Re: Digest for orthodox-ireland@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Sharon Ware

Aug 12, 2013, 8:29:05 AM8/12/13
to orthodox...@googlegroups.com

This was a wonderful gospel reading and yes, I do believe and have faith in Jesus the Christ. Thank you.

On Aug 11, 2013 3:32 PM, <orthodox...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/orthodox-ireland/topics

    Shannon Ware <bear...@gmail.com> Aug 11 03:08AM -0700

    Orthodox Ireland provides news and information for Orthodox Christians
    living in Ireland, Orthodox Christians of Irish descent, and anyone with an
    interest in Orthodox Christianity in Ireland. This mailing list is open to
    anyone acting in good faith, and is sponsored by Our Lady Pantanassa
    Antiochian Orthodox Christian Mission in Cork.

    *Contents*

    - Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday
    - Sunday Scripture Readings
    - Reflection from Fr John
    - Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Service Time

    *Selected Saints Commemorated Sunday* The Holy Seven Sleeping Youths of
    Ephesus; Recovery of the relics of Martyr Eudokia of Persia *
    *

    <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e9U2BI5QB1g/UgdiONh7Y6I/AAAAAAAAC88/6Tyu_hOGCJk/s1600/KellsFol032vChristEnthroned.jpg>
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *Sunday Scripture Readings*

    *The Reading from the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans. (15:1-7)*

    Brethren, we who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak,
    and not to please ourselves; let each of us please his neighbor for his
    good, to edify him. For Christ did not please himself; but, as it is
    written, “The reproaches of those who reproached thee fell on me.” For
    whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that
    by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures, we might have
    hope. May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in
    such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, so that
    together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord
    Jesus Christ. Welcome one another, therefore, as Christ has welcomed you,
    for the glory of God.

    *The Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew. (9:27-35)*

    At that time, as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed him,
    crying aloud: “Have mercy on us, Son of David.” When He entered the house,
    the blind men came to Him; and Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I
    am able to do this?” They said to Him, “Yes, Lord.” Then He touched their
    eyes, saying, “According to your faith be it done to you.” And their eyes
    were opened. And Jesus sternly charged them, “See that no one knows it.”
    But they went away and spread His fame through all that district. As they
    were going away, behold, a dumb demoniac was brought to Him. And when the
    demon had been cast out, the dumb man spoke; and the crowds marveled,
    saying, “Never was anything like this seen in Israel.” But the Pharisees
    said, “He casts out demons by the prince of demons.” And Jesus went about
    all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the
    gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity.

    *Source*: http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/service_texts_weekends.html

    <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mY2-lQQcM6g/UgdiZuMDBEI/AAAAAAAAC9E/6tHRNJlqnU0/s1600/KellsFol033rCarpetPage_v2.jpg>
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *Reflection from Fr John*

    In today’s Gospel we are challenged by Christ’s words; “Do you believe that
    I am able to do this?”

    The people described in this Gospel are blind; dumb; and
    judgemental.
    The demonic reveals to us that although we are not under the yoke of a
    demon yet we are constantly under demonic
    attack.
    If
    we place ourselves in the place of the two blind men, we can glean some
    insight into ourselves. We in effect are spiritually blind. When we realise
    this we are for the first time seeing
    spiritually.

    Likewise when we open our hearts to Christ in the Mystery/Sacrament of
    Confession and receive absolution we invariably get attacked. This is to
    distance us from our
    Saviour.
    We begin to doubt the grandeur of the Sacrament. Disbelieving the fact of
    our Spiritual cleaning in Christ; and by extension we doubt the validity of
    Christ’s sacrifice for us. Even though we actually don’t mean this it is
    the action of doubting suggested to us that opens the abyss before us! This
    highlights the subtlety and sheer cunning of the demons attack. Their
    attacks are always covert and very nasty. However we have our invincible
    protector Christ Jesus Our Living Lord with us; who teaches us through our
    individual experiences learning of His Love for us and thereby developing
    in FAITH thus crushing the attacks of the
    enemy.

    The Pharisee in us judges from a human perspective neglecting that
    righteousness is achieved through faith and not through rules. By this I am
    not suggesting that our rules of fasting and the commandments should be
    rubbished but may only be approached through faith in Christ, where faith
    is always the key.

    Therefore it may be said that our adhering to the need to fast is strongly
    linked to our faith development.

    “Do you believe that I can do this?”

    <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--Sr1f9bvros/Ugdil606YbI/AAAAAAAAC9M/_trg81xMhhA/s1600/KellsFol007vMadonnaChild_V2.jpg>

    *Our Lady Pantanassa Parish Service Time*

    We are celebrating our next Holy Divine Liturgy on Saturday the 31 of
    August at 11.00 am and confessions are at 10.30 am. The location is at Fr
    Matthew Quay in the Church of the Holy Trinity.

    http://www.antiochian-orthodox.co.uk/Parishes/dublin.htm

    To subscribe to this newsletter, or for comments or suggestions regarding
    this email, please visit
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/orthodox-ireland