Social meetup?

Jeremy McAnally

Jan 21, 2012, 11:02:47 PM1/21/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
I haven't actually been able to make it down to a meeting yet (the curse of owning a business and being lazy otherwise I suppose, eh?), but even then, I've noticed the last 4-5 meetings have all been Code School betas.  Not that I'm not a Code School fan (looks to be great content!), but frankly the content isn't at a level where it's of much benefit to me.  I'd just rather not spend several hours beta running a course I don't really need.

So, I was wondering if in addition to the meeting this month if anyone would want to meet up for something more casual/social?  I don't really "do" the bar scene but I can hang out at one if that's what everyone wants to do.  Maybe we could find a room downtown to rent just to hang out, eat, and hack a bit?  Anyone know of a restaurant that has a banquet room available or something?  (Or some other part of the city, I'm flexible)

Gregg Pollack

Jan 21, 2012, 11:53:25 PM1/21/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
And if anyone would like to volunteer to do a Ruby-ish talk I'd love to have more of those.  Jeremy, would you do something?  Might be a great way to jump back into regular meetings instead of code school.

If anyone wants to help organize a more social/hack event too, that'd be fun.  I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone

David Rogers

Jan 22, 2012, 8:24:30 PM1/22/12
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
We could always organize a Ruby-themed Coding Dojo to help kick off
that group again. The randori kata style we've been using last year
was a big success, and I'd love to learn more Ruby from some _real_
Rubyists.

OrlandoPHP and the Orlando Dojo have been using Urban Rethink and
Panino's Pizza downtown. I think that Rethink has a recurring event on
2nd Thursdays that conflicts, if that's still the plan, but the guys
at Panino's have been happy to have us PHPers on those idle 1st
Thursdays. I could always ask... Great pizza, and they let us take
over their "upper room" with TV's and plenty of meeting space.

Anyone interested?

On Jan 21, 11:53 pm, Gregg Pollack <greggpoll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And if anyone would like to volunteer to do a Ruby-ish talk I'd love to have more of those.  Jeremy, would you do something?  Might be a great way to jump back into regular meetings instead of code school.
>
> If anyone wants to help organize a more social/hack event too, that'd be fun.  I'm all for it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 21, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hey all,
> > I haven't actually been able to make it down to a meeting yet (the curse of owning a business and being lazy otherwise I suppose, eh?), but even then, I've noticed the last 4-5 meetings have all been Code School betas.  Not that I'm not a Code School fan (looks to be great content!), but frankly the content isn't at a level where it's of much benefit to me.  I'd just rather not spend several hours beta running a course I don't really need.
>
> > So, I was wondering if in addition to the meeting this month if anyone would want to meet up for something more casual/social?  I don't really "do" the bar scene but I can hang out at one if that's what everyone wants to do.  Maybe we could find a room downtown to rent just to hang out, eat, and hack a bit?  Anyone know of a restaurant that has a banquet room available or something?  (Or some other part of the city, I'm flexible)
>
> > --Jeremy
>
> > --
> >http://jeremymcanally.com/-http://arcturo.com/

Gregg Pollack

Jan 23, 2012, 9:08:02 PM1/23/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of town on the 2nd Thursday of February.

Does someone want to step up and do the footwork to make this happen? Thanks!

Gregg Pollack
Envy Labs
http://envylabs.com
407-754-5517

Jeremy McAnally

Jan 23, 2012, 9:10:41 PM1/23/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
We could always organize a Ruby-themed Coding Dojo to help kick off
that group again. The randori kata style we've been using last year
was a big success, and I'd love to learn more Ruby from some _real_
Rubyists.

Sounds cool, but I was thinking something even more informal than that.  I mean, if that's what everyone wants to do cool, but I was just thinking about piling in a room, hanging out, and seeing what sort of code pops out. :)

OrlandoPHP and the Orlando Dojo have been using Urban Rethink and
Panino's Pizza downtown. I think that Rethink has a recurring event on
2nd Thursdays that conflicts, if that's still the plan, but the guys
at Panino's have been happy to have us PHPers on those idle 1st
Thursdays. I could always ask... Great pizza, and they let us take
over their "upper room" with TV's and plenty of meeting space.

Those sound perfect (even better that they're used to nerds storming the place!).  I'm up for either one, and my dates are generally flexible for the next couple of months.

--Jeremy

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/ - http://arcturo.com/

Jeremy McAnally

Jan 23, 2012, 9:11:42 PM1/23/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
And if anyone would like to volunteer to do a Ruby-ish talk I'd love to have more of those.  Jeremy, would you do something?  Might be a great way to jump back into regular meetings instead of code school.

Sure I could try to work something up by next month.  I've been doing a lot of work with external API's lately (wrapping them up, using them in web apps, etc.), so maybe I trial a talk on that.  I've been wanting to work one up on the subject anyhow.

--Jeremy

David Rogers

Jan 25, 2012, 9:23:25 AM1/25/12
On Jan 23, 9:10 pm, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We could always organize a Ruby-themed Coding Dojo to help kick off
> > that group again. The randori kata style we've been using last year
> > was a big success, and I'd love to learn more Ruby from some _real_
> > Rubyists.
>
> Sounds cool, but I was thinking something even more informal than that.  I
> mean, if that's what everyone wants to do cool, but I was just thinking
> about piling in a room, hanging out, and seeing what sort of code pops out.
> :)

To be honest, that's kind of how the dojos seem to work. The folks
that are interested in coding end up coding, and the folks that are
interested in socializing just kinda hang out. With readily available
pizza and beer, anything goes. I use the dojo format at PHP quite a
bit because it requires little prep time to organize; Caike and I
already have a testing environment for PHP, Javascript, Ruby, and
Python.

> > OrlandoPHP and the Orlando Dojo have been using Urban Rethink and
> > Panino's Pizza downtown. I think that Rethink has a recurring event on
> > 2nd Thursdays that conflicts, if that's still the plan, but the guys
> > at Panino's have been happy to have us PHPers on those idle 1st
> > Thursdays. I could always ask... Great pizza, and they let us take
> > over their "upper room" with TV's and plenty of meeting space.
>
> Those sound perfect (even better that they're used to nerds storming the
> place!).  I'm up for either one, and my dates are generally flexible for
> the next couple of months.

So, Panino's it is? I'll give 'em a ring to make certain the date then
post the announcement to this group, I guess...?

David @ OrlandoPHP.org et al

David Rogers

Jan 25, 2012, 9:24:53 AM1/25/12
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
Maybe we can set that up for next month, i.e. March? Gregg, are you
the only one who can update the ORUG website?

On Jan 23, 9:11 pm, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And if anyone would like to volunteer to do a Ruby-ish talk I'd love to
> > have more of those.  Jeremy, would you do something?  Might be a great way
> > to jump back into regular meetings instead of code school.
>
> Sure I could try to work something up by next month.  I've been doing a lot
> of work with external API's lately (wrapping them up, using them in web
> apps, etc.), so maybe I trial a talk on that.  I've been wanting to work
> one up on the subject anyhow.
>
> --Jeremy
>

> > On Jan 21, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> > I haven't actually been able to make it down to a meeting yet (the curse
> > of owning a business and being lazy otherwise I suppose, eh?), but even
> > then, I've noticed the last 4-5 meetings have all been Code School betas.
> >  Not that I'm not a Code School fan (looks to be great content!), but
> > frankly the content isn't at a level where it's of much benefit to me.  I'd
> > just rather not spend several hours beta running a course I don't really
> > need.
>
> > So, I was wondering if in addition to the meeting this month if anyone
> > would want to meet up for something more casual/social?  I don't really
> > "do" the bar scene but I can hang out at one if that's what everyone wants
> > to do.  Maybe we could find a room downtown to rent just to hang out, eat,
> > and hack a bit?  Anyone know of a restaurant that has a banquet room
> > available or something?  (Or some other part of the city, I'm flexible)
>
> > --Jeremy
>
> > --
> >http://jeremymcanally.com/-http://arcturo.com/
> > Bowties, ties, and more:http://wickhamhousebrand.com
> > My books:
> >http://r3uh.com http://rbip.info/ http://hlrb.org(FREE!)
>
> >  --
>
> > --
>
> --http://jeremymcanally.com/-http://arcturo.com/

Gregg Pollack

Jan 25, 2012, 2:20:40 PM1/25/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
I am but I'd be happy to get anyone access.

Gregg Pollack
Envy Labs
http://envylabs.com
407-754-5517

Gregg Pollack

Jan 31, 2012, 9:08:33 AM1/31/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
Definitely want to keep this conversation going. If anyone would like to take the initiative here, I'd be happy to get you access to the site / mailing list.

Gregg Pollack
Envy Labs
http://envylabs.com
407-754-5517

Rodney Degracia

Jan 31, 2012, 10:30:30 AM1/31/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com

Greg and Jeremy,

Taste Restaurant has a nice quiet section that may be available for code/hacking during the day, as long as we order food/drink while we are there. I am also available to co-work or hack Ruby with anyone else that is available, during the week.

I am available to do a presentation on setting up and configuring Hudson (running on a MacMini) as a Continuous Integration server for Rails projects, if there no other presentations lined up.

I'd like to be able to post an article to the site. I am assuming it is a blog; is there a way to sign up as a Writer/Editor ?

Thank you,

Rodney Degracia
rdeg...@gmail.com

Gregg Pollack

Jan 31, 2012, 9:36:04 PM1/31/12
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
I'll hook you up Rodney and David.. thanks for offering.

David Rogers

Feb 1, 2012, 10:01:13 PM2/1/12
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
Thanks for the hook-up, Gregg. I posted some details about the Feb 9th
meeting on orug.org thanks to the aforementioned hookup. See yall then
and there!

David