EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - August 27, 2021 (no newsletter last week)

1 view

Emerald

Aug 27, 2021, 7:57:51 AM8/27/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles where they are already posted.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!

LOCAL REPORTS
Mother Trees and the Social Forest | Suzanne Simard (video)

"Jeanne Hammond, ISP Restoration Program Manager, and Lindsay Faye Domecus, Environmental Biologist discuss the San Francisco Bay’s saltmarshes and tidal mudflats that provide unique habitat for a range of wildlife, from resident shorebirds to migrating waterfowl along the Pacific Flyway."

Why hasn't California banned logging that worsens fires and destroys forests?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/letters-editor-why-hasnt-california-100028935.html

Inside the political battle to preserve a sprawling national forest in California
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/inside-the-battle-to-save-a-sprawling-national-forest-in-california?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=crm-email::src=ngp::cmp=editorial::add=Planet_Possible_20210824&rid=2A83A1679DA3D00B06D379678BB5845B
"The best value for forests is not to chop them down and convert them into wood chips or paper or anything else. The best value of those forests is as forests, preferably old-growth forests, and for the wide range of ecosystem services that those forests provide."

Flame and Fortune: It’s trees vs. fire in an attempt to get ahead of California’s pending summer of smoke

California Wine Country Towns Are Banning New Gas Stations

Petaluma: la ciudad de EE.UU. que prohibió las estaciones de servicio
https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera-sabado/noticia/petaluma-la-ciudad-de-eeuu-que-prohibio-las-estaciones-de-servicio/QLZPQKMEW5CFPLNOM4SK4BI5N4/
"La urbe del condado de Sonoma, en California, es la primera del país que ordena suprimir la creación de nuevas gasolineras con el fin de reducir las emisiones de carbono."
Coverage in Chile about the new gas station ban.

This town is the first in America to ban new gas stations – is the tide turning?

Logging in disguise: How forest thinning is making wildfires worse
"The U.S. Forest Service clears trees from public lands in the name of fire prevention, but it doesn’t work. There are better strategies to protect communities, but don’t expect to hear about them from the logging industry."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Of Multiple Stressors, Pesticides Are the Most Harmful to Bees by Acting Synergistically to Increase Mortality

Roundup is finally going to be made without glyphosate in the US
https://www.popsci.com/health/bayer-lawsuit-phase-out-roundup/

PIPELINES
Winona LaDuke Feels That President Biden Has Betrayed Native Americans
"What did we get from Joe? A pipeline shoved down our throats."

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
The Story of Microfibers (video)
https://www.storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-microfibers/
"Most of us wear synthetic fabrics like polyester every day. Our dress shirts, yoga pants, fleeces, and even underwear are all increasingly made of synthetic materials — plastic, in fact. But these synthetic fabrics, from which 60% of all clothing on earth is made, have a big hidden problem: when they’re washed, they release tiny plastic bits — called microfibers — that flow down our drains, through water treatment plants, and out into our rivers, lakes and oceans by the billions."

How artificial intelligence can help save us from air pollution
https://www.ehn.org/air-pollution-artificial-intelligence-2654239069.html

GREEN NEW DEAL
The US city that has raised $100m to climate-proof its buildings
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/19/ithaca-new-york-raised-100m-climate-proof-buildings
"The upstate New York city of 30,000, home to Cornell University and Ithaca College, adopted a Green New Deal in 2019, a big part of which involves decarbonizing thousands of privately owned commercial and residential buildings across the city."

WAKE UP CALL
Ruralist Lament: More Fire, Less Ice
https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/08/26/ruralist-lament-more-fire-less-ice/
"Focusing on an Ultra-bummer like a climate catastrophe and an evolving climate regime very unfriendly to human beings is hard to think about. So….. we don’t. The trends and the facts have been quite clear for years (even to reclusive dirt-farmers) and it’s not encouraging."

The IPCC Understated the Need to Cut Emissions From Methane and Other Short-Lived Climate Pollutants, Climate Experts Say
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/12082021/ipcc-report-methane-super-pollutants/
"A landmark report on the science of climate change underplays the quick benefit of reducing methane emissions, but the Biden administration says they’re on it, anyway."

Drax Denies ‘Conflict Of Interest’ Over Lobbyist’s Climate Advisory Role
https://www.desmog.com/2021/08/11/drax-conflict-interest-carbon-budget-climate/
"Environmentalists raise concern that a senior policy manager for the biomass producer may have had input on UK climate policy. "

Indigenous communities in danger of being erased from the map in Brazil
"After living on and fighting for their lands for centuries, the rights of Indigenous Peoples in Brazil are endangered by a legal loophole called Marco Temporal that could legalize theft of their lands."

The Clearcut Kings: the Forest Service’s Obsession With Supersized Clearcuts in the Northern Rockies

'Out of Control': Brazilian Amazon Deforestation Hits Highest Level in a Decade
"At this rate, we will not be able to keep global warming below 1.5ºC, a target defined in the Paris agreement."

Greenhouse gas emissions must peak within 4 years, says leaked UN report
"Group of scientists release draft IPCC report as they fear it will be watered down by governments."

Indigenous communities in danger of being erased from the map in Brazil

Industry reacts to landmark IPCC report findings
"Following the publication of the sixth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Assessment Report, the industry, academia and campaigners respond to its key findings."

IPCC report signals decisive moment for humanity: Urgent climate action needed

Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'
"UN Secretary General António Guterres said: "If we combine forces now, we can avert climate catastrophe. But, as today's report makes clear, there is no time for delay and no room for excuses. I count on government leaders and all stakeholders to ensure COP26 is a success."

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

DIRECT ACTIONS
The origin of the term "Tree hugger"
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1490057514687695&set=gm.4247334838693341
"The first tree huggers were 294 men and 69 women belonging to the Bishnois branch of Hinduism, who, in 1730, died while trying to protect the trees in their village from being turned into the raw material for building a palace."

Cameroonians rally to demand EU stop deforestation for rubber
“Cameroonians rally today for a bold EU policy: rubber products linked to deforestation must be kept out of the European market. Europeans cannot vote with one hand for a Green New Deal and use the other one to buy commodities or finance plantations that erase our forests and displace our people,” said Nkolo Thade, a Baka indigenous leader."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
"For two rural cooperatives in Hawai‘i and New Mexico, energy sovereignty means taking actions toward decentralizing resources, increasing solar power plus storage, and centering community and the land in the process."

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
In Wyoming, fences are coming down to make way for wildlife
"On a warm July morning, roughly two dozen volunteers gathered at a ranch outside Cody, Wyoming, carrying wire cutters, gloves, buckets, and bottles of water. The goal was to take down several miles of barbed wire."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es (en español)
http://facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty
https://twitter.com/OcSoCo
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.