So let's start planning August

1 view

YosemiteSam

Aug 4, 2010, 6:23:49 PM8/4/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Time to start planning an August get-together - hopefully we'll have a
few more folks join this time to expand the opinions and backgrounds.

It seems like mid-week works better for scheduling, so let us know if
your in town the week of Aug16th, 23rd or 30th.

Here's a few thought starters on possible Chowndown locations for
August. Please comment or add your own ideas:

Magic Wok - Shanghai-style Chinese
Anatolia - Turkish
Cedar's - Lebanese
Hanamizuki - Authentic Japanese
La Nuova Cucina - Sao Paulo-style Italian
Wa - Japanese fusion
Ming Bistro - Weekend dim sum
Lac Viet - North Vietnamese
Izakaya Toshi - Japanese "tapas"
Ravenous Pig - Gastropub
K - James Beard nominee chef
Luma on Park - local-sourced gourmet
Chef's Table at the Edgewater - gourmet prix fixe

starbucksbrew

Aug 5, 2010, 7:32:40 AM8/5/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
The 23rd or 30th would work best for us. We have plans on the 16th.
Any of those places would be great. Several of them I haven't heard
of, and some others are favorites that I haven't been to in a long
time.

Ashley

meg comins

Aug 5, 2010, 11:16:33 AM8/5/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
I like the 23rd and 30th also, except I'm leaving for the weekend on Sept 2. What caught my eye were the Sau Paulo style Italian and Cedars.

rgcblackie

Aug 6, 2010, 3:06:35 PM8/6/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
I am free on every night EXCEPT for 8/18-19, and 8/23-25.

I have not been to (but am particularly interested/excited by):

Ming Bistro - Weekend dim sum
Izakaya Toshi - Japanese "tapas"

These choices are also very intriguing:

Anatolia - Turkish
Cedar's - Lebanese
Chef's Table at the Edgewater - gourmet prix fixe
Hanamizuki - Authentic Japanese

Please let me know what y'all decide & I'll be there!!!

-Rebeca-

starbucksbrew

Aug 6, 2010, 5:05:13 PM8/6/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
My babysitter can sit for me on the 30th, so that's my best date.

Ashley

Hoosier

Aug 9, 2010, 9:11:51 PM8/9/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Would a wednesday or thursday work for you all as opposed to Monday
the 30th? I have class on Mondays and Tuesday evenings till
December. If its too late in the game to change the date for August,
maybe we could set it up for later in the week when we all meet in
September. I had such a good time at our July meetup that I hope to
keep up with the group in the future.

As for which restaurant to choose I think the Ia Nuova Cucina sounds
good. Also, if the izakaya is nice, then that would be a great time
for sure.

meg comins

Aug 9, 2010, 10:57:23 PM8/9/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in Tampa on wednesday but could meet later, but will be out of town on Thursday. If this month doesn't work out for you I'll be glad to meet you the following week (wed or thurs) at Nuova Cucina...I don't mind going out more than once a month. :)

starbucksbrew

Aug 10, 2010, 7:37:57 AM8/10/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Why don't we plan the September one for a Wed or Thur? I had to miss
the July dinner because I couldn't get a babysitter, and I managed to
get one for Aug 30.

Ashley

Hoosier

Aug 10, 2010, 8:33:15 AM8/10/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
That sounds fine with me. We can set the September date for later in
the week.

And Meg, that would be fun to meet up at Nuova Cucina the following
wednesday. If anyone else is interested, please join us!

YosemiteSam

Aug 10, 2010, 9:53:20 AM8/10/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
OK then, Monday, August 30th it is - seems like we'll always have
challenges with dates and times - we'll do later in the week next
time.

Now let's pick a place, I'll narrow it down to 5 and then everyone can
vote:

Anatolia
Cedar's
Izakaya Toshi
La Nuova Cucina
Hanamizuki

Everyone who can make it vote away....

Ricky Ly

Aug 10, 2010, 9:56:05 AM8/10/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
oh! just a tip, make sure you check out restaurant.com and slickdeals.net for gift certificates to these places, it will help reduce the bill by alot
--
Sincerely,

Ricky Ly, EI
University of Central Florida
407-432-9563

rgcblackie

Aug 10, 2010, 2:06:05 PM8/10/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Ok- the 30th it is!!!

My vote is for Izakaya Toshi - Japanese "tapas" - as it would provide
a means for us to bond over shared plates and allow us to sample
numerous dishes.

My second choice would be Cedar's - Lebanese since I have always been
a fan of that country's foods.

Please let me know what the final plans are, alright?

Thanks!!!

-Rebeca (aka rgcblackie) -

On Aug 10, 9:56 am, Ricky Ly <rickyly2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh! just a tip, make sure you check out restaurant.com and
> slickdeals.netfor gift certificates to these places, it will help

meg comins

Aug 10, 2010, 3:45:43 PM8/10/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
I just rescheduled my doctoral exams for Aug. 31 and Sept 1. I was supposed to take them next week but I'm not ready. I won't be able to make it this month but will see you in September. Sorry for the change in plans.

starbucksbrew

Aug 10, 2010, 8:49:04 PM8/10/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Izakaya is also my first choice, and Cedar's second.

Ashley

YosemiteSam

Aug 16, 2010, 5:53:04 PM8/16/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
OK, I did a little digging, and despite the word in the title, it
turns out that Izakaya Toshi isn't much of an izakaya at all - more of
a regular sushi/Japanese place. Not really what the goal of this
group is so I propose we pass on that one.

Looking above, I therefore nominate either Cedar's or Hanamizuki. I
know they're on the other side of town from Toshi but they seemed to
be the top choices of the rest of the group. Another option is Wa.

We're set for Monday the 30th, but we need a spot - chime in with your
preference.

YosemiteSam

Aug 16, 2010, 6:28:52 PM8/16/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
By the way, check out this menu to get an idea how different this
place is from other Japanese places in town

http://hanamizuki.us/dinnermenu.htm

Most of the clientele are Japanese as well - a real hidden gem

Also check out this link for the Special Menu at Wa (scroll down):

http://www.warestaurant.com/menu.html

Ricky Ly

Aug 16, 2010, 10:34:27 PM8/16/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
I have to chime in about hanamizuki , try to go during lunch on the weekend, they have amazing shio butter ramen only available during lunch hours (i think lunch ends at 2pm) . they also have amazing fried rice for a side.

I have eaten there for dinner as well and must attest to their great udon nabeyaki (both for lunch and dinner), but their appetizers are very small and it can get very expensive ( i recommend getting one of those restaurant.com certificates if you go at night as the bill racks up pretty quick)

Ricky Ly

starbucksbrew

Aug 17, 2010, 7:43:49 AM8/17/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
I like the rec for trying Hanamizuki some other time at lunch. Those
lunch items sound fantastic.
Wa looks very interesting too. Where is it?
I'm still up for Cedar's. It's been at least five years since I've
been there.

Ashley

rgcblackie

Aug 17, 2010, 8:07:03 AM8/17/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
I just went on Cedars website to look at their menu, and they appear
to have at least 25+ different hot and cold appetizers (almost all
from $5 to $7.50 each). That option seems perfect for ordering lots
of little plates among us and being able to sample a wide range of
flavors amongst new friends.

So, count me in for Cedar's on the 30th!!!!

-Rebeca-
(aka rgcblackie)

P.S.
Here's the site for the appetizers:

http://cedarsoforlando.com/menu2.htm

YosemiteSam

Aug 17, 2010, 9:51:38 AM8/17/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Cedars should be great as my wife was born in Beirut and speaks fluent
Arabic as well, so she can steer us through the menu to the good
stuff. Brace yourself for some Kibbe Nayeh.

So let's agree on Cedar's for Monday the 30th of August. I think 7 or
7:30 works best so folks can get home from work and if necessary
travel to the restaurant, but I know that some have babysitters so let
me know if 7:30 works for the group. I will also call to make sure
they are open as some resaurants close on Mondays (though usually not
on Restaurant Row)

I will need an official RSVP for reservations. So far I have

Me (+1)
Rebeca
Ashley (+1)

Ricky, can you make it? Meg? Tom I know is out this time (we'll plan
later in the week or weekend next time).

Sandwich_Sister (sorry, don't know your real name yet)?

Also, feel free to invite friends if you think they'd enjoy it.

Bill

rgcblackie

Aug 18, 2010, 1:08:08 PM8/18/10
to Orlando Restaurant Dining Group
Even though you already have me on your "definite" list, I am
confirming that I'll be at Cedar's at 7:30 PM on August 30th.

-Rebeca-
(aka rgcblackie)

Mugs Munny

Aug 24, 2010, 2:15:24 PM8/24/10
to orlando-restaur...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can make it to Cedar's on the 30th. I saw Anthony Bourdain in Beirut last night...I'm looking forward to the food. 7:30?

Meg