Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Newsletter - Service Date and Time for August

Shannon Ware

Aug 3, 2013, 9:25:38 AM8/3/13
to orthodox...@googlegroups.com

Christ is with us!

Orthodox Ireland provides news and information for Orthodox Christians living in Ireland, Orthodox Christians of Irish descent, and anyone with an interest in Orthodox Christianity in Ireland. This mailing list is open to anyone acting in good faith, and is sponsored by Our Lady Pantanassa Antiochian Orthodox Christian Mission in Cork.

Contents

  • Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday
  • Sunday Scripture Readings
  • Reflection from Fr John
  • Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Service Time

Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday

The Holy Seven Sleeping Youths of Ephesus; Recovery of the relics of Martyr Eudokia of Persia

Sunday Scripture Readings

The Reading from the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans. (12:6-14)

Brethren, having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, and serve the Lord. Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

The Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew. (9:1-8)

At that time, Jesus got into a boat, crossed over and came to His own city.  And behold, they brought to Him a paralytic, lying on his bed; and when Jesus saw their faith He said to the paralytic, “Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven.”  And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming.”  But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?  For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’?  But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—He then said to the paralytic—“Rise, take up your bed and go home.”  And he rose and went home.  When the crowds saw it, they marveled, and they glorified God, Who had given such authority to men.

Source: http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/service_texts_weekends.html

Reflection from Fr John

Let us not forget that as our fellow Christians are dying for our faith in the Middle East and may be counted as Martyrs; we on the other hand never stop complaining about our hardships and how difficult life is for us; yet we enjoy the freedom to profess our Orthodox Christian Faith. The question here is that when we leave this life and face Christ what account will we have to give of ourselves? Therefor through Christ remember the three R's; Reflect, Reveal and Repent. We as FREE Christians must never hide our light under the basket of FEAR of what others think; we are free to express our faith so do so and have Compassion in our lives constantly referring every aspect of our lives to Christ.

Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Service Time

 We are celebrating our next Holy Divine Liturgy on Saturday the 31 of August at 11.00 am and confessions are at 10.30 am. The location is at Fr Matthew Quay in the Church of the Holy Trinity.

http://www.antiochian-orthodox.co.uk/Parishes/dublin.htm

Shannon Ware

Aug 11, 2013, 6:08:56 AM8/11/13
to orthodox...@googlegroups.com

Orthodox Ireland provides news and information for Orthodox Christians living in Ireland, Orthodox Christians of Irish descent, and anyone with an interest in Orthodox Christianity in Ireland. This mailing list is open to anyone acting in good faith, and is sponsored by Our Lady Pantanassa Antiochian Orthodox Christian Mission in Cork.

Contents

  • Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday
  • Sunday Scripture Readings
  • Reflection from Fr John
  •  Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Service Time

Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday

The Holy Seven Sleeping Youths of Ephesus; Recovery of the relics of Martyr Eudokia of Persia

Sunday Scripture Readings

The Reading from the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans. (15:1-7)

Brethren, we who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves; let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to edify him. For Christ did not please himself; but, as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached thee fell on me.” For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures, we might have hope. May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, so that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Welcome one another, therefore, as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.

The Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew. (9:27-35)

At that time, as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed him, crying aloud: “Have mercy on us, Son of David.” When He entered the house, the blind men came to Him; and Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” They said to Him, “Yes, Lord.” Then He touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith be it done to you.” And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly charged them, “See that no one knows it.” But they went away and spread His fame through all that district. As they were going away, behold, a dumb demoniac was brought to Him. And when the demon had been cast out, the dumb man spoke; and the crowds marveled, saying, “Never was anything like this seen in Israel.” But the Pharisees said, “He casts out demons by the prince of demons.” And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity.

In today’s Gospel we are challenged by Christ’s words; “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”

The people described in this Gospel are blind; dumb; and judgemental.                                                                       The demonic reveals to us that although we are not under the yoke of a demon yet we are constantly under demonic attack.                                                                                                                                                                         If we place ourselves in the place of the two blind men, we can glean some insight into ourselves. We in effect are spiritually blind. When we realise this we are for the first time seeing spiritually.

Likewise when we open our hearts to Christ in the Mystery/Sacrament of Confession and receive absolution we invariably get attacked.  This is to distance us from our Saviour.                                                                                                                                     We begin to doubt the grandeur of the Sacrament. Disbelieving the fact of our Spiritual cleaning in Christ; and by extension we doubt the validity of Christ’s sacrifice for us. Even though we actually don’t mean this it is the action of doubting suggested to us that opens the abyss before us! This highlights the subtlety and sheer cunning of the demons attack. Their attacks are always covert and very nasty. However we have our invincible protector Christ Jesus Our Living Lord with us; who teaches us through our individual experiences learning of His Love for us and thereby developing in FAITH thus crushing the attacks of the enemy.

The Pharisee in us judges from a human perspective neglecting that righteousness is achieved through faith and not through rules. By this I am not suggesting that our rules of fasting and the commandments should be rubbished but may only be approached through faith in Christ, where faith is always the key.

Therefore it may be said that our adhering to the need to fast is strongly linked to our faith development.

“Do you believe that I can do this?” ............................................. “Yes Lord”.