-river-flow-agriculture-water-depletion.html

Climate Change Threatens the Health of Aging Adults, Researchers Say
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-threats-health-aging.html

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
‘Nature Has Rights’: Aruba Could Become 2nd Country to Recognize Rights of Nature in Constitution
https://www.ecowatch.com/aruba-nature-rights-constitution.html

Rebecca Solnit: Slow Change Can Be Radical Change
https://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-slow-change-can-be-radical-change/
“Describing the slowness of change is often confused with acceptance of the status quo. It’s really the opposite.”

Peace is Necessary to Give the Climate a Chance
https://progressive.org/op-eds/peace-is-necessary-to-give-the-climate-a-chance-von-Mering-20240206/
"Military spending exacerbates the climate crisis, but emissions caused by wars and military operations are often exempt from our carbon budgets and climate analyses."

Carbon Emissions Reduction Rate in U.S. Has Doubled Since Passage of Inflation Reduction Act, Report Finds
"Since the IRA was passed in 2022, more than 80 wind, solar and energy storage projects have made use of the law’s tax credits and direct payments."

Brazil and France ‘Join Forces’ With $1.1 Billion Green Investment Plan for Amazon Rainforest

Specialized Paint Coatings Help Cities Feel as Much as 1.5°C Cooler, Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/paint-coatings-cooler-temperatures.html

Scientists Develop Window Coating That Blocks Heat While Letting in Light
https://www.ecowatch.com/window-coating-heat-blocking-light-visibility.html

European Court of Human Rights to Rule on Whether Governments Must Protect People From Climate Change

Strategy Is a Craft
https://forgeorganizing.org/article/strategy-craft
"A conversation with Deepak Bhargava and Stephanie Luce about their new book, Practical Radicals, and the need for the left to embrace a rigorous, multi-pronged strategy for change."

DIRECT ACTIONS
Meet the communities trying to take over their local electric utility
https://grist.org/politics/meet-the-communities-trying-to-take-over-their-local-electric-utility/
"Activists say public power would lower bills and expand clean energy. But they face tough opposition from investor-owned utilities."

Meet the Young Peruvians Fighting in Court for Climate Action
https://www.thenation.com/article/environment/youth-plaintiffs-peru-alvarez-climate-change-court-case/
"Seven youth plaintiffs, ages ranging from 14 to 16, argue that the state is violating their right to a healthy environment by failing to curb Amazon deforestation and mitigate climate change."

‘A powerful message through song’: the UK’s Climate Choir Movement is growing
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/07/a-powerful-message-through-song-the-uks-climate-choir-movement-is-growing
"Founded in Bristol in 2022, ‘the moderate flank of protest’ has 600 members in 11 choirs."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Upcycling 101: Everything You Need to Know
https://www.ecowatch.com/upcycling-facts-ecowatch.html
"Upcycling is the reusing of discarded objects, materials and other waste, for repurposing into something new of higher value and different use."

Rose Essential Oil Is a Safe and Effective Pesticide for Organic Agriculture, Study Finds
This is an interesting solution to organic, non-toxic gardening and agriculture.  But rose essential oil is one of the most expensive ones.  If you wish to try this, there are two cheaper brands that are reasonable quality: Aura Casia and Now brand.  You can also dilute it in water for a spray, but it is an oil that won't mix well with water so shake vigorously between applications or get a rose hydrosol which is a water essence and also cheaper.  For an effective and cheaper option, consider using neem oil which can also be used as a dormant oil spray on fruit trees in the spring.

Regenerative Farm Map
https://organicconsumers.org/regenerative-farm-map/
Use this tool to find regenerative agriculture in any location.

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
How To Grow Strawberries On The Balcony, Beautiful And Have Free Strawberries To Eat (video)
https://youtu.be/bPaMbpVXw8M?si=aLlfs7YADsddX5Zr
Strawberries are easy to grow from plants or from seeds.  You can use this method with recycled plastic bottles or any type of containers: clay or plastic pots, cloth growing bags, raised beds, buckets... anything.  For fertilizer use compost, compost tea, worm castings, worm castings tea, or well-rotted manure.  Apply fertilizer once a month.  Put a thick layer of mulch such as dry leaves around the plants to retain soil moisture and add gradual fertility.  Strawberry plants are perennial for several years and will survive our winters here.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es (en español)
http://facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty
https://twitter.com/OcSoCo
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.