OSB android app?

Scott Garman

Jun 25, 2012, 1:03:46 AM6/25/12
to osbridge
Hello,

I was just wondering if there is going to be an OSB android app this
year to view the schedule, and if so where I might obtain it from?

Thanks, and I'll see some of you at the volunteer orientation tomorrow!

Scott

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 1:43:13 AM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what the offical plans are but it looks like igal's repo
has not been updated since last year. So if any android dev's out
there want to pick up the project:

https://github.com/igal/opensourcebridge-android
--
benh~

http://about.notbenh.info

Stability is not a Regression.

Jacob Helwig

Jun 25, 2012, 3:25:28 AM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
signature.asc

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 1:22:11 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Jacob, hero among men.

Don Park

Jun 25, 2012, 5:33:47 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
The app built and I tested it on my phone. There were a couple spots
that still had 2011. I patched those and it looks good to go.

https://github.com/igal/opensourcebridge-android/pull/5

Now it needs Igal to build it, sign in, and push it up to the Google
Appstore (Play).

Don

Daniel Johnson

Jun 25, 2012, 3:22:41 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Jacob Helwig <ja...@technosorcery.net> wrote:
It built fine for me, and is showing this years schedule. I have an
Android Market publisher account should I put it up? It would show up
as a new app rather than an update because I'm a different publisher.

Jacob Helwig

Jun 25, 2012, 6:32:07 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

I think we should let Igal have a chance to update the app already in the market. Less chance of confusing people.

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 6:38:51 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Jacob Helwig <ja...@technosorcery.net> wrote:

I think we should let Igal have a chance to update the app already in the market. Less chance of confusing people.

Thanks for noticing that the Android app was out of date, Scott. I appreciate the pull requests from Jacob and Don. I'm reviewing these and will make any other necessary changes to switch it to 2012. I should have it published by the evening and will email when done.

Thanks,

-igal

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 6:41:56 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I second that we should give igal a chance to take charge. Also I
noticed that the Readme had a 2011 and the project desc is also
2011'd.

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 6:42:54 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see your reply before I chimed in again. It's great to have
you back in town, let us know if there's anything we can do to help...
other wise we'll see you tomorrow =)

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 6:48:36 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM, benh <ben.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't see your reply before I chimed in again. It's great to have
you back in town, let us know if there's anything we can do to help...
other wise we'll see you tomorrow =)

Thanks for the pull request and kind words, Ben.

I finally have Eclipse up and running the app again, so I'm hoping that finishing this off will be pretty straightforward. If not, I'll ask for help.

-igal

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 6:49:02 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
PS: I'll add Ben to the app's contributors list. :)

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 6:50:38 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
If you really want to I'm not going to complain but really all I did
was notice that the readme hadn't been updated... you have the power
I'll leave it to you.

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 7:41:09 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Help.

So I'm ready to publish the updated app, but can't.

The problem is I can't get into the Google Play account associated with the app. No matter what account I log into, it insists that I don't have a profile and need to create a new one. However, I don't want to do that because that'd create another copy of the app rather than update the existing one, and I'd have to create a new profile with a new name that's not my own name.

Ideas?

-igal

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 8:32:24 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't find anything online to help me resolve this, so I put in a ticket for Google on this issue.

How long should I wait to hear back from Google before giving up and registering a new account and publishing a new app? I'm thinking of publishing the new version of the app with a "2012" appended to it so it's possible to distinguish it from the previous one. Sigh.

-igal

Jacob Helwig

Jun 25, 2012, 9:06:57 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

I've had issues with the developer side of the play market and multiple Google accounts. Unfortunately the only suggestion I have is to make sure you're completely logged out and keep trying different accounts. It's pretty lame.

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 9:29:24 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
~sigh~ one would think that getting things posted would be the simple part.

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 25, 2012, 9:59:13 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Jacob Helwig <ja...@technosorcery.net> wrote:

I've had issues with the developer side of the play market and multiple Google accounts. Unfortunately the only suggestion I have is to make sure you're completely logged out and keep trying different accounts. It's pretty lame.

Thanks. Tried that with eight different accounts, but nada.

I even found my email receipt for the Android developer registration, but clicking the details link gives me an "access denied" error despite trying to view it from the same account that the receipt was mailed to. None of my other accounts can view it either.

So either I registered the account using a Google account that I haven't thought to try, or something broke during the various Google account changes and transition from Marketplace to Play during the last year.

Sigh.

-igal

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 11:45:25 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Is this something that we can just have for side loading? Seems we
could just post the apk on the wiki or something?

Jacob Helwig

Jun 25, 2012, 11:49:25 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Sure, but IIRC there are still providers that prevent that from working on "their" phones.
signature.asc

benh

Jun 25, 2012, 11:56:56 PM6/25/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
~le sigh~ why is this whole "lets keep the world safe for gramma"
mentality making life difficult ! Sorry I forgot that's the whole
point right.

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 26, 2012, 12:11:01 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM, benh <ben.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
~le sigh~ why is this whole "lets keep the world safe for gramma"
mentality making life difficult

It does, but there's almost always something sinister behind it. In this case, the flimsy rationalization of security is a cheap ploy to force people to use the store.

-igal

Don Park

Jun 26, 2012, 12:26:31 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM, benh <ben.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this something that we can just have for side loading? Seems we
> could just post the apk on the wiki or something?

The options I see are:

1. "side-loading" using a debug key (this is how I tested the apk on
my phone). One downside is phones with the 2011 app will deny the
debug version as they key is different but the java package name is
the same. Also a (small) downside is the marketplace application will
not manage the app. If/when the "real" app is updated, the debug-key
app has to be uninstalled first.

2. Using someone else's Google play account. To do this the java
package name has to change. Adding 2012 to the app title would be a
good idea. A marketplace search would bring up both apps but it should
be clear which is the correct one.

the following chart shows what happens during the 2012 install, and
the 2013 install (assuming Igal's login is recovered by then) using
both options. Each option is listed twice for having and not having
the 2011 app installed first.

2011 2012 2013
sideload installed Uninstall first Uninstall first
sideload not installed OK Uninstall first
market2 installed OK Two apps
market2 not installed OK Two apps

I'd go with the sideload even though its more of a pain it avoids have
two os bridge apps on people's phones and my feeling is Igal's login
will be recovered at some point.

Don

ben hengst

Jun 26, 2012, 12:34:03 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com, Don Park
Does OSB have a play Acct? Is that a good idea?

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 26, 2012, 12:43:51 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the details, Don.

Given that I haven't heard anything back from Google and expect this to take multiple rounds of interactions to resolve correctly, so it's unreasonable to expect this to be done before much of the conference is over.

Making the app easy to download is a priority, so side-loading isn't an option. I'm in the process of setting up a Google Play account for Open Source Bridge and will publish a "2012" app through it, so it's more obvious that it's the current version.

As for 2013, we'll figure that out later. :)

Sigh.

-igal

benh

Jun 26, 2012, 1:11:02 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Scott I'm putting you in charge of doing the same reminder email one
year from now so we can work out the 2013 issue =)

Thanks Igal for heading this all up.

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 26, 2012, 1:39:44 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, ben hengst <ben.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does OSB have a play Acct? Is that a good idea?

Yes, that's a good idea because then anyone in the organization with the credentials can publish updates to the app, rather than just me. I wanted to do that originally, but back then it wanted to permanently associate my credit card with the account, which I really didn't want. This time I was able to pay for the account and delete the saved credit card after paying.

So I setup a Play account for Open Source Bridge and tried to publish the app, but can't because it's all pending approval. How long does that take, especially for the account approval? Should we have someone with an active Google Play account try to publish this instead?

-igal

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 26, 2012, 5:38:27 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I've setup a Google Play account for Open Source Bridge and published the Android app for 2012 through it, hopefully they'll approve it by morning.

Unfortunately I still have no way of unpublishing or replacing the app that's currently in the Play Store under my name and am waiting for Google support to figure out what went wrong, but don't expect a quick resolution.

For the sake of the future, are there folks with Android experience that would like to take over ownership of this app? E.g. update it for the year as needed, and possibly add features and fix bugs?

Thanks,

-igal

benh

Jun 26, 2012, 5:44:53 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
OMG Ponies when do you sleep =) wait why am I not asleep.

I'm seeing both so it's published?
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=open+source+bridge

As for updates, is this something that can be resolved by having it
track a 'current' URL rather then a 2012?

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 26, 2012, 7:46:54 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:44 AM, benh <ben.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
OMG Ponies when do you sleep =)
:(

wait why am I not asleep.
:)
Yay. I'm relieved that it finally got on the Play Store and works.

As for updates, is this something that can be resolved by having it
track a 'current' URL rather then a 2012?
That would be lovely, among many other things. Like many things, that app was written in a rush and contains many hardcoded that helped get it done in time for the event. However, all these values can be derived by querying the JSON interfaces of OpenConferenceWare. If someone would like to do that, that'd be great.

-igal

Jacob Helwig

Jun 26, 2012, 8:29:17 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

Hacker lounge project?

ben hengst

Jun 26, 2012, 8:57:47 AM6/26/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Helwig
Second.

Merilyn Gottlieb

Jul 31, 2012, 2:30:45 PM7/31/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
to all the obsbridge tech people-
please help. I can't watch the live feed from the olympics. i have been trying since sunday. just missed women's team gymnastics. and of course now i already know the results. before i can watch it on nbc tonight.   it won't let me click on a choice of cable provider on the screen or the dropdown menu.so i can't enter username and password. and nbc has not responded. because they suck. #nbcfail. and i have tried ie chrome firefox and safari. windows xp.

here is an example.

thanks
merilyn

Daniel Johnson

Jul 31, 2012, 3:07:23 PM7/31/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
> I can't watch the live feed from the olympics. i have been
> trying since sunday.

I'm pretty sure the Android app doesn't have a live video feature.
That would be pretty neat to see live open source bridge sessions in
the app though. People who can't afford to make the trip from
Australia could watch from their Nexus 7 tablet.

Merilyn Gottlieb

Jul 31, 2012, 3:13:08 PM7/31/12
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
daniel you can see certain live feeds on android. i watched an oprah life class on my phone.

Daniel Johnson

Jun 18, 2013, 3:23:42 AM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Helwig
I patched it for 2013

https://github.com/teknotus/opensourcebridge-android

It works on my phone. I could probably figure out how to get it on the
store. I can at least email whoever an apk if they want to make it a
download link.

Reid Beels

Jun 18, 2013, 4:18:57 AM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Helwig
Thanks Daniel!

If you can tell me what I need to do to build an apk from this source, or send me an unsigned apk, I can sign it with the osbridge key and update it on the market.

Reid
--

---

Daniel Johnson

Jun 18, 2013, 4:39:57 AM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

Audrey Eschright

Jun 18, 2013, 10:49:11 AM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Is this ready for us to announce?

Daniel Johnson

Jun 18, 2013, 11:56:32 AM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

> Is this ready for us to announce?

It's not on the Android store, you could ask for volunteers to get it there. You can install from the file though.

Spencer Krum

Jun 18, 2013, 2:52:35 PM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I don't have an developer account, but I'd be happy to make one. Should I do that?

Thanks,
Spencer

Julie Baumler

Jun 18, 2013, 2:57:42 PM6/18/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com

I installed it from the file last night, it's working and helpful

On Jun 18, 2013 8:56 AM, "Daniel Johnson" <tekn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this ready for us to announce?

It's not on the Android store, you could ask for volunteers to get it there. You can install from the file though.

Brian Martin

Jun 19, 2013, 12:35:16 AM6/19/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
The app looks great! I'd love to see an enhancement to allow me to flag/star/highlight selected sessions. That would allow me to pick out interesting sessions in advance, and then I could just look at the app to remind me of which ones I'd picked out.

              -Brian Martin

On 06/18/2013 08:56 AM, Daniel Johnson wrote:

>> Is this ready for us to announce?
>>
> It's not on the Android store, you could ask for volunteers to get it
>  there. You can install from the file though.
>
> --

--------------------
Brian P. Martin, Chief Consultant
Martin Consulting Services, Inc.
Phone: 503-617-4500
E-mail: Br...@MartinConsulting.com
Web: www.martinconsulting.com
Blog: www.pdxsys.com

Daniel Johnson

Jun 19, 2013, 1:40:09 AM6/19/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
It's on the android store as of about an hour ago.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.opensourcebridge.android2012

We had to use the same package name if we wanted people who had the old version to automatically receive updates, and that is why it saw 2012 in the URI. The name should show up at 2013 everywhere else though.

Mark holland

Sep 15, 2013, 11:10:15 AM9/15/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on OpenConferenceWare-android which is what the os bridge app is based on as part of Google Summer of Code and would love your feedback and feature requests

Daniel Johnson

Sep 15, 2013, 7:15:54 PM9/15/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Mark holland <mark29...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working on OpenConferenceWare-android which is what the os bridge
> app is based on as part of Google Summer of Code and would love your
> feedback and feature requests

My fork [1] is the one the google play store app for Open Source
Bridge 2013 is currently based on. I would say the most important
issue is to be able to use the same app without modification for
different years of the same conference, and hopefully also different
conferences that use openconferenceware. If you look at the few
patches I made you can probably guess at what needs to be done. The
track numbers, and dates change every year, and thus there needs to be
a way to fetch those facts from the server, and render appropriately.

Some other things that would be nice:

* links to wiki pages for session notes
* Session feedback
* map to rooms inside the venue if available
* maps to offsite events
* events often have a message of the day in the morning with notes
about things to know about for the day. A link to that info would be
nice
* official hashtag for the event
* photo sharing

Something else that might be useful to you is the android app for
calagator. It's also a scheduling app. If there are license issues
with taking code it currently only has one author and thus probably
easy to get permission. [2] [3]

It's looking good!

[1] https://github.com/teknotus/opensourcebridge-android
[2] https://github.com/samg/caladroid
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pdx-tech-calendar/6qUdrhfs02c/nt2PkUJ8dPEJ

--
teknotus (Take Notice)

Mark holland

Sep 16, 2013, 8:18:32 AM9/16/13
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi there and thanks for the reply

Yes, I did see your fork for 2013.

Removing as much hardcoded details was the first thing I tackled and right now the only thing that's still hardcoded is the conference date on the splash screen. Something that can easily be removed all together.

As for all the other ideas they look great and once I've looked into them properly I'll get back to you. It looks like some of them would best be done by interacting with the ocw web app, something I haven't looked at yet.

Thanks again.

Mark

Don Park

May 3, 2014, 5:58:40 PM5/3/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
  Is there work that needs doing for the 2014 edition of the os bridge android app? I can put some time into that. There are a number of forks floating around - is there a canonical repo?

Thanks,
Don

Don Park

May 8, 2014, 3:36:20 PM5/8/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the 'best' edition of the osbridge app is in
https://github.com/teknotus/opensourcebridge-android/

I've started to freshen the app for 2014. The schedule JSON structure
has changed a bit and the hard-coded event dates need updating. The
conversion is going well so far.

One issue I've come across is the 2012&2013 app uses the package name
of org.opensourcebridge.android2012 which means a Play store URL of

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.opensourcebridge.android2012

For 2014, do we want to stay on this package name, which means
existing app installs can simply upgrade, or can we break out to a new
name which wont go out of date from year to year. This URL is the only
place the end user ever sees it, so its not a big deal either way,
juts a bit awkward and possibly confusing for someone looking for a
link to this year's app.

Thanks,
Don
> --
>
> ---

Amy K. Farrell

May 8, 2014, 4:01:05 PM5/8/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Don,

Thanks so much for taking this on!

I think that removing the year from the URL (and, hopefully, getting all
hard-coded dates out of the app, if that's still an issue) would be
best. Probably the people who worked on this last year ran into a time
or bureaucracy constraint.

I don't know whether Mark Holland, the GSOC student who worked on the
app last summer, is still following this thread. You probably saw his
fork on github, but in case you want to follow up on that, the project
home for that is https://code.osuosl.org/projects/ocw-android.

Thanks again.

- Amy

Don Park

May 8, 2014, 4:12:09 PM5/8/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amy,
I talked to Mark about his fork. Its made some good progress on
being a general OpenConferenceWare android app. He said the changes
would not be immediately useful to the OSB app, so I've started with
teknotus' branch. It'll be easy to get a 2014-ready version in the
store soon (this weekend?), and then we can put out upgrades as they
become available.

I agree that a generic package name w/o a year indicator would be
best. Thanks.

Don

Daniel Johnson

May 14, 2014, 6:05:45 PM5/14/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
> I agree that a generic package name w/o a year indicator would be
> best. Thanks.

Using the 2012 wasn't for time constraint reasons but so that it would
update the existing installs if I remember correctly. The conference
was already in session when it got published last year. In 2012 they
wanted to use the original name, but google store wouldn't accept it
for some reason.

Don Park

May 16, 2014, 2:11:37 PM5/16/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Ok that makes sense, thanks Daniel. I picked
'org.opensourcebridge.navigator' which hopefully can be a long-term
package name for the app.

Progress to date is in
https://github.com/donpdonp/opensourcebridge-android

That version loads the 2014 schedule. The schedule currently contains
coffee breaks and hacker lounges, while sessions are still listed as
proposals (which get ignored by the app). I am assuming the 'proposal'
objects in the json feed will switch to 'schedule_item's once they
have been assigned a room, and the app can be tested further.

Don

Don Park

May 21, 2014, 7:48:22 PM5/21/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
The bare-essentials for 2014 are now merged into

https://github.com/teknotus/opensourcebridge-android

Using the 'package name' of org.opensourcebridge.navigator.

Can this get deployed to the Android Play Store? I imagine there will
be updates to the app between now and when OSB begins, but it'd be
nice to be able to point people to something today.

Don

Mark holland

Aug 29, 2014, 2:57:12 AM8/29/14
to osbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up Android again and needed an idea for a project to put what I've learned into practice so what better app than ocw-android!

This is a new project separate from the osuosl fork as I wrote this entirely from scratch.

To the end user it provides basically the same functionality, list of events, detail of events, filter by day of conference but all in a faster, slicker package.

You can read more about what was involved in my brief write up. http://www.partiallogic.com/2014/08/ocw

There's still lots that can be added along with fine tuning and probably some bug fixing but because my Summer is now over I can't really set any definite time frames so I'm presenting the project as is. With minimal changes it can be set up to be used at next years OSB so feel free to contact me about doing that.

Thanks for reading!

Mark.