Performance testing, best practices and gems and tools

Rodney Degracia

May 2, 2011, 4:56:49 PM5/2/11
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion

I did some research on performance testing for Rails Apps and I found two gems:  query_reviewer and bullet.

Query_reviewer: It looks like it's great for getting back information, from performance testing of a Rails App.  I just thought it would be good for the community to know about it.  The downside is that it looks to be a bit older, and I am not sure how it works with Rails 3.0 http://code.google.com/p/query-reviewer/

Bullet: A rails plugin/gem to kill N+1 queries and unused eager loading.   The good news, it supports Rails 3. https://github.com/flyerhzm/bullet

--

Does anyone else have suggestions for additional Ruby gems that can help with performance testing and tuning of Rails Apps ?

Is there a best practice document  or tools for executing performance tests on Rails Apps, for example:

* Load Testing
* Stress Testing
* Endurance Testing, for example applying continuous expected load, and monitoring memory and CPU.
* Spike Testing, for example increasing the number of users, and monitoring how the application behavior changes.
* Load-balancing Testing

I know that New Relic provides performance metrics, but are there other tools or gems?

What do you think?

Rodney

Jason Seifer

May 2, 2011, 8:52:19 PM5/2/11
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
You can't go wrong with ruby-prof for finding slow ruby code.

Regarding load/stress/etc testing, check out Tsung (http://
tsung.erlang-projects.org/). It's not a ruby gem but rather an erlang
based load/stress testing tool. It's got a ton of great features and
it's not limited to just http -- other protocols can be tested as
well. You can also use it in a distributed manner and spin up a bunch
of ec2 instances to simulate a ton of concurrent users and hammer your
servers for as long as you want.