"Excerpt" and "Description", confusing how they are used for talks…

Aaron Wolf

Jun 4, 2015, 5:42:06 PM6/4/15
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
My talk is http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/1598

Now, when I submitted this, I thought "excerpt" sounded like not a meta thing but some bits and intro as though from the talk. "Description" sounds like the basic meta-summary part. But I see my "Excerpt" (which is a bit lengthy, not as concise) being used in the hover in the schedule listing and potentially in program listings and such. It's excessively long for that context. I feel confused about these terms and their use.

First, maybe my talk should have the "Excerpt" and "Description" swapped?

Anyway, I think more clarity about what these mean and where each of them will be used would be appropriate in the future. Explicitly identify one as the "brief summary for program" and the other as "more thorough description" or something like that.

Looking forward to OSB! Tons of amazing talks and things scheduled…

Best,
Aaron

Bart Massey

Jun 4, 2015, 6:01:28 PM6/4/15
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I've been complaining about "Excerpt" forever :-). Markus just picks an actual random sentence from his talk AFAICT. I've gotten into the habit of using the key sentence of my abstract as the "Excerpt". But I agree that we should just pick a better description, for example "Blurb (one sentence)", and be done with it.

--

---

Aaron Wolf

Jun 4, 2015, 6:41:25 PM6/4/15
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, at Snowdrift.coop, we just settled on "blurb" for the short thing
and "description" for longer.

Besides fixing this confusing situation, I also would like to know ASAP
whether I should *edit* my proposal, whether that will affect the hover
thing or the program… I.e. I want to know how to get it fixed where the
thing that should be brief is far too long for the case of my talk (and
I saw at least one accepted other with the same problem).
> <mailto:osbridge+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
>
> ---

rei...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2015, 12:26:46 PM6/5/15
to osbr...@googlegroups.com, osbr...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to rename that field to something less confusing. I've opened https://github.com/osbridge/openconferenceware/issues/110 to track that.

Aaron — feel free to edit your talk to improve things now. It will change the text everywhere on the OSB site. We don't include the descriptions in the printed schedule, due to space, so you don't need to worry about that. We may print the talk "excerpts" on door signs outside each room, but those aren't printed until the week of the event.

Best,
Reid