GeoLocation and MRAID

Generic Person

Sep 24, 2013, 6:15:31 PM9/24/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com

Going over MRAID specification docs, I could not find any mention of ability to find GeoLocation of the mobile device.
Is this out of scope of MRAID?
I see that ORMMA did have openMap() function which could locate the device on a map  (provided it has user's permission). Is there something similar in MRAID?

We would like implement MRAID compliant creatives which are aware of the geo-location of the device, any pointers on how to go about it?

Thanks in a bunch in advance.

Nathan Carver

Sep 25, 2013, 9:18:16 AM9/25/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, GeoLocation is outside of MRAID because it is part of HTML5. The group did not want to duplicate or compete with an existing standard. (openMap() was a hold-over from earlier drafts before navigator.geolocation was supported in most mobile browsers.)

You can work directly with this feature in your web-based ad by calling the navigator.geolocation object methods and properties. The W3C has a specification for it, but w3schools is probably an easier starting point: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_geolocation.asp.

Thanks,
-Nathan